• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 OL Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Figured with all of this Wyatt Davis talk by @JoeyFlex5 that it's probably time to start up this thread here especially given the fact that on most people's boards right now it's the biggest need (or at the very least top 2 need) on this team.

It looks generally like a really interesting OL class. Not sure it's going to be near to the level of depth that was in the 2020 OT class.

But the interior depth looks a lot better at first glance in the 2021 class than it did in the 2020 class (which was pretty dire tbh)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Wyatt Davis, Josh Myers, Jackson carman, trey hill, these are my guys so far. I need to check out rashawn slater, also Ben Cleveland is a guy who is somewhat intriguing

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Draft Wyatt Davis. Slide Bozeman to center.

Stanley-Wyatt-Boze-Powers-OBJ

call it a day.

CE0EC29F-E81C-4EB7-A8F5-AA663BFDD9F0.jpeg

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
Agree with Davesta, I like sliding Bozeman into centre (Rimington trophy finalist 2017!). I swear the only reason we have him at left guard is through lack of options there.

Not sure I'd put Wyatt on the left, if I recall he has more experience on the right and swapping him is a gamble. Maybe a Trey Smith (low floor pass blocking, but a run blocking mulcher) or Alijah Vera Tucker (consistent all rounder) over there instead?

For me IOL is our most important hole and I'd be happy if we spent both picks on it. Ideally grab Wyatt in the 1st round and either Alijah, Trey or a top tier center in the 2nd round.

On centers, I haven't yet got a good feel for them, what are people's thoughts? Creed Humphrey vs Tyler Linderbaum, worth a look?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agree with Davesta, I like sliding Bozeman into centre (Rimington trophy finalist 2017!). I swear the only reason we have him at left guard is through lack of options there.

Not sure I'd put Wyatt on the left, if I recall he has more experience on the right and swapping him is a gamble. Maybe a Trey Smith (low floor pass blocking, but a run blocking mulcher) or Alijah Vera Tucker (consistent all rounder) over there instead?

For me IOL is our most important hole and I'd be happy if we spent both picks on it. Ideally grab Wyatt in the 1st round and either Alijah, Trey or a top tier center in the 2nd round.

On centers, I haven't yet got a good feel for them, what are people's thoughts? Creed Humphrey vs Tyler Linderbaum, worth a look?

Bozeman's been good at LG - part of my hesitation about him at C is because of how good he's been pulling and you potentially lose that (not entirely but somewhat) by shifting him inside to C

that being said if it allows us to get another talented guard into the lineup then im all for upgrading the talent in that unit

Teller has mostly played RG but I'm not sure he's necessarily not flexible enough to play both guard spots

in terms of IOL prospects I'm not particularly worried about which IOL spot they play, just whether they're a fit for us somewhere - the OL chemistry and makeup will solve itself if we put good players in there

and let's not forget Patrick Mekari went from tackle to Center in his rookie offseason which is a much bigger transition than any other OL transition you could ask someone to do

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Welcome to purpleflock!

As of today we don't have as much draft capital as we used to have in the past. So, imho I'd rather not spend our 1st & 2nd for 2 iOl. 1 iOL and 1 OT makes more sense valuewise. But still I prefer to use either pick for a WR/Edge/OL combination. Wyatt would be an amazing pick though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Josh Myers putting on a clinic today - and getting to level 2 and making his blocks when he gets there
cant wait for the film, i have no way of watching that i can find, ive been high on myers and davis for a while. if we managed to land those guys in rounds 1/2 well then ben powers youve been great but fuck off we have a new C/RG in town

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
cant wait for the film, i have no way of watching that i can find, ive been high on myers and davis for a while. if we managed to land those guys in rounds 1/2 well then ben powers youve been great but fuck off we have a new C/RG in town
? He's been out best iOL of the season and you'd want to put him out?

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Move Bozeman to C and bybye skura.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
? He's been out best iOL of the season and you'd want to put him out?
Idk that he’s been better than Bozeman, it’s also easy to be better in a small sample size.

just because someone steps in and plays well for a month or so doesn’t mean you pass on the first truly elite G prospect since Q Nelson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ok, but still draft Myers -> Bozeman @ LG ->bye-bye Skura or
draft Davis -> Bozeman @ C -> bye-bye Skura
yes agreed there lol.

mekari has done an awesome job and im looking forward to having him as a depth piece for a few years, he is gonna prove to be huge one day as he fills in for crucial starters when needed, but i would absolutely take an upgrade to start at C. and powers looks like a starter, but theres a reason he only stepped in due to injury when we were struggling massively all year at his position. for now im gonna tread lightly with him lol, it took me nearly an entire season to jump on the skura train in 2019, and i didnt jump on the bozeman train til like midseason this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yes agreed there lol.

mekari has done an awesome job and im looking forward to having him as a depth piece for a few years, he is gonna prove to be huge one day as he fills in for crucial starters when needed, but i would absolutely take an upgrade to start at C. and powers looks like a starter, but theres a reason he only stepped in due to injury when we were struggling massively all year at his position. for now im gonna tread lightly with him lol, it took me nearly an entire season to jump on the skura train in 2019, and i didnt jump on the bozeman train til like midseason this year

i will say this of mekari - I’ve been critical of him since he stepped in for Skura as being the weakest of the 3 current IOL but it was evident how well he’s played (especially in the running game) when he went out and Skura came back in - the difference really was palpable

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

haha
Worth monitoring is that Wyatt Davis went down with an injury of some sort - no idea how serious it is but he didn’t play another snap afterwards

myers was pretty great last night though

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
he and Bozeman have both been pretty great since he came in but while powers has played well there’s no reason not to add a quality piece to the competition
I'm all for adding talent and stability on the OL but Powers is here to stay. He's been nothing short of amazing. Bozeman has been up and down.