• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Brutal, The Bad and The Ugly

Biggest Offseason need?

• Total voters

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just read what those "fans" comment below this tweet:

Absolutely disgraceful

It's so dumb. Have they even been watching the games this season? Mekari had a bad game last night, but he was absolutely solid before that and was a huge improvement over Skura. Fake ass fans....

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Would like to add, we've had a lot of new bum ass fans pop up who make us look awful. If you're going to go out of your way to trash talk a player to his wife, at least make sure you have the right guy. How do you not even know who you're mad at? Skura hasn't started at C for weeks. Seeing this, I'm curious what people might have been saying to Tucker.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would like to add, we've had a lot of new bum ass fans pop up who make us look awful. If you're going to go out of your way to trash talk a player to his wife, at least make sure you have the right guy. How do you not even know who you're mad at? Skura hasn't started at C for weeks. Seeing this, I'm curious what people might have been saying to Tucker.

that's the thing i really dont get on an intellectual level

you're THAT into a team that you feel like sending threats/trash talking a player's partner yet you somehow aren't following the team closely enough to actually get the right player

it's not like they have big ol' names and numbers on their backs to help you differentiate them from each other... oh wait...

if this is the kind of dissonance we're getting from some of these fans - then tucker probably isn't gonna get any threats - they'll all be somehow going to kaare vedvik's sister's best-friend's room-mate's partner for missing those kicks

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Anyone speaks ill of the GOAT and we're throwing hands

But yeah, it seems like quite a few of the newer Ravens fans that we've acquired over the past couple of years are fairweather fans and immature when we lose. Feel like we used to be one of the most respected fanbases in the league and now we're not viewed as such.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I haven't looked at any social media or watched any television since last night and also haven't looked at the board here. I didn't want to write some stupid hot take. With that being said, one single idea keeps coming back to me. I want to hear your guys' thoughts on it. It feels to me, that during the Lamar era we have consistently beaten teams we should, and been pretty decent against good teams in the regular season. We've been bad against great teams in the regular season, but that really only applies to KC. In terms of the playoffs, I'd say we've put up embarrassing performances in 2 of 3 and a well fought game against an above average but far from great team once.

To me, beating tons of bad and mediocre teams, coupled with always losing in pretty convincing fashion to KC, and the self inflicted loses to good teams in the playoffs just tells me we're really just an OK team with a dynamic quarterback. What Lamar has done can't he understated, but I'm thinking the Ravens are failing him. At the end of this season JJ Watt apologized to Deshaun Watson and said we wasted one of your prime years. I'm just wondering if the way the team has been constructed and the way thats its being coached puts an inherently high floor and low ceiling on our team. That's why we don't lose when we're not supposed to, but the better teams just know how to force us into mistakes and we can't quite break that ceiling.

All that said, do we think that in one years time, given our FAs and cap and draft situation, that we could make enough changes to this offense to not burn another one of Lamars prime years?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I haven't looked at any social media or watched any television since last night and also haven't looked at the board here. I didn't want to write some stupid hot take. With that being said, one single idea keeps coming back to me. I want to hear your guys' thoughts on it. It feels to me, that during the Lamar era we have consistently beaten teams we should, and been pretty decent against good teams in the regular season. We've been bad against great teams in the regular season, but that really only applies to KC. In terms of the playoffs, I'd say we've put up embarrassing performances in 2 of 3 and a well fought game against an above average but far from great team once.

To me, beating tons of bad and mediocre teams, coupled with always losing in pretty convincing fashion to KC, and the self inflicted loses to good teams in the playoffs just tells me we're really just an OK team with a dynamic quarterback. What Lamar has done can't he understated, but I'm thinking the Ravens are failing him. At the end of this season JJ Watt apologized to Deshaun Watson and said we wasted one of your prime years. I'm just wondering if the way the team has been constructed and the way thats its being coached puts an inherently high floor and low ceiling on our team. That's why we don't lose when we're not supposed to, but the better teams just know how to force us into mistakes and we can't quite break that ceiling.

