• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Lamar and The Ronnie

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brandon Marshall said this morning that teams haven’t figured Lamar out — they’ve figured Roman out, and I like this comment from a Ravens fan on Reddit:

“I’m 1000% on board with moving on from Roman after this season and turning this into a more traditional offense that occasionally calls old Roman running plays but mostly uses Lamar’s legs to extend plays and scramble.

If Lamar can’t succeed and grow his passing game under the tutelage of a different offensive coordinator who draws up a good passing scheme next year, then perhaps we start asking ourselves hard questions.”

you'd need to see him get that time with that new coordinator to be able to judge - basically youd have to see that change happen this offseason

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I didn't know whether I should post this here or in Lamar's thread.
I could buy in as to why Lamar regressed to a certain extent when our OL lacks Yanda and a healthy Skura - and now Stanley.
But this stat is brutal, we don't do much even from a clean pocket.

lamar has been bolting from a clean pocket all year - i think he got spooked during the browns game and he's never settled since - constantly seeing ghosts even when the pocket's clean

basically he looks rushed all the time even when he's got time where in 2019 he looked like he had all the time in the world even when he had a free rusher blitzing in his face

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I've watched the final play of the game on the coaches film and nothing really stands out to me as being an obvious miss:

i will say that snead doesnt feel like the best option to go to but he's also not the worst and boykin's not wide open as at least 1 notable idiot in the baltimore twittersphere has suggested

i dont like that lamar threw the ball so early though - he had time in the pocket and its the final play of the game and the ball's in the air before any of our guys had an opportunity to get to the endzone

Boykin's defender is clearly reading lamar and bails on boykin just as lamar's releasing - that being said though if boykin was everything we wanted (i.e. physical and could be trusted to box out defenders) then he's probably the guy lamar should be throwing to even with that coverage because he's got man-to-man with no safety help and he has a size advantage (ironically this is the kind of situation and play where you do kind of want to throw an endzone fade to dez bryant and give him a chance to make the play)

andrews and snead's routes were always gonna draw fitzpatrick to the ball based on his positioning - they're probably the 2 guys we shouldnt have been throwing to - now if lamar had pumped at snead and/or andrews he probably has hollywood coming open behind them

hollywood is the smallest guy but probably has the best shot of being open - the defender who covers him is so far off the ball that hollywood breaking in field gets him open and as long as lamar looks of/pumps off fitzpatrick then hollywood probably comes open - that being said this is purely hypothetical and he still doesnt look that open but if lamar can hold the safety then he's to me the best option on this play to be thrown open

duvernay like boykin is singled up outside and isnt really a threat or open when lamar throws - hard to say whether he could have got open if lamar hadnt thrown the ball so quickly

so nothing is obviously a mistake per se but there are things that id have preferred lamar do and see differently in that situation (especially if it comes to that again) - i dont think there was a great option but i think he picked one of the 2 most covered receivers on the field to throw to and he threw so quickly despite being clean in the pocket that he didnt really give the receivers much of a chance to get open

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
So I've watched the final play of the game on the coaches film and nothing really stands out to me as being an obvious miss (snipped for brevity)

Agreed. Regarding the early throw, I've seen fans speculate they were trying to get a 2nd play if necessary (and they were close). Not sure I buy it.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
I’m more concerned with what we have long term with Lamar than encouraged with our run game, honestly I find Lamar’s performance totally inexcusable, he absolutely cannot be triple clutching in the pocket, staring down first reads on shallow outs against zone drops, and just forcing throws in general. He was so reckless I can’t understand it, that’s never been his game and suddenly it feels like that’s all we’re seeing. It seems like he’s legit afraid to run because he doesn’t wanna be labeled

(Q1, 14:14)

(Q3, 14:09)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Regarding the early throw, I've seen fans speculate they were trying to get a 2nd play if necessary (and they were close). Not sure I buy it.

that’s not a great approach to have tbh - you only have 5 seconds so give the play you have a chance to succeed rather than hedging your bets

also don’t really buy it - if we had 6+ seconds then it’s more realistic (they already basically tried it on 1st down with 8 seconds left)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m more concerned with what we have long term with Lamar than encouraged with our run game, honestly I find Lamar’s performance totally inexcusable, he absolutely cannot be triple clutching in the pocket, staring down first reads on shallow outs against zone drops, and just forcing throws in general. He was so reckless I can’t understand it, that’s never been his game and suddenly it feels like that’s all we’re seeing. It seems like he’s legit afraid to run because he doesn’t wanna be labeled
I agree that it is totally inexcusable but I'm not worried long term.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Same here! I love Lamar's excitement, passion and enthusiasm to play and win games. I love how he hates to lose and yet at the same time, my eyes don't lie! Lamar is starting to look and play more and more like a rookie and like a dear looking in headlights on the field. I know he is a young man but to me, the NFL game is starting to look too big for him and I am wondering why is that all of a sudden? Cats can say what they want but he is starting to look bad. Bad enough to the degree that opposing defenses seem to know: "Shut Lamar down from running with his legs and FORCE HIM to beat us in the passing game-HE CAN'T DO IT!" Now why is that all of a sudden?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I've watched the final play of the game on the coaches film and nothing really stands out to me as being an obvious miss:

i will say that snead doesnt feel like the best option to go to but he's also not the worst and boykin's not wide open as at least 1 notable idiot in the baltimore twittersphere has suggested

i dont like that lamar threw the ball so early though - he had time in the pocket and its the final play of the game and the ball's in the air before any of our guys had an opportunity to get to the endzone

