• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The OL Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Right now I'd take Kirk in the first. That would give us a very solid 1-2-3 punch and he's a great leader, plus adds value as a returner which is more than valuable here.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agree, With Crabtree in and I still think Ridley is gone at 16 then I agree McGlinchey is a great pick for us, but as I have been saying for weeks if James slides which is possible due to teams above needs and QB run...then run the pick in
Not sure he makes it past the skins, unless they go DL

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Hello all. I have never posted on here before, however I read a lot of what you post. Maybe I am slightly more optimistic than others on here, but I think next season has the potential to be a good one. The defense is mostly set and if there are improvements from players like Tony Jefferson and our previous draft picks, I think you will see a defense that doesn't choke. I also have much more faith in our supposedly more aggressive defensive coordinator. I was not entirely thrilled with Dean Pees. However, our offense was quite poor in the first half of the season and mediocre at best in the second half. Now we have lost Jensen and Howard and added Crabtree and Brown. I am quite fond of the additions of the wide receivers. I was also quite fond of the way our offensive line played last year, but now, 2/5ths of it is gone. Taking into consideration we will be getting Yanda, Lewis, and hopefully Siragusa back, there should be some options. Now I know I am rambling, so what is my point? I think that we can all agree that the passing game's ineffectiveness is what did us in last season. I believe wholeheartedly that the two additions we have already made plus a high draft pick will completely reshape this receiving corps. So my point is to be successful, I 100% believe that the offensive line is the highest priority. I don't know what their plans for Hurst are, but I sure hope our first round pick is an offensive lineman. Joe Flacco is no Derek Carr or even Carson Palmer. So I would naturally suspect that the receivers we brought in will have numbers less attractive than in their previous locations. However, if there is an offensive line that is dominant in the run game, and serviceable in the pass game, I think we can be a 10 win team. Recall that we will be getting Kenneth Dixon back. Collins and Dixon will make a good combination. If Joe has time to pass and there are legitimate threats in Crabtree and Brown on the field, I believe it opens up things for Perriman. Not saying this kid will have something click, but I believe he will be better than last year. I have high hopes for this team, but I feel so strongly that we are 1 dominant offensive lineman, one quality receiver, and a legitimate pass catching tight end away from being a 10 win team. Final thought. I honestly believe the Browns will be an 8 and 8 team next year. It's time to put up or shut-up. I'm ready, I hope you all are too.

Hello all. I have never posted on here before, however I read a lot of what you post. Maybe I am slightly more optimistic than others on here, but I think next season has the potential to be a good one. The defense is mostly set and if there are improvements from players like Tony Jefferson and our previous draft picks, I think you will see a defense that doesn't choke. I also have much more faith in our supposedly more aggressive defensive coordinator. I was not entirely thrilled with Dean Pees. However, our offense was quite poor in the first half of the season and mediocre at best in the second half. Now we have lost Jensen and Howard and added Crabtree and Brown. I am quite fond of the additions of the wide receivers. I was also quite fond of the way our offensive line played last year, but now, 2/5ths of it is gone. Taking into consideration we will be getting Yanda, Lewis, and hopefully Siragusa back, there should be some options. Now I know I am rambling, so what is my point? I think that we can all agree that the passing game's ineffectiveness is what did us in last season. I believe wholeheartedly that the two additions we have already made plus a high draft pick will completely reshape this receiving corps. So my point is to be successful, I 100% believe that the offensive line is the highest priority. I don't know what their plans for Hurst are, but I sure hope our first round pick is an offensive lineman. Joe Flacco is no Derek Carr or even Carson Palmer. So I would naturally suspect that the receivers we brought in will have numbers less attractive than in their previous locations. However, if there is an offensive line that is dominant in the run game, and serviceable in the pass game, I think we can be a 10 win team. Recall that we will be getting Kenneth Dixon back. Collins and Dixon will make a good combination. If Joe has time to pass and there are legitimate threats in Crabtree and Brown on the field, I believe it opens up things for Perriman. Not saying this kid will have something click, but I believe he will be better than last year. I have high hopes for this team, but I feel so strongly that we are 1 dominant offensive lineman, one quality receiver, and a legitimate pass catching tight end away from being a 10 win team. Final thought. I honestly believe the Browns will be an 8 and 8 team next year. It's time to put up or shut-up. I'm ready, I hope you all are too.
I like the optimism but ravens played so many back up qbs in 2017. We’re a center, right tackle, WR, TE, healthy Jimmy Smith, elite pass rusher either edge or interior, and a solid cover LB away from being a 10 win team. This roster is a mess. I think hitting on a center and right tackle with Yanda and Lewis coming back can win us 9 games at best next season

