• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bills (Divisional Round)

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
HI HI RAVENS FANS! ^_^ I'm a Bills fan! Nice to meet you all. ^_^ Well, all teams have weaknesses.. Nobody is perfect. Good luck on Saturday! I can't wait! *Shakes all of your hands*

Welcome to the boards! I was honestly hoping we would play you guys in the AFC Championship instead (we have unfinished business with KC), but I guess that wasn't meant to be. Hoping for a good game and may the best team win!

Huge respect for BillsMafia. Y'all are nuts and one of the best fanbases in the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not afraid to say it... if a team does take us out of this playoffs, I hope it's the Bills. If we can't do it ourselves, I wouldn't mind at all if Buffalo won it all. A really well built team with a passionate fan base. I have a ton of respect for Buffalo and what has been built there.

And they've got a good GM, good HC, good OC

and I love that they gave our guy Tyrod his shot to be a starter in the league

Last edited:

redrum52

Hall of Famer
worth noting though that last time we played the bills, their receivers and offensive scheme were beating us but allen was missing a lot

they've added diggs to that group and allen's far better - our corners are gonna have to have an immaculate game

People forget this. Guys were running WIDE open. Probably connects on more if not for the wind. He definitely connects this year with clear weather. Should play loose this weekend and I get that this is a better match up for us, but I'll be damned if I think it's a cakewalk.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
People forget this. Guys were running WIDE open. Probably connects on more if not for the wind. He definitely connects this year with clear weather. Should play loose this weekend and I get that this is a better match up for us, but I'll be damned if I think it's a cakewalk.
far from a cake walk.

Matt

Practice Squad

I'm telling you this is not a good matchup for the Ravens on D...I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen have numbers like Mahomes did when you played the Chiefs earlier this year...395 yards and 4 TDs...Allen has destroyed this type of scheme all year. And I know you got good corners but realistically are they any better than Howard/Jones in Miami or Ramsey/Williams with the Rams?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm telling you this is not a good matchup for the Ravens...I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen have numbers like Mahomes did when you played the Chiefs earlier this year...395 yards and 4 TDs...Allen has destroyed this type of scheme all year. And I know you got good corners but realistically are they any better than Howard/Jones in Miami or Ramsey/Williams with the Rams?

yes - because they go deeper - the team has been designed back to front around the idea of having enough corners good enough to run this sort of defence including 2 guys who were both all-pros only last year

im not saying the bills wont beat it because you have good receivers and a QB who's on fire and a good playcaller but the idea that it'll be a walkover for the bills on offence seems to misunderstand what it is that destroys the ravens secondary when we play the chiefs

and sort of counterintuitively it's about taking the linebackers out of the game and putting the outside corners in conflict in some of those deep crosser zone plays

ravens frequently got beaten this year because LBs were completely out of position - clyde edwards-helaire was the key player in the passing game that beat us - pre-snap motion, window dressing, drawing an inexperienced LB groups eyes out of position

we'll see whether the ravens adjust but i'm not expecting the bills to have anything like the chiefs gameplan that ripped this defence apart - stylistically the offences are very different

Matt

Practice Squad
yes - because they go deeper - the team has been designed back to front around the idea of having enough corners good enough to run this sort of defence including 2 guys who were both all-pros only last year

im not saying the bills wont beat it because you have good receivers and a QB who's on fire and a good playcaller but the idea that it'll be a walkover for the bills on offence seems to misunderstand what it is that destroys the ravens secondary when we play the chiefs

and sort of counterintuitively it's about taking the linebackers out of the game and putting the outside corners in conflict in some of those deep crosser zone plays

ravens frequently got beaten this year because LBs were completely out of position - clyde edwards-helaire was the key player in the passing game that beat us - pre-snap motion, window dressing, drawing an inexperienced LB groups eyes out of position

we'll see whether the ravens adjust but i'm not expecting the bills to have anything like the chiefs gameplan that ripped this defence apart - stylistically the offences are very different

Yeldon will likely be playing and he is a really good pass catching back but unsure how much playing time he will get. Bills typically use their backs for pass pro more than anything tho. The key will be if you can get there on the blitzes...advanced metrics seem to suggest the Ravens have struggled with that this year.

If they can't get there it is going to be a long day in coverage. The closest any team had at having success with this style was Pittsburgh, who statistically is a much better pass rushing team than the Ravens in basically every metric. Once they actually decided to block Heyward who was single handedly wrecking the gameplan most of the first half they torched them.

Will be interesting to see if Stills is active for this to give another deep threat to threaten them downfield other than Brown. Diggs can, but he usually runs intermediate routes.

Matt

Practice Squad

Big loss...he was fantastic at pass pro and stonewalling blitzers. Singletary is really good as well, but its the other back that would be in, either Yeldon or Williams, that I am concerned with especially if something happens to Singletary and he misses any length time in the game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm telling you this is not a good matchup for the Ravens on D...I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen have numbers like Mahomes did when you played the Chiefs earlier this year...395 yards and 4 TDs...Allen has destroyed this type of scheme all year. And I know you got good corners but realistically are they any better than Howard/Jones in Miami or Ramsey/Williams with the Rams?
No. But are they better than Indy, who held up pretty well? As I think the Titans game showed, this isn't just a man-coverage, leave corners on an island type of scheme. Especially true when there's not nearly as much emphasis on stacking the box to stop the run, given that Buffalo doesn't run it anywhere near as well as the Titans.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
You’re full of it lmao. We’ll see what happens, but if you’re expecting Mahomes numbers from Josh against our defense, I want what you’re on.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What the hell is up with these cocky ass Bills fans coming in here today? Good lord

Matt

Practice Squad
No. But are they better than Indy, who held up pretty well? As I think the Titans game showed, this isn't just a man-coverage, leave corners on an island type of scheme. Especially true when there's not nearly as much emphasis on stacking the box to stop the run, given that Buffalo doesn't run it anywhere near as well as the Titans.

Indy plays a completely different scheme. They rarely blitz and rush 4 playing zone behind it. On the one play they tried to play man and blitz Allen smoked them for a 35 yard TD to Diggs.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Indy plays a completely different scheme. They rarely blitz and rush 4 playing zone behind it. On the one play they tried to play man and blitz Allen smoked them for a 35 yard TD to Diggs.
OK, but the Ravens also don't really play a scheme. I think that's my point. We played a pretty good chunk of what you just described on Sunday.

It's actually pretty rare for really any good defense to just play the same way against every opponent.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

I said BETTER match up. My choices were you or Chiefs...

And I think the Bills are fully capable of winning it all this year.

Last edited: