• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, the Ugly, and the Awful: Week 3 Edition

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Wrong thread but the right information. Sue me @Tank. :p

My statement was in response to our Ravens players who like me, also saw no problem with the Jags attempting to "run up" the score with that bit of "trickeration" that they pulled. In the context of college ball running up the score whether it be for rankings or not is more frowned upon. Kind of like an unwritten rule or law. A common courtesy or respect if you would. However, this is the NFL man! You know, where grown ass men play! The only coaches that truly may have problems with the score getting ran up are those who are getting it run up on. If they don't like it-stop it!
moved it for ya

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah we looked bad in that game and guess what? A coordinator was fired. However, as bad as we looked it was not a total meltdown like against the Jags. The stats back that up.
That he was. Cam Cameron. After Week 14, a loss to Washington. Seven weeks after the aforementioned loss. I didn't expect for the guess to be literal. The notion being debated was that no good team has a game with total meltdowns on both sides. Both games were total meltdowns, and the stats back that up. If you wish to argue the semantics of losing by 37 instead of 30, be my guest, but then we're debating the degrees of meltdowns and not whether they actually occurred.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's where we've always been with this dude.

My reality @Edgar is that I've never trusted or believed in Flacco from day one. And, neither has my mind changed about him after 10 years of watching and witnessing his performances over the years. Sure, thanks for the Super Bowl run in 2012 Joe the reality is that I can also thank Boldin, Rice, Pitta, Torrey, Jacoby, Ray, Ed, Webb, Suggs, Ngata, and Jimmy Smith etc. It wasn't just Joe that produced that SB. But other than that what else has Joe done for us to celebrate him?

We keep having the same ole conversations about him year after year after year for 10 seasons now. Let's just cut to the chase-He is trash! He has "moments" or "flashes" of being a good QB. But after 10 years.....10 years of being the "starting" QB for the Ravens....should he still be having "moments" or "flashes" of being a good QB or....SHOULD HE BE....a good QB and a damn good one by now?
Well, we differ in that I was a Flacco apologist until fairly recently.
I've never believed Flacco works hard enough off the field....In this regard he has not fulfilled his end of the bargain in terms of the owners expectation that he would lead this team.

Not in a rah rahi-sh manner mind you but I'm certain it was anticipated he would study film, organize off season workouts, and generally out work everyone else. In this way he was expected to lead. He hasn't and I'm not sure he cares to.

If he works as hard to be great and still doesn't measure up, at least then we can say that it isn't for lack of effort, commitment and perseverance.

If you can't set an example as to what sort of work and study goes into being great or exemplify a desire to be great AND your on field productivity is unworthy, why on earth wound anyone follow?

In this way, most of all he has let down the organization.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That he was. Cam Cameron. After Week 14, a loss to Washington. Seven weeks after the aforementioned loss. I didn't expect for the guess to be literal. The notion being debated was that no good team has a game with total meltdowns on both sides. Both games were total meltdowns, and the stats back that up. If you wish to argue the semantics of losing by 37 instead of 30, be my guest, but then we're debating the degrees of meltdowns and not whether they actually occurred.
that being said, nothing compares to the meltdown Washington had against the Bears when they lost 73-0. Nothing, just sayin...

Tank

Hall of Famer
Wrong thread but the right information. Sue me @Tank. :p

My statement was in response to our Ravens players who like me, also saw no problem with the Jags attempting to "run up" the score with that bit of "trickeration" that they pulled. In the context of college ball running up the score whether it be for rankings or not is more frowned upon. Kind of like an unwritten rule or law. A common courtesy or respect if you would. However, this is the NFL man! You know, where grown ass men play! The only coaches that truly may have problems with the score getting ran up are those who are getting it run up on. If they don't like it-stop it!
Gotta disagree with you here, never heard anyone, anywhere, anytime discredit a college team for running up a score. It's how they build their resumes to move up in the rankings, make it to bowl games, etc.. It's always been a part of the collegiate game.
However I'm sure you have watched countless professional games where the team has the game locked up and simply kills the game and clock, not choosing to score when they could easily do so. There is the "unwritten rule" you refer to.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
that being said, nothing compares to the meltdown Washington had against the Bears when they lost 73-0. Nothing, just sayin...

I remember that game. I had to hold the TV antennas so we could get reception. My dad kept yelling "To the right. To the right" which was actually to my left and that was quite confusing to a 9 yr old kid.

If you believe that I got more. ^_^

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The thing is, we used to be able to count on him to at least show up. Yesterday he seemingly didn't.

In fairness, some of his good plays were nullified by penalties and Maclin should have caught that ball that was intercepted. But Joe isn't Joe anymore. I hope he can snap back and be Joe again, but he hasn't looked like joe in a long time. And it makes me sad because he was and is my favorite player. Idk why but he just doesn't seem comfortable anymore, and he needs to identify the problem and correct it. He needs to be the leader of this offense.
I don't think Maclin should have caught that one, but it shouldn't have been intercepted, either. That was an absurdly lucky bounce for the Jaguars and I'm shocked that they even made that into an interception.

