• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Penalties and Everything Else

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the only way i see boykin having success here at this point is if he magically can convert to TE over the offseason a la Darren Waller (minus the off-field stuff that stopped him developing while he was here) but he'd have to put on 30lbs or so and his route tree would be completely new so it'd be like basically starting at square 1 with a rookie

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
the only way i see boykin having success here at this point is if he magically can convert to TE over the offseason a la Darren Waller (minus the off-field stuff that stopped him developing while he was here) but he'd have to put on 30lbs or so and his route tree would be completely new so it'd be like basically starting at square 1 with a rookie

I was saying this last week. But the more I've thought about it, I don't see it working either. Because for me, the switch to tight end from receiver is a physical one. But Boykin is not struggling in that department. He is struggling with this route tree. I'm not sure he can pick up another an specifically one he hasn't played his whole life. I'm pretty sure I'd take Perriman over Boykin at this point.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Also just gotta throw it out there we did that without BWill or Wolfe. Pretty impressive I'd say. Hopefully the bye let's us get healthy, super plan for Pitt, and add whatever we can to the offense.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
i just dont know that i could support that personally from a moral standpoint

but for sure, a player of that calibre who has a pre-existing relationship with lamar would be game-changing

I don't like the idea because as we saw with ET, is the reason we don't sign him. I'm banking on him being here with his cousin would keep him in check. Perhaps a 2 year deal loaded with incentives where he has to stay out of trouble off the field or he's cut. Put him on a very short leash, one screw up and he's out. So you know what.....

#SIIE

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
i really will be interested in the snapcounts for these 2 - felt like they werent part of the offence outside of duvernay in the initial gamescript again

coaches film is going to be interesting (not necessarily in a positive way) this week

Out of 73 official snaps, I have:
  • Brown - 62
  • Snead - 49
  • Boykin - 33
  • Duvernay - 26
  • Proche - 0 (on the field for a false start only)
After the D3 mixup where it seemed like Lamar was expecting a comeback and Boykin ran a vert (Q3, 01:47), Boykin only took 2 of 18 snaps (includes 2 kneels). This was run the clock out time, so typical Boykin snaps.
Instead, we got:
  • Brown - 14
  • Snead - 11
  • Duvernay - 8
  • Boykin - 2
I'm very curious to see if Duve is WR2 after the bye.

edit: snap totals confirmed in Game Book

what was his injury?

Hand, but I wonder if it was actually enough to keep him from playing or if the coaches had just seen enough.

edit: Phillips is visibly in pain after the snap at (Q3, 2:25), and we can see him run off the field on the broadcast

Last edited:

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
So here's something I noticed. In the few games before today, Lamar had been struggling to hit Hollywood for deep balls. Was there a single deep strike thrown today? No. Lamar admits this week his knee was feeling much better, what did we see this week, designed runs for Lamar and scrambles that were effective. Something is just telling me that the reason we're performing so poorly on offense is because Roman isn't even calling the games he'd ideally like to. I think the offense was set up to feast rushing the ball, without yanda and with dedication by defenses, we haven't been able to impose our will. Subsequently, Roman has tried other things like the bootlegs to get him put of the pocket as well as multiple deep strikes per game to Hollywood, but none of it has worked even occasionally. I think we were not set up for the situation where we can't pound the rock. But on top of that we have bouts where Andrews, Hollywood, and Snead have bricks for hands and Boykin is on another planet. I am not an apologist for anyone, but like half the time I'm amazed Lamar does what he does given we're not moving the ball on the ground, he's constantly running for his life and his receivers drop passes. He's not immune to playing bad he's been bad basically all year. But the thing is you see overwhelmingly on the plays where he gets protection and his guy is open he makes good. In short it means Lamar is basically doing the bare minimum of an NFL quarterback this year and he's just not being put in a position to flourish by both his surrounding cast and the coaching staff.

Only 2 attempts over 20 yards (and I think they were both comebacks; the completion certainly was).

pass-chart_JAC323395_2020-REG-6_1603053710696.jpeg

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
What I didn't appreciate was the lack of effort on a couple of those big plays specifically the Wentz scramble. It was almost like, "Eh....let em have this moment."

