• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mark Andrews or Orlando Brown, Jr.

Would you rather extend Mark Andrews or Orlando Brown, Jr.

• Mark Andrews

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Orlando Brown, Jr.

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

rossihunter2

Staff Member
its a massive stretch to assume any TE currently in college can live up to andrews. remember that these guys are only projections based on traits and even the most promising prospects bust at an alarming rate. there is nothing you can point to on film of either of those players that suggests they could have the same level of smarts and savvy at the pro level, nor is there anything to suggest they could develop the same connection with lamar that andrews has.

this kind of post is why i said the whole "the disrespect" thing earlier lol, a lot may be high respect for brown, but to say there are 2 college TEs right now that are as quality as andrews is literally just disrespect to andrews lol, this man has been dominant for 2 years in the nfl and has shown no signs of slowing down.

100% - id prefer to keep brown but we should know how difficult it is to find a TE - how long did it take us to find a reliable weapon after pitta had his hip injury?

basically half a decade despite taking multiple shots at the position including a fair few high picks

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
100% - id prefer to keep brown but we should know how difficult it is to find a TE - how long did it take us to find a reliable weapon after pitta had his hip injury?

basically half a decade despite taking multiple shots at the position including a fair few high picks
Exactly, brown is an excellent OT, andrews is a rare talent who just happens to be on some telekinetic shit with our qb. You can replace brown, you aren’t replacing andrews, only doing your best to minimize his absence

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yeah, to be honest, while I agree that Tackles coming out of college are difficult to find, I'm not sure that finding a competent RT really is. I'm not expecting the next guy we draft to be as good as Brown obviously, but we found a guy like Rick Wagner with a day 3 pick, and Brown with a day 2 pick. So I would expect to find a competent starter in day 2 or 3 to replace Brown when the time came.

Andrews is interesting. I think the shelf life on a guy like him isn't going to be long, i.e. I don't think he'll be producing at a high level like Kelce well into his 30s. He could be fading by the end back of his 2nd deal, assuming its your standard like 3-4 year extension.
And while the TE market price tags are rising, the price difference between Brown and Andrews is easily going to be at least $5M a year, and could be closer to $10M.

Given that, I would prioritize Andrews, though I suppose if the Ravens decided they're just going to continue to go "cheap" on the interior of the Oline for the foreseeable future, they could potentially prioritize Brown.

Candidly, I get the sense Brown somewhat prefers to play the left side in actuality, meaning he may actually have that desire to leave and get that opportunity elsewhere. As I said already, he'd likely be the most coveted FA tackle to hit the market in quite some time in my eyes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Now taking into account the salary cap, I believe 2/3rds of Orlando Brown, Bradley Bozeman and Mark Andrews will return. I believe those players will be Bozeman and Andrews.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now taking into account the salary cap, I believe 2/3rds of Orlando Brown, Bradley Bozeman and Mark Andrews will return. I believe those players will be Bozeman and Andrews.
I’d agree with this. I think Andrews stays and Brown is likely gone. I would just prefer to keep Brown over Andrews but it won’t come down to that type of binary operation. It will be Brown or (Andrews + other guy like Bozeman)

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

I just read the first page and was surprised no one mentioned that until I read this.
crocket Gilmore Ed Dickson Ben Watson Maxx Williams Hayden hurst anyone!?

we are terrible at drafting tight ends and they very rarely actually pan out. Yea we get some studs now and then but the rest suck. In that group is a first rounder a second rounder 2 thirds who all did nothing with Hayden being decent in a te heavy offense.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
If I’m gm, I take Andrews and Bradley Bozeman. It’s realistic as many will throw 20 mil at obj after this year.
If we could franchise and trade I’d do it. We could easily get a first for him. I’m confident in our ability to scout tackles and not tight ends. Also Boyle is basically a 6th tackle anyway. I understand the value of obj but I totally disagree it’s worth 20mil and losing an elite player

Andrews is a playmaker who’s talent keeps going up. He’s lamars Best red zone target. Guy has an instinct to score tds and that’s not a common thing at this level. He’s also improved as a blocker.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Obviously super hypothetically and not realistic but would you trade obj for a first round pick in March of this year? It could give us flexibility to grab a good guard pass rusher and wr with picks 1 1 & 2

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Obviously super hypothetically and not realistic but would you trade obj for a first round pick in March of this year? It could give us flexibility to grab a good guard pass rusher and wr with picks 1 1 & 2
no, not with our window closing with an inexpensive roster and before we extend Lamar. We need to keep Brown, but yes we would get more for him if we traded him this offseason. Still would rather keep him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

absolutely no way - if we view ourselves as contenders then why would we give up a pro bowl tackle who’s still on his rookie deal?

no chance in hell we do that

And even if we don’t sign brown long-term I would be surprised if we don’t franchise tag him for 2022

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
absolutely no way - if we view ourselves as contenders then why would we give up a pro bowl tackle who’s still on his rookie deal?

no chance in hell we do that

And even if we don’t sign brown long-term I would be surprised if we don’t franchise tag him for 2022
totally agree and would hope they would do that, of course that's going to depend what our cap issue is and what the salary cap is going to be at that point. Should be ok though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If tyre looked good then I would, but he hasn’t looked good so no.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would do it if we’re talking a 2021 2nd round pick and a 2022 1st round pick. Not sure we’d get that kind of offer but that is the kind of deal that would make me make the move.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who do I want to resign? OBJ. I think having a great O-Line on this team is far more important than receivers (though Andrews has been Jackson's security blanket/number 1 target, so that's iffy to be completely honest- if this were Hollywood vs OBJ, this one would be easy)

Who will they resign? Andrews. We've shown time and time again in the past that we don't keep RT's, good decision or not. We locked Stanley up, and they'll think OBJ costs too much as a result. Plus, they've shown in the past that they take Lamar's input very seriously with the drafting of 5'8" Souja Brown over AJ Brown/DK, and Lamar will quickly say he wants to keep Andrews.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It is very hard to find an elite TE in this league and Andrews is atleast top 5. Although Zeus, Jr. is a very good tackle and gives us flexibility if Stanley were to go down again. That being said, I think we are better at finding lineman than we are at finding TE's, so I'm changing my answer to Mark Andrews after rethinking it.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m changing my vote. I would extend neither but if I had to choose it would be Andrews. Brown is great and I love him but I agree with the prices and worth vs ROI. If we could, I would even entertain trading Brown. Hear me out now but if a team with a huge need at LT missed out on their first round target and it’s before day 2 and the Ravens have their eyes on a few RT options in the 2nd or 3rd I would go and trade Brown if we could get a 2021 2nd or 3rd round pick and a say 2022 1st or 2nd round pick with potentially some 2021 day 3 picks. For example before someone says that’s unrealistic, I’m talking these kind of offers

Option 1: 2021 3rd & 4th round picks plus 2022 1st round pick
Option 2: 2021 2nd & 4th round picks plus 2022 2nd or 3rd