• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Legit rant draft

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im gonna predict us in the top 10. If we don't suffer a single injury we'd be lucky to reach .500 but I'm predicting another major season ender or 2 to spiral us into the cellar.

First round, 8th overall: Quenton Nelson, G, ND. He's that good of a guard and Ozzie sees what happens when yanda goes down. We need a future and present starter, and a blue chip dominant fucker regardless. Quenton Nelson is absolutely the safest most sure pick in this draft. Calvin Ridley is a guy who will likely get a lot of consideration here, but I don't love that idea, his game has been very manufactured and force fed and he's not the talent that Julio or Cooper was.

Second round 40th overall: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis. My top wr in this class, small school and his size hurt his stock, but he isn't too small to play and he isn't too small for any moment either. Neither size nor past competition will hurt him on the field, dude plays like he lives on the hot seat, there isn't a weakness to his game, his hype train will inevitably put him in the first I think but while he is lacking hype I'll take him here.

Third round: Royce freeman, RB Oregon. This is my faller candidate. I like his game but other guys are rising fast like Chubb and love, freeman could very well see himself on the outside looking in when the second round ends, nothing separates his game from those other 2nd round guys, just a quality downhill power runner with breakaway speed and surprising agility/lateral quickness, and appearing to have the prerequisite vision and awareness and general understanding of following blocks. Sort of reminds me of a stronger Arian foster the way he can plant that foot and get downhill to eat up yardage and then subtle cuts help him to drag guys past the markers when needed

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Pretty solid, of course you had to put Miller lol. Nelson is the obvious choice if he's available, nothing to discuss here. Freeman is a guy I like as a player, my only worry with him is that he runs in a ZBS and I don't know about the fit here.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I cant stand Royce Freeman.....i wouldnt even consider him till the 4th round. I just dont see it with him.

1st 2 rounds are great A+ draft. I just really hope we dont draft Freeman

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Your description of Freeman sounds just like Alex Collins. Ironically thats who he compares most to on film. We do not need another Alex Collins

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nope. Nope nope nope.

Freeman has way better pass pro and pass catching ability than Collins. He's also more patient.
Still...similar in running style. He doesnt break many tackles and i seriously question his breakaway speed. A lot of his yards are scheme based and hes often running free in large spaces. Oregon always spreads it out too much. I dont trust the player or the system. At least georgia and stanford run a more power scheme tradition i feel like the crossover would be easier for chubb and Love, same goes for Kelly, Penny, and Wadley. Id take all those guys over Freeman

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Still...similar in running style. He doesnt break many tackles and i seriously question his breakaway speed. A lot of his yards are scheme based and hes often running free in large spaces. Oregon always spreads it out too much. I dont trust the player or the system. At least georgia and stanford run a more power scheme tradition i feel like the crossover would be easier for chubb and Love, same goes for Kelly, Penny, and Wadley. Id take all those guys over Freeman
Yes I prefer all those guys and yes the scheme concerns me, but Freeman is just 0% Collins. It's not a criticism to any, just don't see anything close when watching them run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

that doesnt sound like collins at all...

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
that doesnt sound like collins at all...
I wasnt trying to descride their running styles there. I was talking about oregons scheme.

The similarities i see between Collims and Freeman are their body types and running style. They both are patient at the line and are one cut runners. They both look for cut back lanes and take short choppy steps which gives them the ability to make decisive cuts. Neither of them break many tackles and they both have the same top speed. Freeman is probably more well rounded than Collins in terms of recieveing ability and pass blocking.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wasnt trying to descride their running styles there. I was talking about oregons scheme.

