• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 9 Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
A great win today! Proud the way our boys responded to trailing on the road against a tough team.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We won’t be getting rid of Roman anytime soon according to @rmcjacket23

get ready for the bullet points as to why
Actually, only need one this time...

Because fans ALWAYS think the solution to all problems is firing coaches. And in the history of the Ravens, it solved precisely ZERO problems.

Our offense didn't improve when we fired Cam Cameron. They just played better. The next year what happened? Ya'll wanted to run Jim Caldwell out of the building, and were ecstatic to see him go.

Firing Trestman didn't solve anything. Ya'll loved Marty. Then you ran him out of town too.
Then last year you heaped praise after praise after praise on Roman. Ya'll went to sleep at night deathly afraid that he would leave for a HC gig.

And now look at you. Ready to run away from another coach again after, what, less than 8 weeks?

How many OC's you gotta go through before you realize its not really about the OC? Half-dozen not a big enough sample size for you yet?

OC's don't play QB. Lamar should just play better. OC's don't block. Offensive lineman do. They should just block better.

Start there. Then we can talk about the OC.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Actually, only need one this time...

Because fans ALWAYS think the solution to all problems is firing coaches. And in the history of the Ravens, it solved precisely ZERO problems.

Our offense didn't improve when we fired Cam Cameron. They just played better. The next year what happened? Ya'll wanted to run Jim Caldwell out of the building, and were ecstatic to see him go.

Firing Trestman didn't solve anything. Ya'll loved Marty. Then you ran him out of town too.
Then last year you heaped praise after praise after praise on Roman. Ya'll went to sleep at night deathly afraid that he would leave for a HC gig.

And now look at you. Ready to run away from another coach again after, what, less than 8 weeks?

How many OC's you gotta go through before you realize its not really about the OC? Half-dozen not a big enough sample size for you yet?

OC's don't play QB. Lamar should just play better. OC's don't block. Offensive lineman do. They should just block better.

Start there. Then we can talk about the OC.

for what it's worth ive had some serious conceptual issues with what we've been doing this year especially through the first 6 games

i have not had any issues with the playcalling the last 2 weeks at all - the reasons for our offensive failings these last 2 weeks start and finish with execution - Lamar had an awful game against the steelers and Mekari and the interior OL had an awful game against the Colts (at least in the 1st half)

for me it's as simple as that - now the two can be linked - the poor OL play could help Lamar play awfully but that's not playcalling

the only thing that really might have changed playcalling yesterday having looked again was that we took what was given to us in the passing game - i dont know if that was Roman or Lamar but we took the 4 yd pass play and moved on to the next down - also seemed to have more options when lamar was "hot" too - will have to wait for the coaches film to be able to see if anything changed route combination-wise but my early sense is it didnt which goes back to that execution again

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
for what it's worth ive had some serious conceptual issues with what we've been doing this year especially through the first 6 games

i have not had any issues with the playcalling the last 2 weeks at all - the reasons for our offensive failings these last 2 weeks start and finish with execution - Lamar had an awful game against the steelers and Mekari and the interior OL had an awful game against the Colts (at least in the 1st half)

for me it's as simple as that - now the two can be linked - the poor OL play could help Lamar play awfully but that's not playcalling

the only thing that really might have changed playcalling yesterday having looked again was that we took what was given to us in the passing game - i dont know if that was Roman or Lamar but we took the 4 yd pass play and moved on to the next down - also seemed to have more options when lamar was "hot" too - will have to wait for the coaches film to be able to see if anything changed route combination-wise but my early sense is it didnt which goes back to that execution again
I'm largely done criticizing play calling. The only game I saw this year where I thought we got badly outcoached was KC.

Fans will never be happy with play calling. I've known this for over a decade. They expect perfection at every level, every week. Andy Reid has terrible games. So does Kyle Shanahan, and any other coach who calls plays in this league.

Quality football play can overcome bad coaching. It happens every week in this league. Bad football play can practically never be overcome by great coaching. Coaching is a pass/fail. OC's are evaluated purely based on the success of the play. The success of the play is 90% determined by the execution of the players.