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I like the optimism but ravens played so many back up qbs in 2017. We’re a center, right tackle, WR, TE, healthy Jimmy Smith, elite pass rusher either edge or interior, and a solid cover LB away from being a 10 win team. This roster is a mess. I think hitting on a center and right tackle with Yanda and Lewis coming back can win us 9 games at best next season
Lol. So you need a perfectly complete roster to compete in the NFL. Cool

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
and we had more gametime missed per injury than any team in the league. No, we didn't lose a QB, but our QB in the first half of the season was playing worse than most of the backups we played in the 2nd half.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
and we had more gametime missed per injury than any team in the league. No, we didn't lose a QB, but our QB in the first half of the season was playing worse than most of the backups we played in the 2nd half.

He wasn't out but he was 100% not close to healthy.

How many seasons are we going to complain about injury? This has been going on since 2015. Either we’re stuck with bad luck, poor strength and conditioning coaches, or our players are just naturally more injury prone.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
How many seasons are we going to complain about injury? This has been going on since 2015. Either we’re stuck with bad luck, poor strength and conditioning coaches, or our players are just naturally more injury prone.
members are saying the only reason we did well in the 2nd half was due to the other QBs being injured. That's fair game.

members are saying the only reason we did well in the 2nd half was due to the other QBs being injured. That's fair game.
The value of a qb greatly outweighs other positions. I can say only Yanda and Jimmy Smith could’ve made a big impact on our roster if they would’ve stayed healthy, but I can also say Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck would’ve made a bigger impact on their rosters than any players on our roster that were hurt.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The value of a qb greatly outweighs other positions. I can say only Yanda and Jimmy Smith could’ve made a big impact on our roster if they would’ve stayed healthy, but I can also say Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck would’ve made a bigger impact on their rosters than any players on our roster that were hurt.
it does, but our QB was injured the entire first half. Basically rendering him useless as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The difference is that he played and the opposing teams qbs didn’t. If joe really wasn’t healthy I don’t think he would’ve played.
Whether you want to make an excuse about an injury or not is your choice. The fact of the matter is it did affect our team as a whole. We tend to play better with injuries than many teams do. Other teams with less injuries (and their qb) playing didn't do as well, including and not limited to the Skins our neighbors down the street.

Whether you want to make an excuse about an injury or not is your choice. The fact of the matter is it did affect our team as a whole. We tend to play better with injuries than many teams do. Other teams with less injuries (and their qb) playing didn't do as well, including and not limited to the Skins our neighbors down the street.
Skins lost both of their starting tackles thats huge.
And yet we did.
We had a lot of talent in 2011-2012. Injuries hurt us on the way in 2012 but they got healthy at the right time. Not to mention Flacco was on a rookie contract which allowed us to spend at other positions.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Skins lost both of their starting tackles thats huge.

We had a lot of talent in 2011-2012. Injuries hurt us on the way in 2012 but they got healthy at the right time. Not to mention Flacco was on a rookie contract which allowed us to spend at other positions.

The skins right tackle played every game last season. Trent Williams missed games 8 and 9 and 15 and 16. Seriously, let’s not talk about losing players on the offensive line. We lost one of the best lineman in the league in Yanda. Not to say we were stuck with Hurst and Skura playing guard. Now that’s huge!

We came one play away from making the playoffs with our injuries, but you can’t say we weren’t affected. It’s not an excuse, but we were affected by it.