• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Brutal, The Bad and The Ugly

Biggest Offseason need?

• Total voters

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Amen, I think we’re both saying the same thing here. That’s the whole point is that Lamar is good enough to win with our current OL but we don’t need to go crazy and overreact and just immediately spend high picks on it. If a C is there and best player take that man and don’t look back. I’m just cautious because I’ve loved dudes before but they haven’t panned out either. It really is a bit of luck too we’ve seen guys go unstaffed even recently and have huge impacts. Jensen was a 6th round pick who took years to mature into who he is. It just takes time and some patience that’s all.

I think we all know what they have in common and it’s not just that they play QB and could run. Tyrod, Vick, Lamar, Manuel, Young... some people just act like these dudes are all the same guy.

Defense could’ve done better but after yesterday I won’t throw them to the wolves, guys do need to finish but they’re just not why we lost. I don’t understand the miscues though. I thought Clark had the green dot and was a good leader back there. We’ve had issues all year getting guys lined up on defense

in terms of drafting OL - this organisation's got a pretty good track record when we draft OL in the first 3 rounds - doesn't happen often (partly because we often nail it when we do and/or have found gems later in the draft) but the last "miss" inside the first 3 rounds on the OL we've had was Jah Reid in 2011

tbf we've only picked 4 OL in the first 3 rounds since 2010... 3 pro bowlers (Kelechi Osemele, Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown) and jah reid lol

in terms of the defensive issues - it looked to me like it's a substitution issue (mostly) rather than a green dot issue - it's about guys getting on the field late or trying to make a substitution when the other team's quickening the pace

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Like others I let all of this marinate a little. You win some, you lose some, I guess, but it's getting old losing in these important games where it just seems everyone was not on the same page or simply unprepeared...

The passing OFF is simply unacceptable. Some will say it's the players, but I will continue to err on the side of poor coaching. I said it last night and I know there is some agreement and disagreement about it, but there is no explanation for why we have never had a true all pro WR drafted by this team. Never. The numbers of WR's we've picked are commensurate with other teams - albeit not in the first 2 rounds, as Ross pointed out, but it is simply mind boggling, especially considering the exceptional drafts we've had and our seemingly unending ability to coach up undrafted players on DEF, that we could be as utterly terrible at identifying talent at the WR position.

I contend we have had talent at the position and do now, but they are not being coached well. One could potentially make a similar argument about QB, but that's for another time. I am not against a long term deal for Lamar, I'm more in a wait and see mode personally, but I think the club is going to make him the franchise QB for many years to come very soon. That said, that commitment needs to come with a bold move from the FO to either make a big splash with a new OC who better understands passing or sticking with Roman but providing an innovative (horse whisperer-type) QB coach and a dynamic Asst OC coach who will work to integrate blocking and passing schemes that are above elementary school level - as Steve Smith calls our other than running offense.

The Bills were stacking the box, for sure, but we were still pretty successful running. Yet they knew when we were passing! It was almost like "tip-gate" against the Chargers a couple of years ago.

Since it seems the die is cast with Lamar and a long term deal, with such a huge commitment much come a new seed commitment from the FO and ownership to properly develop him and a complete OFF around him that accentuates what he does well. There really needs to be a seed change with how this team works to develop players involved in the passing game and the whole strategy involved in weaving that part of the offense into a cohesive threat. Without that commitment, I think we have a lot of early exit Playoffs or just missed chances at getting there in the first place.

Reactions: cdp

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I think what we're seeing RE: the passing game and our ability to win goes somewhat back to analytics and efficiency

we have the best running game in the league and a well below-average passing game yet in terms of EPA our passing game rates above our running game - we're the only team in the league where the scores are even close enough to consider being a "run-first offence"

what that tells me is that this running game has taken us as far as it can - being a dynamic running attack can only take us so far as an offence - even with our lacklustre passing attack the analytics would probably still tell us we should be passing more than we are

you have to think that any sort of major upgrade to this passing attack would constitute a massive increase in efficiency for this offence which in turn would potentially limit the possibility of games like last night's happen again

im not saying we need to turn lamar into a gun-slinger but i do think we need to maybe self-evaluate how far this style of offence can take us in the modern nfl

TLDR fire Roman. We can't extend Lamar if we don't see him in another offense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
in terms of drafting OL - this organisation's got a pretty good track record when we draft OL in the first 3 rounds - doesn't happen often (partly because we often nail it when we do and/or have found gems later in the draft) but the last "miss" inside the first 3 rounds on the OL we've had was Jah Reid in 2011

tbf we've only picked 4 OL in the first 3 rounds since 2010... 3 pro bowlers (Kelechi Osemele, Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown) and jah reid lol

