• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 13 Discussion (Tuesday Night Football Edition)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
One more quarter to go for the Giants-Seahawks game. Giants lead 14-5 and it seems Russell Wilson's MVP run may just come to an end.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Leonard Williams with a huge sack to put away the game and the Giants get a major upset over the Seahawks as Wilson's Hail Mary fails. Giants win 4 in a row and move to 5-7.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The G-Men with the upset! With the Jags almost beating the other purple team, I'm really questioning if we can win out.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The G-Men with the upset! With the Jags almost beating the other purple team, I'm really questioning if we can win out.

Of course the Giants get momentum for a run just before we play them. Of course the Jags start playing tough just before we play them. Mind you, the Seahawks lost to the Giants who did not have Daniel Jones and started Colt McCoy. We likely will have to play Daniel Jones.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Patriots just embarrassing the Chargers. They take Cam out of the game and put in Stidham, Stidham throws a TD to make it 45-0.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

JO_75

Hall of Famer
LOL, NBC & Direct TV are still in dispute so NBC has yet to come back on air so the only way to watch Broncos-Chiefs is the Spanish NBC channel. Seeing even former players bring this up as they can't watch the game tonight. NFL has to be pissed at Direct TV/NBC for this as this hurts their ratings. Ravens-Steelers drew 11.4 Million viewers for a 3:40 start time on a Wednesday, imagine how many more viewers they would have had if people could watch NBC. Apparently FOX and DISH are going through the same situation and nobody can watch FOX on DISH. I can be ok with NBC but I can't imagine losing FOX in the middle of a football season knowing how much FOX broadcasts games.

Anyway.... so I see another team playing the Chiefs close.

Of course the Giants get momentum for a run just before we play them. Of course the Jags start playing tough just before we play them. Mind you, the Seahawks lost to the Giants who did not have Daniel Jones and started Colt McCoy. We likely will have to play Daniel Jones.

As I am a Giants fan as well as a Ravens fan maybe I can add a bit of commentary here as someone who has watched most of their games and follows the Giants very closely:

With a young team, entirely new coaching staff with no preseason, losing Saquon for the year, and O-Line issues... I had zero expectations for the Giants this year. To my surprise (and delight) they've managed to fight and be in every game except one this season (49ers) while continuously getting better as a whole, even though they started 1-7. The defense has continuously improved and is now a top 10 unit, and the offense with DJ had been improving (when he wasn't a TO machine) prior to his injury, buoyed by the O-Line finally starting to play well since Judge stepped in. Keeping Wilson and co. in check and winning without DJ is potentially a statement win. As I've mentioned to @RavensMania in conversations we have had, the Giants are actually a pretty decent team now. I will not call them good, since IMO you really cannot call a 5-7 team good. They are really just 2 plays away from being a 7-5 "good" team though to put it in perspective.

Joe Judge has done a phenomenal job with the Giants. Anyone who thinks the Giants are a bad team hasn't been watching them very closely.

It should be a close game when the Giants and Ravens faceoff.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As I am a Giants fan as well as a Ravens fan maybe I can add a bit of commentary here as someone who has watched most of their games and follows the Giants very closely:

With a young team, entirely new coaching staff with no preseason, losing Saquon for the year, and O-Line issues... I had zero expectations for the Giants this year. To my surprise (and delight) they've managed to fight and be in every game except one this season (49ers) while continuously getting better as a whole, even though they started 1-7. The defense has continuously improved and is now a top 10 unit, and the offense with DJ had been improving (when he wasn't a TO machine) prior to his injury, buoyed by the O-Line finally starting to play well since Judge stepped in. Keeping Wilson and co. in check and winning without DJ is potentially a statement win. As I've mentioned to @RavensMania in conversations we have had, the Giants are actually a pretty decent team now. I will not call them good, since IMO you really cannot call a 5-7 team good. They are really just 2 plays away from being a 7-5 "good" team though to put it in perspective.

Joe Judge has done a phenomenal job with the Giants. Anyone who thinks the Giants are a bad team hasn't been watching them very closely.

It should be a close game when the Giants and Ravens faceoff.
So, while I will say that yesterday's win was pretty impressive (though I think people have realized for several weeks now that Seattle feels like a fraud in the NFC), keep in mind that the Giants schedule has been quite favorable.

3 of their 5 wins have come inside the division, including 2 close wins over WSH and one over Philly, of which one of those WSH games was basically done by a gamble by "riverboat Ron" that backfired.

So like yeah, they've got some tight losses that a play or here or there could have resulted in wins, but the same is true with some of the games they've won. If WSH kicks a PAT instead of going for two, who knows what happens in OT.

They're the best team in a bad division that has a favorable schedule. I still think they'll finish the season 6-10 and likely fall a game behind a 7-9 WSH team, who I think will take the division.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Speaking of NFC East teams, is Wentz done (in Philly)?
What happened to him? I don't follow the eagles much, he was in the MVP race 3 years ago. Have injuries derailed his career? But injuries don't really impact going through your reads and decision making.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
What happened to him? I don't follow the eagles much, he was in the MVP race 3 years ago. Have injuries derailed his career? But injuries don't really impact going through your reads and decision making.
It seems like it's a combination of injuries, personnel, and coaching. He was THE man in 2017, but their o-line was one of the best that season. Nowhere near the case this season. I heard Eagles fans mention the loss of Frank Reich hurting their offense. There have been a number of injuries to skill position players, but I dunno man. It's really weird to see such a decline. I really hope that this isn't the case for Lamar but I have confidence in the FO to right the ship next season.

