• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Obligatory Joe Flacco Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Regardless of the talent around him, I really hope he gets his mechanics right.
This is the thing that really pisses me off. He is constantly throwing off his back foot. He says that the brace didn't bother him last year and that he will be wearing it again, but if it didn't bother him, what's the excuse.

I'm a Flacco supporter, but if your going to fix your accuracy, mechanics come first.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
The grass isn't always (and usually never is) greener on the other side. With that said, he has to tighten up his mechanics and stop throwing off of his back foot because that was painful to watch.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Creating a Flacco dump thread is a noble pursuit, but ultimately every thread has the potential to devolve into an indictment on Flacco because there are those who believe he is the cause of every ill.

I understand those who get frustrated with the notion that criticizing Joe for anything is trolling. He is not beyond reproach ... far from it IMO. But at the same time, it does get ridiculous when other threads go off the rails when they end up becoming all about Joe.

It goes off the rails all about Joe because there are fans that talk as if he is beyond reproach. And the chat blows up from there. It isn't all because of the critics. Most fans are middle of road. Joe has the skills but has to play better to justify.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
We've all suffered through the "Boller/Wright/Banks/Grbac, etc." era. Let's not do that again.

I'm friends with a Packers fan. They say this same shit about Aaron Rodgers. This beef about Flacco is nothing new around the league.

Flacco has underperformed since that Super Bowl season, yes. But there are several mitigating factors, and when you've got a QB who's had winning seasons and his postseason track record and a magical Super Bowl run, he earns leeway for quite a few years -- just look at turnover-happy Brett Favre. The difference is, Favre's numbers would offset a lot of his criticism. Flacco's not Favre and will never be, but that's not what this team asks of him.

I'd rather watch our team keep every game close, than to watch them get their skulls beaten out every Sunday like the Browns, Jags, Niners, etc.

Lord how soon people forget and I wouldn't be surprized if a lot of these guys didn't become fans until after we got Joe but hey man we can always call Stony Case.

flynismo

Practice Squad
We've all suffered through the "Boller/Wright/Banks/Grbac, etc." era. Let's not do that again.

I'm friends with a Packers fan. They say this same shit about Aaron Rodgers. This beef about Flacco is nothing new around the league.

Flacco has underperformed since that Super Bowl season, yes. But there are several mitigating factors, and when you've got a QB who's had winning seasons and his postseason track record and a magical Super Bowl run, he earns leeway for quite a few years -- just look at turnover-happy Brett Favre. The difference is, Favre's numbers would offset a lot of his criticism. Flacco's not Favre and will never be, but that's not what this team asks of him.

I'd rather watch our team keep every game close, than to watch them get their skulls beaten out every Sunday like the Browns, Jags, Niners, etc.

Sup Franny?? Long time! ^_^

It's funny you mention that; I hear Packers fans complaining about Rodgers, SEA fans complaining about Wilson, and don't even get me started on ATL fans.

People see the trees in front of them, acknowledge they exist, and then pretend it doesn't matter anyway. Sigh...

flynismo

Practice Squad
I understand those who get frustrated with the notion that criticizing Joe for anything is trolling. He is not beyond reproach.

Criticizing is one thing; claiming that he needs to go is a whole different story. Borderline trolling in my opinion.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It really doesn't matter what he is being paid. As has been repeated ad nauseum it was market rate for a franchise QB at the time, it is what it is. That said, the offense around Flacco has been in flux(to put it mildly) since 2013. Add to that the knee and you have sub par performance, ish happens.

The Ravens have done some things to bolster the O line but the C position is still up in the air. And while they haven't added any quality in the receiving corp the hope is some of the young WRs and TEs step up this year. If the line strengthens the run game and protection will follow. Flacco is the least of worries on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:

K-Dog

MVP
Criticizing is one thing; claiming that he needs to go is a whole different story. Borderline trolling in my opinion.
THIS.
The whole bench / cut thing is BEYOND ridiculous. Flacco is the best QB on the team. No question.
What QB free agent is better?
I will help, none.
Is there better QB's than Flacco? Of course, but they are not on our team and getting them on our team would be more costly than you can imagine.

