• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bills (Divisional Round)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Best I could come up with at short notice. Apparently Josh hates crab cakes so there's that too.
Now I really hate him. Anyone in their right mind doesn't hate crab cakes. Oh wait, he's probably never had a true crab cake. You don't get those anywhere outside of Maryland. lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Looks like we’re just going to miss rain and snow in Buffalo. It will rain Friday with scattered snow Sunday, but obviously things can change. That could be beneficial in slowing down the game and that high octane offense, though after the Browns game, I can now trust us in a shootout.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Allen holds the ball and yannick/Judon are both animals against those types of qbs, I’m expecting 3-4 sacks and at least one sack fumble

worth noting though that last time we played the bills, their receivers and offensive scheme were beating us but allen was missing a lot

they've added diggs to that group and allen's far better - our corners are gonna have to have an immaculate game

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
worth noting though that last time we played the bills, their receivers and offensive scheme were beating us but allen was missing a lot

they've added diggs to that group and allen's far better - our corners are gonna have to have an immaculate game
Our front 7 is better this time, which should help, right?

Did Jimmy play in that game? I can't remember how healthy he was last year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

They ran the ball well last year and most of their damage came from outside runs, they don’t run anymore and we don’t give up much on the ground either.

now in Buffalo in January I’m supposed to be afraid of their offense which is now incredibly 1 dimensional, because allen is less prone to massive overthrows?

we’ll see lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They ran the ball well last year and most of their damage came from outside runs, they don’t run anymore and we don’t give up much on the ground either.

now in Buffalo in January I’m supposed to be afraid of their offense which is now incredibly 1 dimensional, because allen is less prone to massive overthrows?

we’ll see lol

i mean that's a bit of an oversimplification - brian daboll's scheme has been awesome, diggs has been incredible and josh allen has been amazing too - they've got a litany of tier 2/3 type weapons to add to that pile too: cole beasley, john brown, gabriel davis, devin singletary, dawson knox

it's an explosive offence

Sonyab1974

Practice Squad
HI HI RAVENS FANS! ^_^ I'm a Bills fan! Nice to meet you all. ^_^ Well, all teams have weaknesses.. Nobody is perfect. Good luck on Saturday! I can't wait! *Shakes all of your hands*

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
Now I really hate him. Anyone in their right mind doesn't hate crab cakes. Oh wait, he's probably never had a true crab cake. You don't get those anywhere outside of Maryland. lol

I live in California and have crab cakes shipped here from Maryland. Well worth it.

Matt

Practice Squad

we’ll see lol

Hey, BillsMafia member here! Looking forward to the game, should be an exciting matchup and will vault one of the 2 QBs from the 2018 class into the AFC Championship game.

One point I want to make in regards to your comment is that the Bills have thrived against teams that employ a similar type of defense as the Ravens do. Allen has destroyed man coverage this year and has been the most blitzed QB in the NFL, and it works at times but the Bills have been exceptional at picking up blitzes all year long, and especially the RB's, whose main job in this offense in blitz pickup/pass pro.

Zack Moss is going to be a huge loss in this game for that reason. He has been amazing at this and stonewalls his defender most times. Singletary has been really good as well, but more often dose just enough to give Allen time to get the throw off. The dropoff will likely be with either TJ Yeldon or Antonio Williams.

Just to throw some stats out there against teams that played a similar style as the Ravens(blitz and man coverage), Allen was 121 of 174(69.5% completion) for 1,603 yards, 16 TDs, 3 INTs and 2 more rushing TDs with a QB Rating of 121.9. These teams were Miami(twice, although he only played the first half against Miami in the 2nd game), Seattle, LA Rams, Pittsburgh. In those games, the Bills averaged 38.4 points per game and Allen averaged 356 yards passing, twice going for over 400.

In charting data against just Man Coverage(blitz/no blitz), Allen has 26 TDs against 2 INTs and the highest rating in the NFL.

Also to note, the Bills have played top 10 defenses 5 times this year --- LA Rams(1), Pittsburgh(3), San Fran(5), Colts(7), Chargers(10) and are 5-0, averaging 29.8 points a game.

Against top 10 pass defenses(LA Rams(1), Pittsburgh(3), San Fran(4), New England(7--twice), LA Chargers(9), Arizona(10)) the Bills are 6-1 with the only loss coming on the "Hail Murray" and average 30.6 points a game. Allen stats in these games: 168 of 243(69.1%) for 1,839 yards, 17 TDs and 6 INTs with a passer rating of 104.3.

Just pointing out that no matter what way you want to slice it, Allen has excelled against top defenses(Miami entered week 17 with the #1 scoring defense in the NFL and we hung 56 points on them) and while I understand your confidence in your defensive play, that has not been a recipe for success against the Bills and especially Josh Allen this year, especially with the style of defense the Ravens employ.

Look for a lot of deep over routes that feature the Bills WRs running across the field and away from the defender in the 15-25 yard range and a lot of deep comebacks with Diggs and Brown threatening the defense deep and when they turn and run, they snap off the route and pickup 15-20 yards. Allen's arm strength makes these almost impossible to defend because the ball gets there so fast and his anticipation has become so good.

Beasley is the security blanket across the middle and a big reason why the Bills are the #1 team in the NFL at converting 3rd downs. Knox is an athletic but still inconsistent TE that sometimes has inconsistent hands but can run good seam routes at times. Against Pittsburgh when the Bills were struggling to pick up the blitz in the first half, Knox was used as an H-Bock to help in the 2nd. Look for something similar if the Ravens can cause issues early.

Allen also makes Mahomes like throws a few times a game and has exceptional pocket presence and ability to slide around the pocket and also get outside on the edges away from pressure and make something happen. When he escapes to the right he has been killing teams with deep sideline strikes to WRs that start scrambling with him.

He can be somewhat careless with the ball, especially when running so the Ravens could cause some fumbles if they rip at the ball. He has been a lot better at getting down but Allen can try and do too much at times due to his extreme competitiveness. Sometimes he doesn't know when to stop fighting for an extra yard or two and it can get him into trouble.

Additionally, here are some isseus looking at the advanced metrics I could see for Baltimore:

Ravens blitz the most in the NFL at 44.1%, but they only get pressure 24.0%(11th best) and hurries 9.1%(20th best). They only have 39 sacks on the year, only one more than the Bills. What this seems to indicate is they blitz a lot but don't get there and even worse don't make the QB hurry his throws. I can promise you that if this holds true in this game the secondary is going to get torched. And yes, I understand you have very good corners, but so does Miami and so do the Rams and the Bills threw for 11 TDs in 2.5 games against them.

Bills did a tremendous job at shutting down ravens run game last year but I am very nervous about it because the Bills seem always allow several big runs every game and seemingly have issues shoring up the problem once teams find something that works in game. Also Addison is nowhere near as good as Shaq Lawson was at setting the edge and playing the run so that is definitely a big change from last year. Dream scenario for the Bills would be to get up big early and force the Ravens out of their run game.

Last edited:

Simba

Staff Member
I'm not afraid to say it... if a team does take us out of this playoffs, I hope it's the Bills. If we can't do it ourselves, I wouldn't mind at all if Buffalo won it all. A really well built team with a passionate fan base. I have a ton of respect for Buffalo and what has been built there.