Reactions: cdp
So, while I will say that yesterday's win was pretty impressive (though I think people have realized for several weeks now that Seattle feels like a fraud in the NFC), keep in mind that the Giants schedule has been quite favorable.

3 of their 5 wins have come inside the division, including 2 close wins over WSH and one over Philly, of which one of those WSH games was basically done by a gamble by "riverboat Ron" that backfired.

So like yeah, they've got some tight losses that a play or here or there could have resulted in wins, but the same is true with some of the games they've won. If WSH kicks a PAT instead of going for two, who knows what happens in OT.

They're the best team in a bad division that has a favorable schedule. I still think they'll finish the season 6-10 and likely fall a game behind a 7-9 WSH team, who I think will take the division.

I'm a bit confused by the "favorable schedule" comment since their schedule outside of the division is one of the toughest in football with facing the NFC West and AFC North, which are likely the 2 best divisions in football. The only reason their schedule is rated middle of the pack right now is because of the division games, which they will likely finish a respectable 4-2 in.

Seattle's D has played better recently and they have a top-5 Offense, so I'm not sure how many would agree with that either. They also play in possibly the best division in football and are 8-4. The are one of the best teams in football, even if Pete Carroll tries very hard sometimes to make them otherwise with his clutch bad decisions.

It's not tight losses here and there for the Giants, it's all but one of them. When 11 of 12 Giants' games are close and one is not that means they are in almost every game. While a loss is a loss, not quitting and being competitive is very often the difference between a good team and a bad one. They are growing as a young team and learning how to win under a rookie head coach. Definitely in a bad division regardless, but they have no control of that. Still not calling them a good team yet, like I said in my previous post they are decent and rapidly improving. We will see what happens over the last 4 games. If they win the division with a 7-9 or 8-8 record after starting 1-7 that's a sign of a much improving and dangerous playoff team.

Ron Rivera is a terrible HC and I was ecstatic when WFT hired him. His 80-70-1 record doesn't seem as impressive when one takes into consideration that he only has 3 winning seasons in 9 (most of which when Carolina was a very talented team). No way that WTF will win the division unless they win tonight over the Steelers. Assuming that loss WFT would be 1 game back and losing the tiebreaker, so they are essentially 2 games back with 4 to play. They would then need to go 3-1 to get to 7-9, and hope the Giants go 1-3 for 6-10. I sincerely doubt that for either team at this point. The Giants face AZ, CLE, BAL, and DAL. DAL is a wreck, and they should win at least 1 of the others. I do think the Ravens will beat the Giants, but it should be a good, physical, and low-scoring game.

WFT has a strong front 7, but their secondary is bad. Alex Smith is playing well behind a terrible O-Line, and they have a couple of nice weapons in Gibson and McLaurin. They're a mostly terrible team with a terrible HC and a terrible owner. My opinion of course. They're not going 7-9.

Speaking of NFC East teams, is Wentz done (in Philly)?

It seems like it's a combination of injuries, personnel, and coaching. He was THE man in 2017, but their o-line was one of the best that season. Nowhere near the case this season. I heard Eagles fans mention the loss of Frank Reich hurting their offense. There have been a number of injuries to skill position players, but I dunno man. It's really weird to see such a decline. I really hope that this isn't the case for Lamar but I have confidence in the FO to right the ship next season.

Wentz' injuries were really bad. He will never be the same as he was prior to them. I think that's a large part of it, and Reich leaving for Indy didn't help either. I think Reich had more to do with Wentz/Philly's success than Pederson. It's baffling though since Wentz will still go through small stretches of looking absolutely incredible, and then follow it up looking like a complete dumpster fire.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm a bit confused by the "favorable schedule" comment since their schedule outside of the division is one of the toughest in football with facing the NFC West and AFC North, which are likely the 2 best divisions in football. The only reason their schedule is rated middle of the pack right now is because of the division games, which they will likely finish a respectable 4-2 in.

Seattle's D has played better recently and they have a top-5 Offense, so I'm not sure how many would agree with that either. They also play in possibly the best division in football and are 8-4. The are one of the best teams in football, even if Pete Carroll tries very hard sometimes to make them otherwise with his clutch bad decisions.

It's not tight losses here and there for the Giants, it's all but one of them. When 11 of 12 Giants' games are close and one is not that means they are in almost every game. While a loss is a loss, not quitting and being competitive is very often the difference between a good team and a bad one. They are growing as a young team and learning how to win under a rookie head coach. Definitely in a bad division regardless, but they have no control of that. Still not calling them a good team yet, like I said in my previous post they are decent and rapidly improving. We will see what happens over the last 4 games. If they win the division with a 7-9 or 8-8 record after starting 1-7 that's a sign of a much improving and dangerous playoff team.

