• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Lamar and The Ronnie

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So much ugly about this game and we still nearly won. But the loss is almost the least important part of this review.

We've got some real problems moving forwards now:

1. Ronnie's injury is a massive hurdle to overcome. We just lost the best pass blocking tackle and maybe the best left tackle overall in the league - this is a team that's already all over the place in the passing game and we just lost the second most important player on our team in that respect
  2. Lamar has looked fundamentally broken at times - missing too many easy ones and making poor reads - he did ok in that 2 minute situation at the end there and nearly won us the game but otherwise he's looked pretty awful now since at least week 3 and maybe earlier tbh - when pointing to the reasons that we lost this game you have to point straight at lamar
  3. The offensive playcalling has been uninspiring - the adjustments only really came at the end of the game which was too late - the damage was done and we'd already let them back in the game
  4. Turnovers killed us - lamar even when he's been playing poorly could at least hold onto the fact that he was careful with the ball - not today and it cost us
the defence was awesome - they gave up 2 drives in the whole game and you hate that they capitulated at the end but i dont think anyone could reasonably put this game on them in any shape or form

it's a bit worrying that we have terrell bonds playing high leverage snaps on defence but i wonder if that's matchup related because we had marlon shadowing juju and not in the slot like he has been

judon let his teammates down in probably the worst way of his career - it's one thing to give up a bone-headed flag, it's another to give up a flag and get ejected

Real problems to sort out.

JK Dobbins looks like the real deal though. He has obscene contact balance and he's only going to get better from here. This was against supposedly the best run defence in the league.

The running game was absolutely dominant overall today - normally when your team hits nearly 300 yds rushing against the number 1 rush defence in the league you expect the score to be a blowout.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
PI at end of the game should have been called . Pitt defender hits our player before the ball is there .

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
+Interior OL looked really good in the running game. Idk if this is because the Steelers were missing Alualu, but they created quite some space up front.
+Queen with another clutch play to stop the Steelers on 3rd down.
+Tucker being clutch as always.
+Duvernay made yet another great catch.
+Dobbins and Edwards should be our 1-2 punch moving forward.

- Lamar
- Too many fumbles by our WRs

ugly:
Judon
refs

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
One positive, maybe we see less of Ingram when he's healthy again.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Maybe my least favorite regular season game of the Lamar era. Very disappointed for a lot of reasons. We will be battling for the 5th seed.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
This loss is completely on Lamar. Just for this season, I'm losing A LOT of patience with him. He's regressing to rookie Lamar where I don't feel comfortable every time he drops back to pass. I say this in jest, but I wonder if Yannick cursed us. Vikings get their second win, we get our second loss.

Dobbins and Gus were absolute STUDS. Second time in a row where we b.i.t.ch slapped their run defense. Big Ben didn't even have 200 passing yards. Their running game wasn't impressive.

All in all, 5-2. Fuck the Browns. I rooted for these shitheads just to condense the Wild Card hunt and these bitches fold. Now, the Dolphins are also into play. I'm still fuming but whatever. Like I mentioned in the game day thread, I was hoping this game would go the same way the Steelers/Niners game did last season. The Niners had like 5 TOs or whatever but managed to win with a late-game TD. I'm convinced that the Steelers will go no worse than 14-2.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
So Dobbins is the real deal. Him and Gus need to handle running duties from now on. Mark can take a backseat.

GRo needs to go. He’s tapped out on creativity and we should just promote someone. Look what happened when we did that in 2012.

Judon should absolutely be traded tomorrow or the next day to recoup that 17 million. Start Bowser and Ferg. Both looked great and I saw Ferg set the edge quite nicely a few times.

Dez is NOT going to help this offense get better. A more creative OC will that can mask the offensive line deficiencies. Lamar is way too rattled and making stupid decisions. I expected the L but the loss of Ronnie makes it 10x worse.

In summation, we stuck around with an undefeated team and quite frankly should’ve won if it weren’t for the penalties and turnovers. That’s a bit encouraging. LOVED our running game today.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
just disappointing because everything outside of lamar today was good enough for us to win despite 2 starting OL going down and our starting edge getting ejected

I agree. The difference between these teams is actually kinda crazy. Should not have even been close. Should've been a blow out. I don't know if we can put it together. We've seen flashes from all parts but never together.