The similarities i see between Collims and Freeman are their body types and running style. They both are patient at the line and are one cut runners. They both look for cut back lanes and take short choppy steps which gives them the ability to make decisive cuts. Neither of them break many tackles and they both have the same top speed. Freeman is probably more well rounded than Collins in terms of recieveing ability and pass blocking.

collins is patient to an extent but i see him as more of a 1 cut runner like you say - but without patience - he is kind of just shot out of a cannon and goes right by linebackers without them getting a chance to tackle him - ive not seen collins break tackles mostly because the defenders whos tackles wed be hoping for him to break or often clutching at thin air... he legitimately looks great running between the tackles - its a good question to ask if his production is sustainable but he is running in a way that suggests hes a good back now and a brilliant change of pace guy down the line if he can hold onto the football

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
collins is patient to an extent but i see him as more of a 1 cut runner like you say - but without patience - he is kind of just shot out of a cannon and goes right by linebackers without them getting a chance to tackle him - ive not seen collins break tackles mostly because the defenders whos tackles wed be hoping for him to break or often clutching at thin air... he legitimately looks great running between the tackles - its a good question to ask if his production is sustainable but he is running in a way that suggests hes a good back now and a brilliant change of pace guy down the line if he can hold onto the football
To me Collins is a solid #2 back. Buck and west havent proved anything. All i kniw is we need a true #1 back. Or at least someone who can develop into one like Rice did. Early in his career Rice was a spark plug for our offense until he took the lead role. There are guys in this draft who i think can have that impact on our team. To me, Freeman is not that guy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Collins is not a one cut runner, he's a slasher through and through, he breaks solo tackles and runs exaggerated as hell and makes multiple cuts. I see freeman as far more patient and fluid, he finds the crease and creates positive yardage by getting downhill fast and decisive and when given the opportunity he does break tackles, he's got plenty of red zone film where he is slashing left and right and barreling in for the TD. He makes a lot of stuff happen in those tight spaces though we have a limited look at that due to the system, but limited looks =\= limited ability.

And all the guys you named in an earlier post will he gone by the third. If you say Royce freeman doesn't deserve a 3rd round grade that's a bit stilly lol

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
im gonna predict us in the top 10. If we don't suffer a single injury we'd be lucky to reach .500 but I'm predicting another major season ender or 2 to spiral us into the cellar.

First round, 8th overall: Quenton Nelson, G, ND. He's that good of a guard and Ozzie sees what happens when yanda goes down. We need a future and present starter, and a blue chip dominant fucker regardless. Quenton Nelson is absolutely the safest most sure pick in this draft. Calvin Ridley is a guy who will likely get a lot of consideration here, but I don't love that idea, his game has been very manufactured and force fed and he's not the talent that Julio or Cooper was.

Second round 40th overall: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis. My top wr in this class, small school and his size hurt his stock, but he isn't too small to play and he isn't too small for any moment either. Neither size nor past competition will hurt him on the field, dude plays like he lives on the hot seat, there isn't a weakness to his game, his hype train will inevitably put him in the first I think but while he is lacking hype I'll take him here.

Third round: Royce freeman, RB Oregon. This is my faller candidate. I like his game but other guys are rising fast like Chubb and love, freeman could very well see himself on the outside looking in when the second round ends, nothing separates his game from those other 2nd round guys, just a quality downhill power runner with breakaway speed and surprising agility/lateral quickness, and appearing to have the prerequisite vision and awareness and general understanding of following blocks. Sort of reminds me of a stronger Arian foster the way he can plant that foot and get downhill to eat up yardage and then subtle cuts help him to drag guys past the markers when needed

I am not a big fan of taking a guard that high. I think he will be a great guard in the NFL but to select him at number 8 you must have tremendous faith in him. Do you feel Nelson's play is to the level of Hog Hannah?

I was not familiar with Miller so I watched some game tape of him against UCLA. He has good hands and seemed to run routes well. He didn't seem to be overly fast but he is wicked quick. I would like to see him up against a better defense. Does Miller return kicks?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I am not a big fan of taking a guard that high. I think he will be a great guard in the NFL but to select him at number 8 you must have tremendous faith in him. Do you feel Nelson's play is to the level of Hog Hannah?

