• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 OL Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Anybody can explain why Jackson Carman is being talked about by literally nobody? I just watched 2 games and he's easily above the likes of Leatherwood, Eichenberg or Cosmi so far.
I’ve been high on carman for a very long time, I can’t understand the lack of buzz.

that said I’m warming up on mayfield a lot, sky high potential, really gifted athlete, and I’ve liked his hand placement and timing that I’ve seen so far, and he’s very heads up in spotting and picking up surprise rushers later on in the play, would like to see him drop his hips lower and drive more on run blocks though.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I’ve been high on carman for a very long time, I can’t understand the lack of buzz.

that said I’m warming up on mayfield a lot, sky high potential, really gifted athlete, and I’ve liked his hand placement and timing that I’ve seen so far, and he’s very heads up in spotting and picking up surprise rushers later on in the play, would like to see him drop his hips lower and drive more on run blocks though.
Mayfield looks cool but he looks like a total mess technically. I'll have to go back to his tape anyway, he's still in that Carman range for me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i cant work out with mayfield (and obviously it would have a massive impact on his grade 1 way or the other) - is it purely a technical leverage issue or is there a lack of functional strength - because if it's the former then i can live with that in the 2nd round but if it's the latter im not sure i can touch him until the back end of day 2 at the earliest

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i cant work out with mayfield (and obviously it would have a massive impact on his grade 1 way or the other) - is it purely a technical leverage issue or is there a lack of functional strength - because if it's the former then i can live with that in the 2nd round but if it's the latter im not sure i can touch him until the back end of day 2 at the earliest
Idk man I see the same issues and it looks to me like he’s just not dropping the hips or bending the knees, it’s a worry, but he’s dramatically more athletic and mobile and has better pass sets and blocks better in the open field than eichenberg

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Mayfield looks cool but he looks like a total mess technically. I'll have to go back to his tape anyway, he's still in that Carman range for me.
I like his hands, feet, and mobility, I don’t like his flexibility and hip level. Idk what to think of him but I see a really high ceiling OT and idk maybe I got too much faith in our OL coaches

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that's the thing i was thinking about today too - should i be higher on guys with more technical issues but higher athletic ceilings because Joe D is so good?
I’ve been dead against that kind of thinking literally until this year lol. You rarely see OTs actually maximize athletic potential, because the way I see it, there’s only so much you can get out of an OLs athleticism, so no matter how freakish they may be, you should still put their actual performance and understanding of the game, first.

but yeah joe D is fucking my head up lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve been dead against that kind of thinking literally until this year lol. You rarely see OTs actually maximize athletic potential, because the way I see it, there’s only so much you can get out of an OLs athleticism, so no matter how freakish they may be, you should still put their actual performance and understanding of the game, first.

but yeah joe D is fucking my head up lol

also seeing Tristan Wirfs and Mekhi Becton have the 2 best seasons out of the top 6 OTs making me have a bit of a rethink - the 2 freak athletes who needed refinement had the best seasons by far of any of the other guys

but I have Teven Jenkins rated super high vs where I might have had him a couple of year ago - i haven't really seen him put a vertical set where he gets a ton of depth on tape yet - but hardly saw that from Wirfs last year either and he had absolutely no trouble at all this year developing that aspect of his game - now Jenkins isn't the athletic freak that Wirfs was but I think he might be more powerful and more aggressive

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
also seeing Tristan Wirfs and Mekhi Becton have the 2 best seasons out of the top 6 OTs making me have a bit of a rethink - the 2 freak athletes who needed refinement had the best seasons by far of any of the other guys

but I have Teven Jenkins rated super high vs where I might have had him a couple of year ago - i haven't really seen him put a vertical set where he gets a ton of depth on tape yet - but hardly saw that from Wirfs last year either and he had absolutely no trouble at all this year developing that aspect of his game - now Jenkins isn't the athletic freak that Wirfs was but I think he might be more powerful and more aggressive
Lololol yeah becton was probably the worst evaluation of my life, I saw a straight up bust or an oversized guard who may or may not be useless. I had zero faith in his pass pro

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lololol yeah becton was probably the worst evaluation of my life, I saw a straight up bust or an oversized guard who may or may not be useless. I had zero faith in his pass pro

he was always going to be at least adequate because he was so massive and long and athletic that even if he screwed up he was going to get some part of his body in the way - and rushers on the outside arc legit had to orbit him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok he'll have to work on that punch timing.

tbf i think it improved my opinion of Roche more than it tanked my thinking about Carman...

but I think Roche also exposed some pad-level issues as well as the punch timing that you mention - but also I think he revealed a bit of a footwork issue that manifests on his deeper pass-sets where he seems to do well mirroring at the start of his pass-set but lose ground at the top of the rush (think it's a short step/awkward step later in his sets)

Roche showed that Carman's often a bit too content to "catch" pass rushers and let them into him - he's so strong and big that he can normally swallow it up but Roche used a long-arm that got into him and pushed him back

doesn't make me think none of this is fixable but it just showed some of the technical flaws in his game that prevented me from thinking about him as a day 1 type prospect

he's got lots of tools just needs some technical development

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Teven Jenkins' punch is so gorgeous

he absolutely beats up on Joseph ossai in the Texas game - ossai gets the final game-winning play sure but Jenkins spent basically every other snap dominating him all-game - it happens every year that I’ll be studying a highly-regarded tackle or an edge and the guy they’re playing against just dominates them and they skyrocket up my list

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
he absolutely beats up on Joseph ossai in the Texas game - ossai gets the final game-winning play sure but Jenkins spent basically every other snap dominating him all-game - it happens every year that I’ll be studying a highly-regarded tackle or an edge and the guy they’re playing against just dominates them and they skyrocket up my list
Yeah he 100% took him to kindergarten

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
You think somehow someway Yanda can get involved and get into Browns head.

Yanda >

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've changed my mind on Sewell vs Slater after finding some more tape

seen Slater lose a few too many times to bulls and counters and seen more examples of Sewell's good hand usage - i have a feeling i might have been too ready to nitpick sewell at the beginning of the process because the more i watch the more clearly i come down on sewell over slater (not to say slater's in anyway a bad prospect just that Sewell is awesome)

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was watching some more Alijah Vera-Tucker who's awesome btw

but it was my first exposure to Kayvon Thibodeaux who looks like an absolute freak of nature on the edge - gonna be the first non-qb taken in 2022 - looks like you can basically take that to the bank right now
Thibodeaux has been a freak since day 1 his freshman year.
Btt: I've watched a couple of cut ups and omg Vera-Tucker is exactly what we need. 2nd level combos and his quickness are a perfect match for what we run on offense.