RavensDFan

Veteran
Awww damn! Here we go!

Commence Flacco defending in 3....2....1 GO!!

Didn't take long lmbo

Was bound to happen anyway first time the offense struggled in a game. But I mean, if we give the defense an excuse for one injury and call the defense good & dominant when they are giving up 21 pt 4th quarters and routinely collapsing at the end of games, then a needy offense completely ignored in the off season should be given a pass for the entire season. Flacco included.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ill address two things straight away and i feel like it's how most people on these boards and br.com felt:

1) flacco did not play well enough last year for a number of reasons - maybe the injury affected him still (quite likely), maybe the lack of oline help affected him, maybe his mechanics werent good enough and maybe he wasnt making good enough reads - half of those things flacco cant help and may even affect the other two things

2) flacco didnt play well enough last year and probably the year before as well (pre-injury) which i think comes down to 2 things... the mechanics and the reads - his mechanics have been off and ill give him the excuse that maybe the knee injury put him off in terms of being able to get comfortable and have better footwork but he looks wooden at the moment and nervous to step up in the pocket partly that's seeing ghosts from bad oline play and partly just bad footwork - the 2nd problem is the bad reads and sometimes missing the open man which can also partly be attributed to the bad oline play and rushing his reads and not letting routes develop, partly lacking chemistry with receivers and partly just not maybe understanding the trestman/morninwehg offence as well as he should

my point overall is that flacco played badly but not badly enough that he should be considered non-viable as a long-term option and that a number of factors contributed to his poor play - some which he could have improved himself and some which were outside of his control

and here are some reasons to feel positively about flacco (not necessarily the offense as a whole) - he is an extra year removed from the injury and definitely improved towards the end of the year (e.g. miami, pittsburgh on christmas day), he has a whole offseason to work on his conditioning and his mechanics with morninwehg before he even gets to training camp, the offensive system is moving to a power system which suits the offense a little better which should hopefully give flacco some relief: yanda will be healthy and stanley will be a year older in the system and he looked incredible towards the end of the season

despite the oline losses and lack of wr additions there are a multitude of reasons to believe flacco will be better
any talk of getting rid of flacco before 2019/2020 is stupid because it's financially unfeasible and any talk of benching him at this point is also stupid because he's shown himself to be a franchise qb able to win a superbowl which not many qbs with better supporting casts have been able to do (case in point... alex smith, any texans qb, tannehill, dalton (not even one playoff game), ryan (harsh i suppose), rivers, romo)

so i agree that flacco needs to improve but i disagree with the idea that he is unable to or is just garbage and i disagree that there were no mitigating factors to his bad play

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2 But, but the comprehensuv plan... jk

I totally agree with what you're saying and I don't think Flacco deserves half the hate that he gets.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Didn't take long lmbo

Was bound to happen anyway first time the offense struggled in a game. But I mean, if we give the defense an excuse for one injury and call the defense good & dominant when they are giving up 21 pt 4th quarters and routinely collapsing at the end of games, then a needy offense completely ignored in the off season should be given a pass for the entire season. Flacco included.

I definitely don't like the fact that Ozzie didn't draft any high quality receivers that were available to give Flacco more "weapons" as people like to say. However, If my memory serves me correctly, I saw the videos where both Flacco and Wallace said that the Ravens were good with the receivers that they already have. Whaaaat? Smh! Perhaps, that was a reason why none were drafted as well? If that's the case, now I'm wondering what do they and the coaching staff see in those other young receivers that we haven't seen? The Ravens also have a stable of RB's and TE's that can be utilized. IF....IF....the Ravens can stabilize that O-line, then the multiple excuses for the piss poor offense that we've witnessed lately should be nullified!

