• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

AFC North

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree. I’m not a fan of relying on yardage allowed to measure a defense.

Precisely. A team could have a bad game and say give up 500 yds in one game which hurts your avg or give up chunk yardage if they have a sizeable lead in the 4th. Stuff like that. Gotta look more at turnover ratio and points given up. Yes I know the offense might fumble and give the ball up at their 10 lets say but you still supposed to keep them out of the endzone. Give up the 3 instead of 6 or give up 0.

This was always my complaint against Dean Pees where my argument was they wasn't clutch when we needed them to be especially at the end of each halves and they were lacking in turnovers but I'd hear they 5th rated and I'd be thinking so friggin what. They not delivering.

To me stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not saying they not important but man its overrated. You can have a WR bail out a QB on a TD pass with a ridiculous play or screw them over with a tip pass. You can have an MLB make 18 stops but 15 of them are 5 yds past the LOS. There's a whole bunch of different scenarios that skew stats.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The only reason it’s still used to evaluate the best defenses is it’s the lazy mans out and it’s not arguable whether a team has given up 350 ppg or 375. The rest of the ways to evaluate defenses are subjective because there is a lot of information that has to be analyzed, ie turnovers, sacks, Etc....

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
We talked about how strange this season has been. I think many of us chose our defense to be the best in the division. Well folks, as far as total yardage wise, we're the worst in the division.

Rankings:
Bengals - 2nd
Steelers - 4th
Browns - 5th
Ravens - 16th (yikes)

To be fair, the loss of Brandon Williams really has hurt us big time. Now granted, it's only week 6, but still...

16th in yards - what about points or turnovers or other metrics... we were 8th in yards last year but i definitely prefer this defensive addition to that one...

In yards allowed that Is absolutely correct, but just because they allowed the 16th fewest yards doesn’t mean they are the 16th defense overall.

Fellas, my quote of Dom was really focused on the use of the term "to be fair" (which he used in his explanation about the Ravens defense being 16th in yards) and not the actually yards themselves.

See, I loathe that term; "to be fair" in posts just as much as the term; "breakout". Why say; "to be fair" when explaining about a player or the team playing like ass? Just say what needs to be said and leave it at that instead of always trying to justify it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Fellas, my quote of Dom was really focused on the use of the term "to be fair" (which he used in his explanation about the Ravens defense being 16th in yards) and not the actually yards themselves.

See, I loathe that term; "to be fair" in posts just as much as the term; "breakout". Why say; "to be fair" when explaining about a player or the team playing like ass? Just say what needs to be said and leave it at that instead of always trying to justify it.
Well, to be fair, it’s not always as black and white as that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, to be fair, constantly mentioning the terms that I dislike in posts doesn't really bother me because they are forced and don't flow naturally. :lol:
Ok, you got me there. You know it’s all Message Board fun.

I have a thought, why don’t we put some encryption on the term “breakout” and “to be fair”.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
A bit old now (a week, give or take,) but one of the better sports video makers on youtube, UrimatingTree, did a fantastic video on the Steelers, completely running them down for all the arrogance of the media surrounding them and for the bad culture that has developed under Tomlin.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
A bit old now (a week, give or take,) but one of the better sports video makers on youtube, UrimatingTree, did a fantastic video on the Steelers, completely running them down for all the arrogance of the media surrounding them and for the bad culture that has developed under Tomlin.

We had that one posted right after the game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Didn’t @Lost_In_Translation post this already. No biggie, it’s good enough to be posted in every thread. Hell we could even sticky this video

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Didn't have to look far to see that dissatisfaction with your team's draft is not atypical. This was the first post I saw on the first Steelers page i visited.
That's right. Since the infamous 2008 one.

1) A reach for a raw safety who takes poor angles and is a suboptimal tackler?

2) This might be the best one (but that's a relative term), but an iffy route runner that's a one trick pony on deep threat?

3) A typical Big 12 QB who's so overinflated based on their scheme and spread offense.

3) We need an OT (who was raw and inconsistent)? Seriously? Even Munchak was surprised, direct quote: "Didn't think I'd be standing here today."

I am not sure we got better this whole draft. 3 of 4 offensive players?? I don't know if our war room was on crack but I honestly think they were. Some people need to be fired for sabotaging this football team. I cannot think of a SINGLE impact starter and we continue to waste Ben's last years. So ashamed to be a fan of the Steelers, who seem to be run by a bunch of TRAITORS.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The Browns are the definitive losers of the draft yet again..

The talent haul itself isn't the issue. They passed on the draft's best QB and best PLAYER. Sure, Mayfield is a good QB prospect, but Rosen is hands down so much better and Saquon is gonna be the runaway rookie of the year. Fucking Browns gonna brown.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
UrinatingTree is right though.. Steelers about to fall off a cliff HARD. Rudolph is not going to be the answer for them, they haven't made any real improvements to that defense. The offense will still be a juggernaut this season because of Bell, Brown. They had a few good additions on the offense in Washington and Samuels but overal.... They're fucked long term. Moment Ben goes down their screwed.

Want to know why our draft was awesome? Jackson is likely to suceed in the league and Ozzie has actually put the team in a rare position where we can now compete THIS year and are still gonna be fine for the future...

Good on you Steelers. Get fucked

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Browns are the definitive losers of the draft yet again..

The talent haul itself isn't the issue. They passed on the draft's best QB and best PLAYER. Sure, Mayfield is a good QB prospect, but Rosen is hands down so much better and Saquon is gonna be the runaway rookie of the year. Fucking Browns gonna brown.

I have no issue with the browns first round - there’s 3 qbs I think you could justify taking at the first pick and they took one of them - the 4th pick should probably have been Chubb but I won’t kill them for taking ward there

Where I do have an issue is the rest of their draft - they reached hard multiple times when they likely could have traded back and then in the 4th they take callaway and put him on the same roster as josh Gordon

Their first round was fine but they wasted so much of their great capital after that

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have no issue with the browns first round - there’s 3 qbs I think you could justify taking at the first pick and they took one of them - the 4th pick should probably have been Chubb but I won’t kill them for taking ward there

Where I do have an issue is the rest of their draft - they reached hard multiple times when they likely could have traded back and then in the 4th they take callaway and put him on the same roster as josh Gordon

Their first round was fine but they wasted so much of their great capital after that
Maybe it'll be a good thing for Callaway; if Gordon has his act together maybe it'll be a good influence on him.

And if it does work out.. Their receiving core will be absolutely stacked.