• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, the Ugly, and the Awful: Week 3 Edition

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Btw no offense to Buck Allen but he is definitely not a workhorse back and I would rather see Collins get more playing time.... He has no burst when watching him play. It drives me nuts.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not much positive from this game but I really liked the way Humphrey played and I'd like to see him start over Carr next week.

We really need BWill back next week. Absolutely no push from the dline and Jax is not known for their oline. To all the naysayers who said this man got overpaid.....

Now to main crux...Flacco! How the hell can he be so inaccurate. Maybe being embarrassed by getting benched will light a fire under his ass.

Also what about Martyball. S.O.B. throwing 3 straight run and catch passes to Buck Allen in the 2 min drill. Buck Allen!! He's our gotoo. Maclin should be the #1 target but yet they was trying to forcefeed Wallace. Can we throw to the sticks please. Pretty please!

It might be time to bring out the Dean Pees thread too but I highly blame the offense more than the D but it was a simply pathetic performance on both sides of the ball.

Flacco is a BUM man! Plain and simple! No amount of excuses can keep justifying this dudes declining and piss poor game play.

RavensDFan

Veteran
The bolded part is arguably debatable. I still recall the time when we went to Houston with a winning record and were outright obliterated by 30 to the tune of 13-43. We allowed a safety and threw an early pick-six to Jonathan Joseph, giving up 29 straight points before half-time. We score twice in garbage time. Defensively, we amassed no turnovers, allowed nearly 200 yards on the ground. That game sticks in my memory because we won the SuperBowl that year. The Broncos allowed 29 straight to Kansas City in 2015, with Peyton Manning going 5/20 and 4 INTs. Brock Osweiler managed to salvage the day with two scores in the last 5 minutes. They came away with the chip at the end of the season. And that's just looking back the last half-decade. I'm sure that there are more examples if we consider playoff teams as well, i.e. the 10-6 Dolphins last year whom we gave the business to last season. That's not at all to say that we're destined to either win the SuperBowl or earn a playoff berth, not by any means. And this game could very well an indication of things to come to a degree, or a turning point for the worst. I just don't subscribe to the notion that good teams are impervious to having awful games. That's not a statement that holds up from a historical standpoint.
Yeah we looked bad in that game and guess what? A coordinator was fired. However, as bad as we looked it was not a total meltdown like against the Jags. The stats back that up.

Ravenbran

Practice Squad
No, I'm saying that I think perhaps Stanley looked better last year because he had Yanda next to him helping him out for a lot of the season and now he has James Hurst, who isn't Yanda.
Totally different blocking scheme this year. Yanda has no comparison period. ANYWHERE. If I am understanding you right Stanley must not be the saving grace everyone thinks he is.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's also inexplicable. He could go out next week and play great.

He "could" but "will" he?

Because to me, at this point, and after seeing this BUM for 10 years now....he could also go out there and keep being Flacco.

I'll see firsthand cause I'm attending Sundays game vs the Steelers. Hopefully, the RAVENS can get the job done.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Totally different blocking scheme this year. Yanda has no comparison period. ANYWHERE. If I am understanding you right Stanley must not be the saving grace everyone thinks he is.
First it's not like Yanda has never been in a power scheme. We haven't always been a ZBS team. Stanley is a 2nd year player and although it always helps having a good player next to you so you don't have to help that player out, which does happen all the time, the OL is a chain, if one isn't doing well it tends to bring down the rest. The only player that didn't have a complete failure on the OL this week was Jensen. Everyone else was a complete bust.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The biggest issue with this FO is that they have invested in mid round DE's such as Urban, Kaufusi, Henry among others and quite frankly, all of them are at best average.

i think the FO's philosophy is dated and it even reflects on our QB.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can’t Take Issue With Jaguars Running up Score
The Ravens who spoke on the podium after the game didn’t indicate that they were upset with Jacksonville for piling it on, running a fake punt with a 37-point lead in the fourth quarter. The surprise call produced a big gainer that set up a touchdown that increased the margin to 44 points, and I’m sure some fans and possibly some in the Ravens’ locker room are upset. But this is pro football, not high school. I always go back to how Joe Gibbs, a Hall of Fame coach, reacted when Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots ran up the score similarly on the Washington Redskins in a 2007 blowout. “I have no problems with any of it,” Gibbs said. He went on to explain that what really bothered him was his team played so poorly it was in position to have such indignities heaped on it. Bingo. That’s the story.

^ This isn't college ball. If our defense/special teams can't stop a cold, then run the score up on their asses!

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He "could" but "will" he?

Because to me, at this point, and after seeing this BUM for 10 years now....he could also go out there and keep being Flacco.

I'll see firsthand cause I'm attending Sundays game vs the Steelers. Hopefully, the RAVENS can get the job done.
Just a guess but I'd say the entire team comes out with a fire lit under them.
in Joe's case and with our offensive struggles generally, I'd say this will amount to three or four drives resulting in Justin Tucker field goals accompanied by one touchdown.

I doubt Joe stinks it up thoroughly.

