• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Legit rant draft

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i have that much faith in nelson. i think he is the safest bet in this class, probably the safest bet to get a surefire quality starter since joey bosa.

guard is the weakest position on the team when we dont have yanda. we currently have james hurst, and jermaine eluemenor, with no notable backups if one o them go down, our starter is alex lewis who did absolutely nothing for run blocking, before jermaine eluemenor our starter in pplace of yanda was matt skura. for 2018 we have 2 quality starting tackles, guys who are rating very well this year, and if alex lewis can play the swing role to fill in at RT then we have 3 quality tackles, we have yanda and no other quality starting guards, and we have a very good center. adding nelson not only gives us a likely perennial pro bowler to give us a formidable interior trio(seriously, nelson, jensen, and yanda has got to be the most piss-pants inducing thing ive ever heard) but it takes guys who are currently performing at an average level a chance to sit back as depth, and with stanley and howard outside, that gives us an elite OL with depth, with hurst and lewis as depth at both G and T, and guys like skura, nico, and eluemenor as depth at G, we suddenly make a massive leap on our front, elite starting, quality depth, on the most important position group in football. no other player gives us as much of a swing from bad to good, and no player who will be available is as guaranteed to be a excellent starter than nelson
And when Yanda retires, you have your replacement.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
If the Ravens take Nelson at 8 without trying to trade back, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

I'd have to imagine Minkah Fitzpatrick would be an extremely likely pick at 8.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If the Ravens take Nelson at 8 without trying to trade back, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

I'd have to imagine Minkah Fitzpatrick would be an extremely likely pick at 8.
Can't say I'd hate it but I'll take Nelson over him. I'd take Nelson over basically anyone who isn't Rosen or darnold or Barkley, that's how much I want a guard of his caliber in baltimore

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Can't say I'd hate it but I'll take Nelson over him. I'd take Nelson over basically anyone who isn't Rosen or darnold or Barkley, that's how much I want a guard of his caliber in baltimore

Come on now, you all know Ozzie has Calvin Ridley written on the draft card already. The WR from Alabama will save us from our WR woes!

Seriously though, Nelson is the one I want too. I know someone said take him after trading down, only problem is there is no guarantee he would be there depending on how the final draft order shakes up and sometimes you have to remember, quality over quantity. Nelson next to Stanley.... big holes and great protection.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I really don't dislike the idea of taking Nelson, and I even support it heavily, but when you look at the top of the draft, we'll probably have Allen, Rosen, Darnold, and Barkley going in the top 5. Probably have Landry, Key, Wilkins, Fitzpatrick, and the two FSU DB's up there.

It wasn't that I dislike the player; I just rather think that you could make a trade back into the teens and still nab Nelson because of the perceived value of a guard.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I really don't dislike the idea of taking Nelson, and I even support it heavily, but when you look at the top of the draft, we'll probably have Allen, Rosen, Darnold, and Barkley going in the top 5. Probably have Landry, Key, Wilkins, Fitzpatrick, and the two FSU DB's up there.

It wasn't that I dislike the player; I just rather think that you could make a trade back into the teens and still nab Nelson because of the perceived value of a guard.
Nelson's hype is monstruous for a guard though.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I don't doubt it is, but there's also a lot of OT's who are probably ranked within 5 to 10 picks and who goes first- a tackle or a guard?

I think Nelson is a first round lock; just not a top 10 pick.
Well, apart from McGlinchey and Williams (and I'm not super high on Williams and not everyone is on McGlinchey) there's no potential top10 OT, except one blows up the process (Okorafor maybe?). Top 10 OG do exist, and Nelson is probably the best prospect at the position in the last 5 years.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Well, apart from McGlinchey and Williams (and I'm not super high on Williams and not everyone is on McGlinchey) there's no potential top10 OT, except one blows up the process (Okorafor maybe?). Top 10 OG do exist, and Nelson is probably the best prospect at the position in the last 5 years.
In the past 10 years, we've had two guards go top 10 and it was Warmack and Cooper in one of the worst drafts in recent memory (I don't count Scherff who was drafted to play OT).

If I were to put the best guard prospect in the past 10 years up for debate, and that includes this year's class, too, it would be Zack Martin who many saw as a surefire top 10 pick. He fell all the way to 16 and there's potential he falls past the Ravens at 17 had the Cowboys not taken him.

Guards are going to get passed over for more valuable positions.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
In the past 10 years, we've had two guards go top 10 and it was Warmack and Cooper in one of the worst drafts in recent memory (I don't count Scherff who was drafted to play OT).

If I were to put the best guard prospect in the past 10 years up for debate, and that includes this year's class, too, it would be Zack Martin who many saw as a surefire top 10 pick. He fell all the way to 16 and there's potential he falls past the Ravens at 17 had the Cowboys not taken him.

Is it possible that teams could look at Martin and decide to take a guard earlier, if they feel he's a special talent?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Is it possible that teams could look at Martin and decide to take a guard earlier, if they feel he's a special talent?
I feel like with the recent success of Martins and Scherffs it has encouraged team to value the position like Gurley and Zeke have for RB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

you should count Scherff. The Skins wanted to try him at Tackle, but they are the only ones that did. I'd add Scherff into the mix because he still would have gone top 10 even if the skins didn't take him.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
you should count Scherff. The Skins wanted to try him at Tackle, but they are the only ones that did. I'd add Scherff into the mix because he still would have gone top 10 even if the skins didn't take him.
The only other team I could see taking him would be the Giants and he'd be an OT there, too.