• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

City's 3-Round Mock Draft 2018

Well, I thought that since we are almost halfway through the NFL season, that I put out a mock for the first time this season. These are the prospects that I do hope we take. We currently have the 9th pick in the draft so I am going off of that for now. I have not had a complete look at all of the top College prospects so please bear with me for now as I'm going with just three rounds. With all that being said, here's my mock.

Round 1, Pick 9: Bradley Chubb, DE/OLB NC State:

Bradley-Chubb-2.jpg

I might catch some flack for this, but I think Chubb is going to rise in the class big time. He has a great blend of size/strength and burst. I think Chubb is a riser in this years class as a high-floor/high ceiling player. I question where we will place him because at this moment he's either a DE or OLB wherever he goes. I think the need for a DE is dramatically underrated here. The DL has been a disappointment and Kaufusi/Wormley have been getting manhandled against the run while putting on a pedestrian performance in the pass rush department. I think Chubb would be a guy we either flex as a DE/Edge depending on whoever running the defense puts him. Regardless, Chubb will be a drastic boost to our pass rush and run stopping, I think the value of Chubb trumps anyone. A lot of people point to Brandon Williams poor play last season as to why our run D declined, but another important piece to our DL who also hit a wall was Timmy Jernigan, who we failed to replace in the worst way possible. I think as the season progresses, people will begin to further see that this DL had more problem then just Brandon Williams injury.

I wanted Fitzpatrick or even James but I think those two will get snatched up before we even have a shot.

I feel like I have to address why I have us passing on Quenton Nelson so I'll just lay out it here. I do not think he will make our offense better. Let's ask this question, if Yanda and Lewis never suffer injuries, is our offense the 32nd ranked offense in the league? No, but are they that much better? No. I think what we haven't addressed in regards to the Ravens is their complete lack of play-makers, I think that's a bigger issue then the OL. What can you honestly do if you not only lose your starters, but your back ups, and then your 3rd string guard? It's a terrible situation from the start. When it comes to receivers, you don't have any of that type of problems, just guys not playing up to standards, but after that, who do you think has a future here? I don't know, it looks bleak for every single one of them.

Now, I've talked up the WRs yet we don't take one round 1, well, that's why I have that as my 2nd round selection.

Round 2: Dante Pettis, WR, Washington

Dante+Pettis+Rutgers+v+Washington+yp_EpfO_LGQl.jpg

This is my guy at WR. I think Pettis is going to be a stud. One thing I really love about a receiver is a quick twitch guy, someone who can fake out a CB off the LOS of scrimmage, Pettis is so quick off the line and has that burst that will help him get separation in an instant. He's not just a deep threat, he can run routes, find the soft spots in coverage. Oh, and did I forget to mention he's a magnificent punt returner? I really hope he's there for us in the 2nd round because he would be a great asset to this team. Does he have flaws? Yes, you wish he was just a bit bigger at the receiver position and sound the alarms, he has issues with drops, but I don't think they're Perriman level stone hands by any means. He offers more value at a huge need then anyone else.

Arkansas+State+v+Auburn+XdUxNg-64PZl.jpg

Round 3: Braden Smith, OG, Auburn: Now here's our guard, took long enough didn't it? Now, I understand the need for a LG, but I think that Smith is guy who would provide significant depth as a guard. Obviously it won't happen immediately but I think he can provide some solid play for them as a starter. He's not further along the curve in the run blocking area as Nelson is, but he's certainly was one of the better pass blockers in College Football. A lot of people worry about his size and playing strength, but against top competition, he really preformed well. I think Smith is definitely a potential riser and could find himself in the 2nd round, but for now I think we'll be able to find him here in the early 3rd.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Those are 3 players love right there. I think we just need a QB at this point, but won't complain about any of those picks.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I need to watch more tape on Chubb, but for what I’ve seen he looks like a stud. Still feel we need to take bopa, unless it’s a huge difference at this point.