Ron Rivera is a terrible HC and I was ecstatic when WFT hired him. His 80-70-1 record doesn't seem as impressive when one takes into consideration that he only has 3 winning seasons in 9 (most of which when Carolina was a very talented team). No way that WTF will win the division unless they win tonight over the Steelers. Assuming that loss WFT would be 1 game back and losing the tiebreaker, so they are essentially 2 games back with 4 to play. They would then need to go 3-1 to get to 7-9, and hope the Giants go 1-3 for 6-10. I sincerely doubt that for either team at this point. The Giants face AZ, CLE, BAL, and DAL. DAL is a wreck, and they should win at least 1 of the others. I do think the Ravens will beat the Giants, but it should be a good, physical, and low-scoring game.

WFT has a strong front 7, but their secondary is bad. Alex Smith is playing well behind a terrible O-Line, and they have a couple of nice weapons in Gibson and McLaurin. They're a mostly terrible team with a terrible HC and a terrible owner. My opinion of course. They're not going 7-9.
1. The favorable schedule is a reflection of who they've current played, not who they will play.
They haven't played half of the AFC North (Ravens or Browns) and haven't played Arizona. 8 of their 12 games they've played so far are against teams with a losing record, and of the 4 games they played against winnings teams, they're 1-3, with their only win being yesterday.
Realistically, in a best case scenario, they'll have played 6-7 teams with a winning record by year-end. No terrible, but not a daunting schedule either.
2. I didn't really consider the Pittsburgh game that close. It was close in the first half, but Giants were down 16 with like 2-3 minutes left and got a garbage time score to make it closer. That's not really that close.
They also trailed by 17 at half and 14 at the end of the 3rd to the Bears
They've looked much better since the beginning of the year, but I'm also not impressed by any performance outside of Seattle to this point. Even the Tampa game doesn't look all that impressive to this point, given that Tampa looks like a very average team that also only has one quality win on its schedule, which was Green Bay.
3. I took WFT to win the division because I think they'll beat Carolina and Philly, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they beat SF or even Seattle, especially the way Seattle has played of late. Seattle is 2-3 in their last five games, and have looked thoroughly unimpressive, especially on offense, in just about all of them.
And I think its likely the Giants lose all of their next 3 games, and finish at 6-10.

1. The favorable schedule is a reflection of who they've current played, not who they will play.
They haven't played half of the AFC North (Ravens or Browns) and haven't played Arizona. 8 of their 12 games they've played so far are against teams with a losing record, and of the 4 games they played against winnings teams, they're 1-3, with their only win being yesterday.
Realistically, in a best case scenario, they'll have played 6-7 teams with a winning record by year-end. No terrible, but not a daunting schedule either.
2. I didn't really consider the Pittsburgh game that close. It was close in the first half, but Giants were down 16 with like 2-3 minutes left and got a garbage time score to make it closer. That's not really that close.
They also trailed by 17 at half and 14 at the end of the 3rd to the Bears
They've looked much better since the beginning of the year, but I'm also not impressed by any performance outside of Seattle to this point. Even the Tampa game doesn't look all that impressive to this point, given that Tampa looks like a very average team that also only has one quality win on its schedule, which was Green Bay.
3. I took WFT to win the division because I think they'll beat Carolina and Philly, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they beat SF or even Seattle, especially the way Seattle has played of late. Seattle is 2-3 in their last five games, and have looked thoroughly unimpressive, especially on offense, in just about all of them.
And I think its likely the Giants lose all of their next 3 games, and finish at 6-10.

The Giants SOS of opponents faced so far is 25 of 32. Washington's SOS is 32nd. With remaining schedule, as of now the Giants are 17th, and Washington still 32nd. Washington has the easiest schedule in the league and are about to be 4-8. I'm not sure why you believe Washington would go 3-1 in the remaining 4 when they are likely the underdog in all but the Philly game. The haven't beaten anybody decent either. The 49ers are getting healthier and are a good team. Carolina will have McCaffrey back. I only see the Eagles game as a W for them, but that's a division game and last game of the year so you never know.

As for the Giants remaining sched, AZ isn't that good and doesn't scare me at all since our D matches up perfectly for their strengths as long as Blake isn't missing the game due to his injury. CLE and BAL will be tough. DAL is terrible. I see beating AZ at home, splitting or losing both of CLE and BAL, beating DAL for 2-2 or 3-1.

Regardless, it is very difficult and rare for a team to makeup a 2 game deficit with 4 games to go. Especially when that team is a very bad football team with a 4-8 record even though they the easiest schedule in the league.

Will have to agree to disagree with Seattle. Part of their recent offensive struggles was missing Carson too.

I'm not saying the Giants are even a good team as of now. They're a now decent team that is improving in a terrible division, that has had a relatively difficult non-divisional schedule due to facing the NFC West and AFC North. They wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs if not for that crap division. Either way we will see what happens these last few weeks. It's been fun to see a 4 game winning streak out of the Giants side of my fandom for a change.

Best of luck to both the Giants and Ravens down the stretch. Hopefully we can play each other 2x this season, lol.