But, I'm with you- I do expect Joe to show up and at least generally be decent. He was bad from an expectations standpoint against the Bengals, but he led drives and helped the team to the win. He looked markedly better against the Browns. Then, there was this... I just... this game was so bad that it might be historically bad.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I'm not a big fan of Correa or Wormley either, but it is what it is with them. I especially think it was a good idea to get my man Pat Elflein, but of course Ozzie and crew know best and decide to not go for him when he is there and don't try to trade up to get him. I really hate how we sit on our hands because I would've traded Clark or Siragusa for Elflein for sure. I'm sorry to say but I was a huge fan of Elflein for the entire draft so I'm not at all surprised by how well he has done. He was one of the easiest picks and guys to scout on OL in a while. Siragusa may be good, but he's hurt so that's hard to say and predict. I still like him, and Wormley is a decent player, but sometimes you have to go up and get the guy and that's something I feel we fail to do--we too often sit on our hands and let the draft board fall to us and we just don't get as aggressive as I'd like to see. .
Amen to that, I could not agree more. You got to go grab guys who you know will play like a Raven when they are still on the board. Again I am a fan of trading up not back.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
While there isn't really much to be said, I did a wrap up article for the game yesterday. Just an ugly all around game that had me reeling. This loss might be the most brutal that I have seen.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta disagree with you here, never heard anyone, anywhere, anytime discredit a college team for running up a score. It's how they build their resumes to move up in the rankings, make it to bowl games, etc.. It's always been a part of the collegiate game.
However I'm sure you have watched countless professional games where the team has the game locked up and simply kills the game and clock, not choosing to score when they could easily do so. There is the "unwritten rule" you refer to.

I can appreciate the knowledge that you dropped here. But here is an older article that validated both, what you mentioned and what I perceive to be the attitude of some concerning running up the score in college ball:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...urban-meyer-wanted-more-points-and-thats-okay

Notice what was stated in the article:

OSU almost certainly could have taken a knee at the Oregon one-yard line and still won the game, and Urban Meyer's decision to win by 22, rather than by 15, upset a lot of people. To them, this was running up the score. Forbes writer Mike Ozanian wrote that Meyer is a hypocrite for saying he believes in God and also trying to score a few extra points in a football game. Or something. The Oregonian's Jason Quick said it showed a "lack of class" from Meyer.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I can appreciate the knowledge that you dropped here. But here is an older article that validated both, what you mentioned and what I perceive to be the attitude of some concerning running up the score in college ball:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...urban-meyer-wanted-more-points-and-thats-okay

Notice what was stated in the article:

OSU almost certainly could have taken a knee at the Oregon one-yard line and still won the game, and Urban Meyer's decision to win by 22, rather than by 15, upset a lot of people. To them, this was running up the score. Forbes writer Mike Ozanian wrote that Meyer is a hypocrite for saying he believes in God and also trying to score a few extra points in a football game. Or something. The Oregonian's Jason Quick said it showed a "lack of class" from Meyer.

Dude.......that was the National Championship game, AKA The last game of the year. There was nothing left for OSU to gain, so yeah, it was classless to score there. lol

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dude.......that was the National Championship game, AKA The last game of the year. There was nothing left for OSU to gain, so yeah, it was classless to score there. lol

Ummm, dude........I don't give a damn about what game it was. Lol

You stated that you; "never heard anyone, anywhere, anytime discredit a college team for running up a score". All I did was post an article that said otherwise. It's all good man.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
LOL!!!

Ummm, dude........I don't give a damn about what game it was. You stated that no one ever gets upset over running up the score at the collegiate level. The article says otherwise....right? Someone even called it "classless".
You are kidding. Right?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
John Harbaugh has successfully hurt people on two different continents. Jesus, he's growing more powerful by the day.

September 25th. John Harbaugh hurts someone in the city of England.
September 26th: All citizens of England Injured...

THAT BASTARD

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Honestly, I'm going to have treat them like a divisional rival since we play them almost every year. FUCK the Jags.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
John Harbaugh has successfully hurt people on two different continents. Jesus, he's growing more powerful by the day.

September 25th. John Harbaugh hurts someone in the city of England.
September 26th: All citizens of England Injured...

THAT BASTARD
I don't blame Harbaugh at all. I believe the person causing these injuries is sami84. I think he has super powers.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I don't blame Harbaugh at all. I believe the person causing these injuries is sami84. I think he has super powers.
OF COURSE. Harbaugh is running his cult in worship of Sami. His prepetual negativity is going to cause Harbaugh to injure everyone in the world. My mother just broke her wrist.

DAMN YOU SAMI AND HARBAUGH