Boykin's defender is clearly reading lamar and bails on boykin just as lamar's releasing - that being said though if boykin was everything we wanted (i.e. physical and could be trusted to box out defenders) then he's probably the guy lamar should be throwing to even with that coverage because he's got man-to-man with no safety help and he has a size advantage (ironically this is the kind of situation and play where you do kind of want to throw an endzone fade to dez bryant and give him a chance to make the play)

andrews and snead's routes were always gonna draw fitzpatrick to the ball based on his positioning - they're probably the 2 guys we shouldnt have been throwing to - now if lamar had pumped at snead and/or andrews he probably has hollywood coming open behind them

hollywood is the smallest guy but probably has the best shot of being open - the defender who covers him is so far off the ball that hollywood breaking in field gets him open and as long as lamar looks of/pumps off fitzpatrick then hollywood probably comes open - that being said this is purely hypothetical and he still doesnt look that open but if lamar can hold the safety then he's to me the best option on this play to be thrown open

duvernay like boykin is singled up outside and isnt really a threat or open when lamar throws - hard to say whether he could have got open if lamar hadnt thrown the ball so quickly

so nothing is obviously a mistake per se but there are things that id have preferred lamar do and see differently in that situation (especially if it comes to that again) - i dont think there was a great option but i think he picked one of the 2 most covered receivers on the field to throw to and he threw so quickly despite being clean in the pocket that he didnt really give the receivers much of a chance to get open
Good write-up here, I didn't get to see this much of it so it is nice to know. Interesting how you say Lamar rushed the reads as if he was trying to hurry it up. Sounds like he should've just settled into it and tried to make the play rather than get jumpy. I feel like this has been a problem for him sometimes this year though where he rushes through rather than being patient. I've seen it running and throwing the football. It is certainly weird because last year he was so different.

That would make sense but then I kinda blame the coaches and specifically Roman. If that was the plan, then we shoud've not thrown it deep like that or told Lamar to quickly throw it away if his guy didn't get open immediately. We should've also done more creative WR sets out there and tried to do some misdirection and stack the line like they did against us earlier in the game. Truth is, that last play sounds like it was just bad coordinating from Roman more than anything. Roman didn't lose us the game but he certainly didn't help out Lamar.

Same here! I love Lamar's excitement, passion and enthusiasm to play and win games. I love how he hates to lose and yet at the same time, my eyes don't lie! Lamar is starting to look and play more and more like a rookie and like a dear looking in headlights on the field. I know he is a young man but to me, the NFL game is starting to look too big for him and I am wondering why is that all of a sudden? Cats can say what they want but he is starting to look bad. Bad enough to the degree that opposing defenses seem to know: "Shut Lamar down from running with his legs and FORCE HIM to beat us in the passing game-HE CAN'T DO IT!" Now why is that all of a sudden?
Lamar is great and I love the guy but he needs to fix himself. Honestly, I respect him a lot for being who he is but he also needs to speak up and address the elephant in the room. If there are issues with the OC and coordinating then they should talk otherwise this is a lingering problem. If they don't talk then I gotta blame Jackson there for not speaking up to correct it. He's the QB and face of this team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That would make sense but then I kinda blame the coaches and specifically Roman. If that was the plan, then we shoud've not thrown it deep like that or told Lamar to quickly throw it away if his guy didn't get open immediately. We should've also done more creative WR sets out there and tried to do some misdirection and stack the line like they did against us earlier in the game. Truth is, that last play sounds like it was just bad coordinating from Roman more than anything. Roman didn't lose us the game but he certainly didn't help out Lamar.

I don’t put that play on Roman because Lamar threw it so quick we don’t even really know what most of the play looked like - but the coordinators also mostly hamstrung at that point by the circumstances- every single route has to go to the end zone which limits what you can do creatively at that point - especially when you’re starting that far away from the endzone

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
(Q1, 14:14)

(Q3, 14:09)

Yeah, really bad snaps, like god damn that’s bottom Flacco tier. although I’ll say I’m starting to think I’m not being patient enough and

I ain’t gonna lie... I think if he hangs that one about 6ft over the back right pylon that’s six to duvernay

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I ain’t gonna lie... I think if he hangs that one about 6ft over the back right pylon that’s six to duvernay

idk i think the corner on duvernay sees lamar not looking his way at all so starts to creep that way and doesnt worry about the receiver who's only just getting to him as lamar releases

maybe it works but that would have to be one where lamar just decides pre-snap that he's going to find out what happens in that matchup vs reading post-snap