Flacco needs a ground game to lean on and pass protection, another first round receiver isnt going to change anything.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Flacco needs a ground game to lean on and pass protection, another first round receiver isnt going to change anything.
Are you the same blood raven that hasn't posted on br.com in about 2 years?
[doublepost=1494333273,1494333124][/doublepost]
I definitely don't like the fact that Ozzie didn't draft any high quality receivers that were available to give Flacco more "weapons" as people like to say. However, If my memory serves me correctly, I saw the videos where both Flacco and Wallace said that the Ravens were good with the receivers that they already have. Whaaaat? Smh! Perhaps, that was a reason why none were drafted as well? If that's the case, now I'm wondering what do they and the coaching staff see in those other young receivers that we haven't seen? The Ravens also have a stable of RB's and TE's that can be utilized. IF....IF....the Ravens can stabilize that O-line, then the multiple excuses for the piss poor offense that we've witnessed lately should be nullified!
Player speak/coach speak. Hes hardly going to come and say camp is always injured, Moore has more drops than catches, Perriman is virtually unknown, pitta can hardly run 10 yards, Gilmore and Maxx are crocks and Boyle is one ped away from a yearly suspension please draft me a wr and tight end in the first is he?

Yeah that was me, admins didnt like my views so I chewed them out and quit.

I came back to the board last year as ALPHA

flynismo

Practice Squad
Yeah that was me, admins didnt like my views so I chewed them out and quit.

I came back to the board last year as ALPHA

Not gonna lie, I was pretty pissed when I noticed you stopped posting over there. Too many good people left that site for one reason or another. I stopped visiting much myself, between life and just tired of the same old same old that went on.
Anyway, new home, new start, new future!
[doublepost=1494345286,1494344936][/doublepost]

You know how that goes...they're not going to say "well fuck, I hope these WRs don't suck as bad as they do on paper!". Are they polishing a turd? Maybe. But I do think they are expecting Perriman to step up in a big way starting this season. If he does, then they'll be right; Perriman, Wallace and Pitta should be enough to get the job done on that end. It will then be up to Flacco, the OL and running game to do their part.
But if they're wrong about Perriman....we're in some shit.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Hey Mili! Whazzup!

The 3 WRs worthy of taking in the first round were gone by 16. I don't know, but they may have explored trading up but couldn't find the value. Anyway, I would expect Flacco and Wallace to be positive and say what they did if only to show confidence in the young guys already on the roster. Whether those guys pan out remains to be seen, but there are definitely some possibilities there in Perriman, Waller, Moore, Camp, etc..

It really sucks that Dixon won't be around for the first quarter of the season, have high hopes for him. Still West, Buck and Talifero are there. And damn! A couple of these TEs need to take the next step and become "that guy". Seems all of them have constant setbacks, but hopefully that will change.

Like you said, I think the key here is the O line, specifically C at this point. Get that wall built and it would seem the run, the pass, and good offensive production in general will follow. We shall see.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I was pretty pissed when I noticed you stopped posting over there. Too many good people left that site for one reason or another. I stopped visiting much myself, between life and just tired of the same old same old that went on.
Anyway, new home, new start, new future!

You know what was messed up? I took the high road and didnt even air those grievances on the boards, I just explained that I was leaving. I left notes for a few users and it was all scrubbed, everything I wrote in the past week. I could still see alerts from my frozen account asking what happened and by the time I made a burner account it was all deleted.
[doublepost=1494345731,1494345677][/doublepost]Ayyyyy Tank and Milli. Is that Tank 92?

Tiz

Practice Squad
Concerned with protection and dedication to running game first.

Not overly concerned with passing game as I think we actually do have a good blend of speed and short yardage targets there.

If joe eliminates some of the bad passes and ints he's prone to do the passing game will look better despite looking like we have less talent there.

I find the run game is productive/effective we will look much better overall.