I was not familiar with Miller so I watched some game tape of him against UCLA. He has good hands and seemed to run routes well. He didn't seem to be overly fast but he is wicked quick. I would like to see him up against a better defense. Does Miller return kicks?

why wouldnt you take a guard there if he's the best player available - its no different to taking a right tackle in terms of value really tbh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

i have that much faith in nelson. i think he is the safest bet in this class, probably the safest bet to get a surefire quality starter since joey bosa.

guard is the weakest position on the team when we dont have yanda. we currently have james hurst, and jermaine eluemenor, with no notable backups if one o them go down, our starter is alex lewis who did absolutely nothing for run blocking, before jermaine eluemenor our starter in pplace of yanda was matt skura. for 2018 we have 2 quality starting tackles, guys who are rating very well this year, and if alex lewis can play the swing role to fill in at RT then we have 3 quality tackles, we have yanda and no other quality starting guards, and we have a very good center. adding nelson not only gives us a likely perennial pro bowler to give us a formidable interior trio(seriously, nelson, jensen, and yanda has got to be the most piss-pants inducing thing ive ever heard) but it takes guys who are currently performing at an average level a chance to sit back as depth, and with stanley and howard outside, that gives us an elite OL with depth, with hurst and lewis as depth at both G and T, and guys like skura, nico, and eluemenor as depth at G, we suddenly make a massive leap on our front, elite starting, quality depth, on the most important position group in football. no other player gives us as much of a swing from bad to good, and no player who will be available is as guaranteed to be a excellent starter than nelson

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
i have that much faith in nelson. i think he is the safest bet in this class, probably the safest bet to get a surefire quality starter since joey bosa.

guard is the weakest position on the team when we dont have yanda. we currently have james hurst, and jermaine eluemenor, with no notable backups if one o them go down, our starter is alex lewis who did absolutely nothing for run blocking, before jermaine eluemenor our starter in pplace of yanda was matt skura. for 2018 we have 2 quality starting tackles, guys who are rating very well this year, and if alex lewis can play the swing role to fill in at RT then we have 3 quality tackles, we have yanda and no other quality starting guards, and we have a very good center. adding nelson not only gives us a likely perennial pro bowler to give us a formidable interior trio(seriously, nelson, jensen, and yanda has got to be the most piss-pants inducing thing ive ever heard) but it takes guys who are currently performing at an average level a chance to sit back as depth, and with stanley and howard outside, that gives us an elite OL with depth, with hurst and lewis as depth at both G and T, and guys like skura, nico, and eluemenor as depth at G, we suddenly make a massive leap on our front, elite starting, quality depth, on the most important position group in football. no other player gives us as much of a swing from bad to good, and no player who will be available is as guaranteed to be a excellent starter than nelson

I certainly agree with you about how much we need him. The other thing that concerns me at guard is how much longer we will have Marshall Yanda, he is getting older and injuries could take their toll. Thanks for your insight.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
why wouldnt you take a guard there if he's the best player available - its no different to taking a right tackle in terms of value really tbh

I think that would be high for a right tackle too. I will concede that Nelson is exceptional which raises his value. I value other positions higher than guard, plus I would really like to draft a quarterback early.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think that would be high for a right tackle too. I will concede that Nelson is exceptional which raises his value. I value other positions higher than guard, plus I would really like to draft a quarterback early.

i think the paradigm has kind of shifted at this point since dallas showed the way by stocking up on top oline talent - the titans certainly wont be regretting taking jack conklin at 8 in 2016 at right tackle - he's been a brilliant investment for them

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
i think the paradigm has kind of shifted at this point since dallas showed the way by stocking up on top oline talent - the titans certainly wont be regretting taking jack conklin at 8 in 2016 at right tackle - he's been a brilliant investment for them
When you consider how poor some of the offensive line play has been in the NFL this season it is hard to argue against your point.