I need to watch more tape on Chubb, but for what I’ve seen he looks like a stud. Still feel we need to take bopa, unless it’s a huge difference at this point.
I think we need someone at the DE/Edge badly, that’s the only position I would take over BOPA honestly. The lack of a pass rush has been holding this defense back severely.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we need someone at the DE/Edge badly, that’s the only position I would take over BOPA honestly. The lack of a pass rush has been holding this defense back severely.
I'm going back on my word from last season and blaming pees and harbs, ZDS and wormley and kaufusi getting snaps over tim williams and willie Henry is a good way for us to get no pass rush and that's what's happening

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm going back on my word from last season and blaming pees and harbs, ZDS and wormley and kaufusi getting snaps over tim williams and willie Henry is a good way for us to get no pass rush and that's what's happening
If those slow guys can at least stop the run, you might be able to make a case of it but this is total insanity.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

tim williams has been injured the last couple of weeks and wormley has done ok when hes been in but you're 100% right about henry especially as carl davis coming back eliminated henry's snaps - carl davis is a backup nose tackle not a 5tech/pass rushing d lineman

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
tim williams has been injured the last couple of weeks and wormley has done ok when hes been in but you're 100% right about henry especially as carl davis coming back eliminated henry's snaps - carl davis is a backup nose tackle not a 5tech/pass rushing d lineman
I’d like to see Henry get more snaps as well. He has done well when given the chance.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d like to see Henry get more snaps as well. He has done well when given the chance.

i dont get why it has to be an either/or situation with our dline...

like why does having our starters mean we cant use our quality depth

henry was straight up dominating on some passing downs against nfl offensive linemen yet for some reason only gets 11 snaps once brandon williams and carl davis are back... that makes no sense

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i dont get why it has to be an either/or situation with our dline...

like why does having our starters mean we cant use our quality depth

henry was straight up dominating on some passing downs against nfl offensive linemen yet for some reason only gets 11 snaps once brandon williams and carl davis are back... that makes no sense
Henry did not have the best game vs run against Bears, so was benched because we were going to do much better in that department with BWill and Davis back.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good mock. I really like all those guys. Chubb to me is a top 10 player so no problem from me.

I honestly dont think Derwin James is going top 10. His lack of production is a problem

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If those slow guys can at least stop the run, you might be able to make a case of it but this is total insanity.
Furthering the case, they can't run stop or pass rush so wtf are they on the field for?
That's true about Timmy but he was a healthy scratch before he injury and had me wondering wtf is going on. Also the snap count he gets is just silly

I think Williams and Henry should've gotten PT, but one thing to keep in mind that a weakness in Williams game was his inability to set the edge. I'm just as upset as anyone here and the lack of PT Williams has received but unfortunately without seeing him on the field we can't give him an evaluation and believe that he can step up for us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I remember Tim had 6 and Bowser 8 snaps in the same game, not sure whether London or vs Steelers.

it was oakland - bowser was already in the doghouse after jax and then williams apparently lost contain on a play (which was apparently a huge deal despite the fact that he nearly made a huge play on that play) and didnt play another down in the game and hasnt played a down since (nominally due to injury)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it was oakland - bowser was already in the doghouse after jax and then williams apparently lost contain on a play (which was apparently a huge deal despite the fact that he nearly made a huge play on that play) and didnt play another down in the game and hasnt played a down since (nominally due to injury)
Reading this sequence of events makes me so fucking mad...

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

It's fucking ridiculous. We always do this stuff with rookies. Why can't just we put them in a position to do what they did well in college, while teaching them the rest in practice? Always waste 2 years of their careers, then when they put everything together we let them go in FA and start torturing new guys who had bad luck getting drafted as round 2-3 Ravens OLBs.

Elvis Dumervil had difficulty with stupid Pees schemes in his first year, what the fuck do they expect from rookies?

The Greek

Veteran
a dc with the organized chaos/aggressive mentality would do wonders with this current roster. i agree if a pass rusher with a skill set of suggs were to fall to us in the 1st than i absolutely draft him but if that is not the case than we have to go offense. i do not think we should go qb until 2019 that way we get to see more before the rookie contract expires.

a dc with the organized chaos/aggressive mentality would do wonders with this current roster. i agree if a pass rusher with a skill set of suggs were to fall to us in the 1st than i absolutely draft him but if that is not the case than we have to go offense. i do not think we should go qb until 2019 that way we get to see more before the rookie contract expires.
It’s hard to legitimately pick a QB if you do not have the pieces in place to help him succeed. No rookie QB is really going to do anything for us, besides, I’m not sold on any of the 1st round QBs. I would rather see us pick one next year reguardless of where we are in the draft if Joe does not show up again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

especially with the fact that yes he lost contain but he made donald penn look silly on the exact same play and in the 4 snaps i focused on in that match he bulled penn twice for pressures, squeezed down in the run game and didnt bite on the read option/rush without thinking, and made penn dive to the floor and juked out of the way on the play where he lost contain - i rewatched that play when analysing the oakland game and was like holy shit timmy williams is looking great - only afterwards did i find out that that he was benched after that play (and that filmstudy was criticising him harshly for it and the coaching staff evidently thought it was unforgivable or something)