Oh @JoeyFlex5 , did I not say that this would be one of those games where we'd be saying "how the fuck did he make that catch?"

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
What I didn't appreciate was the lack of effort on a couple of those big plays specifically the Wentz scramble. It was almost like, "Eh....let em have this moment."

Oh @JoeyFlex5 , did I not say that this would be one of those games where we'd be saying "how the fuck did he make that catch?"
Queen's attempt at a tackle was terrible

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Queen's attempt at a tackle was terrible

Truly awful.

I'm also mad at his dropped interception. Pretty sure he walks into the EZ on it (who's catching him?). Would have saved us all a bunch of stress (15 point swing).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
  • Brown - 62
  • Snead - 49
  • Boykin - 33
  • Duvernay - 26
After the D3 mixup where it seemed like Lamar was expecting a comeback and Boykin ran a vert (Q3, 01:47), Boykin only took 2 of 18 snaps (includes 2 kneels). This was run the clock out time, so typical Boykin snaps.
Instead, we got:
  • Brown - 14
  • Snead - 11
  • Duvernay - 8
  • Boykin - 2

Hand, but I wonder if it was actually enough to keep him from playing or if the coaches had just seen enough.

thanks for the breakdown that's really useful
the problem with duvernay as WR2 right now is that while he's a major threat to defences he's not a great route runner yet which is fine because he wasn't supposed to be straight out of college (where he was also fairly raw) but it would be surprising to me if he wasnt featured more and given a ton of slants, posts and corners to run - seeing the routes he was asked to run this week against the eagles will be interesting to see on the coaches film this week

if the plan is to let him ascend up the depth chart (at least in terms of snap counts) then this bye is super important for him to build some chemistry with lamar and you know lamar's going to love what duvernay does with the ball in his hands

im disappointed that proche got no time at all - i thought he did well on his 5 routes last week - im hoping that the ineffectiveness of the offence right now allows him to get more looks because his route running looked really sharp out of the slot - he has the look of a release valve and is much twitchier than willie snead

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
  • Brown - 62
  • Snead - 49
  • Boykin - 33
  • Duvernay - 26
Instead, we got:
  • Brown - 14
  • Snead - 11
  • Duvernay - 8
  • Boykin - 2

I can't imagine a non inept coaching staff coming to any other conclusion than Duv is WR2. But I just don't understand why after 6 games we have 0 idea what we have in Proche. I'm really excited by him, but with no disrespect to him, if he's really going to get 0 offensive snaps, I'm pretty sure Duv can take punts. Might as well use his active spot for someone who can help if you're not going to play him. Thing is I'd expect proche, like Duv to outplay fucking Boykin. Maybe I'm wrong and he's awful, but if he has no snaps you just don't know. Doesn't it seem irresponsible to not assess your whole squad?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That's basically as concise as it gets. But unfortunately there's no prospects of the OLine getting better right?
that's really not true. They tend to get better as the season progresses with better chemistry.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Truly awful.

I'm also mad at his dropped interception. Pretty sure he walks into the EZ on it (who's catching him?). Would have saved us all a bunch of stress (15 point swing).

there was the queen potential pick 6, mcphee might have been making it to the endzone on his dropped pick too tbh - deshon dropped his too

and the one that really pissed me off the most though was the one that chuck clark actually caught but jihad ward managed to get a RTP call (legitimate call) to wipe it off just like the clark int that got called back for judon being offsides last week too

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
that's really not true. They tend to get better as the season progresses with better chemistry.

I agree with that. I just hope it is enough. Idk if a roster move or a position swap or startsr swap could be helpful. Did anyone look at Mekari and Powers from last week?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
there was the queen potential pick 6, mcphee might have been making it to the endzone on his dropped pick too tbh - deshon dropped his too

and the one that really pissed me off the most though was the one that chuck clark actually caught but jihad ward managed to get a RTP call (legitimate call) to wipe it off just like the clark int that got called back for judon being offsides last week too

You gotta think that many things going wrong again would be unlikely.