If certain fans can't see that, so be it. They can keep calling for coaches to get fired all they want. It won't happen, and they'll have to learn to live with that disappointment.

It just boggles my mind that so many people think coaching changes, especially mid-season, actually make a difference. Why? Because it happened one time, and it really didn't change anything?

You're just going to replace him with another coach on the staff, none of which are anywhere near qualified enough to be an OC from what I've seen. Its not like you're going to get Lincoln Riley to come up here and call plays next week. Nobody is going to hire somebody off the streets to call plays in November.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I'm largely done criticizing play calling. The only game I saw this year where I thought we got badly outcoached was KC.

Fans will never be happy with play calling. I've known this for over a decade. They expect perfection at every level, every week. Andy Reid has terrible games. So does Kyle Shanahan, and any other coach who calls plays in this league.

Quality football play can overcome bad coaching. It happens every week in this league. Bad football play can practically never be overcome by great coaching. Coaching is a pass/fail. OC's are evaluated purely based on the success of the play. The success of the play is 90% determined by the execution of the players.

If certain fans can't see that, so be it. They can keep calling for coaches to get fired all they want. It won't happen, and they'll have to learn to live with that disappointment.
Ive never wanted a coach fired for that same reason you mentioned.. its not always the coach reason why shit goes bad.however, i do think roman can make some more adjustments. I dnt like how we shy away from run game when its working yet continue to run qb draws and rollout right when they clearly havent been useful..

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ive never wanted a coach fired for that same reason you mentioned.. its not always the coach reason why shit goes bad.however, i do think roman can make some more adjustments. I dnt like how we shy away from run game when its working yet continue to run qb draws and rollout right when they clearly havent been useful..
He's not perfect. And he deserves criticism, just like the players do.

It just seems odd that some people give players who aren't playing well longer leashes than coaches. Like he went from being somebody we can't afford to lose to somebody that people want canned in like 6 weeks. There's not a realistic argument possible for that. I give players more than 6 weeks of failure before I call for them to be canned... why would a coach get less? Especially a coach with a very recent track record of outstanding performance?

It just feels like a cop out to me.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
idk man i was all in on #FireTrestmann
Its not even so much that you can't ever fire an OC. You just need a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH bigger sample size than like 6 games of below average production to make that a thing.

I wouldn't have been on board with firing Trestman six games in. Neither were you.

Honestly I try not to put too much stock in these types of posts anyway. Its purely emotional. That's what the gameday thread is, and why I usually stay off of it. Its just emotional, rather than rational, reactions to real-time events.

I've looked back at my own gameday posts before a day or two later and been like "wow, that was really stupid". There is so much average to below average performance from our offensive personnel on the field at this point that I don't even know how anybody could evaluate a coach.

And by the way... who's decision you think it was to run up-tempo to start the 2nd half? I doubt it was Lamar's. Who's decision was it to come out throwing in the 2nd half, that pushed the defense backwards and helped setup the run game? It wasn't the fans... they want us to run, run, pass, on every sequence.

Two way street...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And by the way... who's decision you think it was to run up-tempo to start the 2nd half? I doubt it was Lamar's. Who's decision was it to come out throwing in the 2nd half, that pushed the defense backwards and helped setup the run game? It wasn't the fans... they want us to run, run, pass, on every sequence.

i wasnt criticising roman lol - i said above i had zero issues at all with his playcalling the last 2 weeks

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's not perfect. And he deserves criticism, just like the players do.

It just seems odd that some people give players who aren't playing well longer leashes than coaches. Like he went from being somebody we can't afford to lose to somebody that people want canned in like 6 weeks. There's not a realistic argument possible for that. I give players more than 6 weeks of failure before I call for them to be canned... why would a coach get less? Especially a coach with a very recent track record of outstanding performance?

It just feels like a cop out to me.

Now that's the truth! They are not the ones on the field and neither are the O.C./D.C. etc. The players themselves need to execute and play better period!

Status
Not open for further replies.