in terms of the defensive issues - it looked to me like it's a substitution issue (mostly) rather than a green dot issue - it's about guys getting on the field late or trying to make a substitution when the other team's quickening the pace
Ahhh makes sense on defense getting there late. That’s very true, we’ve seen that happen a bit. I forgot all about that. On OL, I think it’s also a good point that it takes time to acclimate. First and second round picks and even third rounders are usually expected to be an immediate starter in a lot of ways. Osemele, Brown JR, Stanley, Yanda, Grubbs were all great for us and that may be because we’re good at scouting OL. That’s why I trust in the Ravens to make the right call. I mean I loved that guy Price coming out and he was a flop so far. I also really liked Kelly and he’s been good but it really amounts to a lot of what you said. If we pick IOL I’m good with it and if we don’t I’m also good with it. I don’t want to see a LB or RB with our first few picks unless they’re some crazy elite talent. You can make an argument for almost any position being worth it if the right player is there.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ahhh makes sense on defense getting there late. That’s very true, we’ve seen that happen a bit. I forgot all about that. On OL, I think it’s also a good point that it takes time to acclimate. First and second round picks and even third rounders are usually expected to be an immediate starter in a lot of ways. Osemele, Brown JR, Stanley, Yanda, Grubbs were all great for us and that may be because we’re good at scouting OL. That’s why I trust in the Ravens to make the right call. I mean I loved that guy Price coming out and he was a flop so far. I also really liked Kelly and he’s been good but it really amounts to a lot of what you said. If we pick IOL I’m good with it and if we don’t I’m also good with it. I don’t want to see a LB or RB with our first few picks unless they’re some crazy elite talent. You can make an argument for almost any position being worth it if the right player is there.

yep i agree with all of that - tbh positional value-wise i was pretty livid about drafting a LB and RB with our first 2 picks even in 2020 - im glad we've got JK and Queen obviously

but ill be even more livid if i see us spend any decent draft capital on either of those positions this year lol

i also liked price, and loved will hernandez and isaiah wynn that year - you're right it's often tough with IOL to pick the right one - partly i think because it's scheme dependent but also because it's getting tougher more generally to evaluate OL in college

that being said the ravens have a really good track record drafting OL especially in recent history - if they pick a guy high at IOL I'm going to feel pretty confident about the pick even if I didn't rate the prospect highly personally

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Clear thought. Even with how shitty almost everything besides the defense was yesterday we still hung with one of the best teams. Score doesn't reflect how that game really went but changes have to be made to the passing game. We draft two of the most sure handed wrs and barely get them involved. The route concepts are absolute just add water concentrated garbage juice.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Clear thought. Even with how shitty almost everything besides the defense was yesterday we still hung with one of the best teams. Score doesn't reflect how that game really went but changes have to be made to the passing game. We draft two of the most sure handed wrs and barely get them involved. The route concepts are absolute just add water concentrated garbage juice.

i mean i agree but it's getting boring having to keep taking "moral" victories from these playoff games lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

this is ridiculous - some piece of shit came after Skura and his wife again over DM after we lost
not that it would be acceptable if he was but he didnt even realise skura wasnt the center last night which just makes it even worse

is this real or a joke and if it is a joke, it's pretty bad.

I'm still so annoyed with the way we lost last night. How does a good (sometimes great) team have so many crap playoff games in a row.?!??!
What's the point of getting to the playoffs and have an exit like this. Do we switch OC again? How many more chances for Harbs?? 3 freakin points scored all game unbelievable...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

We're close to breaking through, but we just need to get that passing game fixed. Roman needs to go and we need to get some fresh ideas on the offensive side of the ball so Lamar can take the next step in becoming a playoff winning QB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
is this real or a joke and if it is a joke, it's pretty bad.

nope this is real - skura and his wife got threats and shit after skura had the awful game earlier in the year and this is just a continuation of that im pretty sure

but this time even worse because the fan got the wrong guy - which clearly means they werent even paying attention so they clearly didnt care enough to watch the game or follow the team yet somehow feel righteous enough to actively attack a player (not that that would be acceptable if they had but just makes it even stupider to me)

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

this is ridiculous - some piece of shit came after Skura and his wife again over DM after we lost
not that it would be acceptable if he was but he didnt even realise skura wasnt the center last night which just makes it even worse

What a scumbag. Disown him as a Ravens fan and give him to the trash Titans fanbase.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm still so annoyed with the way we lost last night. How does a good (sometimes great) team have so many crap playoff games in a row.?!??!
What's the point of getting to the playoffs and have an exit like this. Do we switch OC again? How many more chances for Harbs?? 3 freakin points scored all game unbelievable...

i think in 37 regular season games the ravens have scored more than 20 points in 34 of them
yet in 4 playoff games we've not scored more than 20 points even once

it's just bizarre

redrum52

Hall of Famer
i mean i agree but it's getting boring having to keep taking "moral" victories from these playoff games lol

This is the first game I remember where the loss really didn't hurt me. Sucks how it happened, but I don't even know how to explain this game. My hope is we move on from Roman. I came into this season thinking Culley would have helped elevate the passing game and was wrong. We need a fresh mind who will still incorporate these runs.

Another take away is Hollywood is EXACTLY who I thought he was.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is the first game I remember where the loss really didn't hurt me. Sucks how it happened, but I don't even know how to explain this game. My hope is we move on from Roman. I came into this season thinking Culley would have helped elevate the passing game and was wrong. We need a fresh mind who will still incorporate these runs.

Another take away is Hollywood is EXACTLY who I thought he was.

i was the same - i was so relieved to get that first win that i was ok if the divisional round was the end - the close score sucked me in and the frustration of self-destructing on offence is really annoying but i was mentally ready if we lost

i still think in the grand totality of the season it was a really successful year - just didnt finish the way we would have wanted to (just sucks that we can say the exact same thing - re: our last game of the year - 2 seasons in a row)

and I'm glad Hollywood turned around his mid-season slump - i absolutely loved him coming out of Oklahoma - he was far and away my favourite receiver in that class and he's winning all over the all-22 every week