One would hope for more than that your franchise player won't, "stink it up thoroughly" but it appears as if that is about where we are.

Yeah - no point in including "The Good" as a part of this one, because there wasn't any. The list of ugly is too long to enumerate. It was the easily the most embarrassing performance I've ever seen the Ravens put on.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just a guess but I'd say the entire team comes out with a fire lit under them.
in Joe's case and with our offensive struggles generally, I'd say this will amount to three or four drives resulting in Justin Tucker field goals accompanied by one touchdown.

I doubt Joe stinks it up thoroughly.

One would hope for more than that your franchise player won't, "stink it up thoroughly" but it appears as if that is about where we are.

It's where we've always been with this dude.

My reality @Edgar is that I've never trusted or believed in Flacco from day one. And, neither has my mind changed about him after 10 years of watching and witnessing his performances over the years. Sure, thanks for the Super Bowl run in 2012 Joe the reality is that I can also thank Boldin, Rice, Pitta, Torrey, Jacoby, Ray, Ed, Webb, Suggs, Ngata, and Jimmy Smith etc. It wasn't just Joe that produced that SB. But other than that what else has Joe done for us to celebrate him?

We keep having the same ole conversations about him year after year after year for 10 seasons now. Let's just cut to the chase-He is trash! He has "moments" or "flashes" of being a good QB. But after 10 years.....10 years of being the "starting" QB for the Ravens....should he still be having "moments" or "flashes" of being a good QB or....SHOULD HE BE....a good QB and a damn good one by now?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Stanley is suffering from a few factors. I think he needs to get into the mix and getting hurt could be affecting him and he could be playing through it. He could also be suffering from losing a HoF G next to him like he had for a lot of last year. He could also be suffering from also having a sophomore slump. It’s also possible he is getting exposed due to not having Yanda. Take the scheme tweak into account, because we ran power last year just not a lot, and that’s also another possibility. I know I certainly don’t have the answer why only theories and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a combination of all the above and more. It’s his second year and he’s a high first round pick so we have to hope he’ll rebound regardless.

First it's not like Yanda has never been in a power scheme. We haven't always been a ZBS team. Stanley is a 2nd year player and although it always helps having a good player next to you so you don't have to help that player out, which does happen all the time, the OL is a chain, if one isn't doing well it tends to bring down the rest. The only player that didn't have a complete failure on the OL this week was Jensen. Everyone else was a complete bust.
Yeah. Maybe he’s having bad games or maybe it’s mpre or it could be any number of different reasons. I’m a hard to say what’s wrong unless you’re actually on the team and know everyone’s job and role.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Can’t Take Issue With Jaguars Running up Score
The Ravens who spoke on the podium after the game didn’t indicate that they were upset with Jacksonville for piling it on, running a fake punt with a 37-point lead in the fourth quarter.
The surprise call produced a big gainer that set up a touchdown that increased the margin to 44 points, and I’m sure some fans and possibly some in the Ravens’ locker room are upset. But this is pro football, not high school. I always go back to how Joe Gibbs, a Hall of Fame coach, reacted when Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots ran up the score similarly on the Washington Redskins in a 2007 blowout. “I have no problems with any of it,” Gibbs said. He went on to explain that what really bothered him was his team played so poorly it was in position to have such indignities heaped on it. Bingo. That’s the story.

^ This isn't college ball. If our defense/special teams can't stop a cold, then run the score up on their asses!
lol.....That's a completely inverse statement. College(and also high school to an extent) football rankings are often refined/gauged by point differential so it could be very helpful for a college/high school team to run up a score. And of course it means less than nothing in pro football. You don't get more Ws or a higher "ranking" for a greater point differential. I guarantee that any intelligent professional coach is not running up the score against a division opponent that they know they will face again in the same year or following year. That would be dumber than dumb. lol And yes, no matter what is said you better believe most professional players/coaches think it's a classless move.

edit......Just noticed this is in the General Front 7 thread?

Last edited:
I try not to trash Joe because we could do a lot worse, see: Kyle Boller, but Joe has been playing poorly and living off his fluke SB run for 5 years now.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol.....That's a completely inverse statement. College football rankings are often refined/gauged by point differential so it could be very helpful for a college team to run up a score. And of course it means less than nothing in pro football. You don't get more Ws for a higher point differential. I guarantee that any intelligent professional coach is not running up the score against a division opponent that they know they will face again in the same year or following year. That would be dumber than dumb. lol And yes, no matter what is said you better believe most professional players/coaches think it's a classless move.

edit......Just noticed this is in the General Front 7 thread?

Wrong thread but the right information. Sue me @Tank. :p

My statement was in response to our Ravens players who like me, also saw no problem with the Jags attempting to "run up" the score with that bit of "trickeration" that they pulled. In the context of college ball running up the score whether it be for rankings or not is more frowned upon. Kind of like an unwritten rule or law. A common courtesy or respect if you would. However, this is the NFL man! You know, where grown ass men play! The only coaches that truly may have problems with the score getting ran up are those who are getting it run up on. If they don't like it-stop it!