All that said, do we think that in one years time, given our FAs and cap and draft situation, that we could make enough changes to this offense to not burn another one of Lamars prime years?

i wrote a post earlier in this thread about the way the offence is philosophically set-up regarding run vs pass and that i think the focus on run has taken us as far as it can

the analytics tell us it's more efficient to pass even with our well-below-average passing game and historically efficient running game - i think there has to be a focus shift organisationally to understand that it was a fun experiment going all in on the running game but we cannot function without a passing game

i dont think there's another level we can take this running game to find extra efficiency and even if we can it feels like we're going to only get diminishing returns at this point - there are massive gains in efficiency to be made in the passing game which is naturally favourable in efficiency terms anyway

i think we have to go all-in retooling this passing game which will do 2 things: 1) it will give us the best chance to succeed and lamar too and 2) it will give us the best possible evaluation of Lamar

i dont want to be overly-critical because the last 2 years have been some of the most fan ive ever had as a ravens fan but if we want to get past the divisional round we need a passing game - whether it requires weapons, or scheme or whatever... we need to fundamentally rebuild the passing game from the ground up

A1A

Veteran
i think in 37 regular season games the ravens have scored more than 20 points in 34 of them
yet in 4 playoff games we've not scored more than 20 points even once

it's just bizarre

It's called choking my son..its called choking. The pressure is just to much for this team.

As the saying goes the team is a reflection of their coach.

This is a fairly young squad we have and when coaching a bunch of 20 year olds u need to be more hands on cause they don't know no better. When Lamar is 30 then u can relax a bit but until then u have to remind him "don't do anything silly here this is a huge drive gotta come away with points". But nah coach just sits back and waits to see what happens.

Oh how bout that clock management yikes...again waiting for the kid to make a big play so u can take the credit.

Even the great BB could be heard telling a 10+ year veteran #12 to not take any chances to make sure they get at least 3 in the RZ.

Maybe I'm just to emotionally invested cause I have to many memories of him literally destroying us from the inside. His whole gimmick is played out. Chalk it up boys another promising year and another Playoff embarrassing exit.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
It's called choking my son..its called choking. The pressure is just to much for this team.

As the saying goes the team is a reflection of their coach.

This is a fairly young squad we have and when coaching a bunch of 20 year olds u need to be more hands on cause they don't know no better. When Lamar is 30 then u can relax a bit but until then u have to remind him "don't do anything silly here this is a huge drive gotta come away with points". But nah coach just sits back and waits to see what happens.

Oh how bout that clock management yikes...again waiting for the kid to make a big play so u can take the credit.

Even the great BB could be heard telling a 10+ year veteran #12 to not take any chances to make sure they get at least 3 in the RZ.

Maybe I'm just to emotionally invested cause I have to many memories of him literally destroying us from the inside. His whole gimmick is played out. Chalk it up boys another promising year and another Playoff embarrassing exit.

Yeah you just being emotional. This team really accomplished quite a bit this regular season especially with all they had to face with Earl Thomas, covid, injuries and etc. Some Ravens fans was calling it a season after Ronnie Stanley was placed on i.r but yet The Ravens made it to the playoffs and actually won a playoff game. That was a major accomplishment for Lamar Jackson especially since before then many question his ability to actually help his team win in the playoffs. Hey I''m sure we all would had loved to see The Ravens continue playing to the point of making it to the super bowl but I really don't think there really nothing be greatful for. I appreciate watching a team fight through so much adversity and actually making a statement to a degree in the playoffs or during the regular season.

I don't get how we can watch the Joe Flacco era and not respect or understand it's all about the journey. There was heart break losses in the playoffs when The Ravens had Flacco as their quarterback during his rookie season or during the time when he was playing on his rookie contract. It is what it is but nothing just happens. It all will workout and be what shapes this team to be what it desires to be and accomplish.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ohhhhh rossi, you KNOW what else they have in common. Yes........I'm going there.
I said the same thing. Vick, Vince Young, Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, etc. were all called the same guy at various stages and Lamar is included there. Then you have a guy like Allen who came out also being good at running the ball with bad accuracy but I don’t know who people compared him. I guess he’s just Allen. He does seem like a good dude though but I hate these comparisons. They’re usually never good.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's so dumb. Have they even been watching the games this season? Mekari had a bad game last night, but he was absolutely solid before that and was a huge improvement over Skura. Fake ass fans....
Mekari has been one of the top centers in the league since taking over as starter at mid season.

Matt

Practice Squad
I said the same thing. Vick, Vince Young, Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, etc. were all called the same guy at various stages and Lamar is included there. Then you have a guy like Allen who came out also being good at running the ball with bad accuracy but I don’t know who people compared him. I guess he’s just Allen. He does seem like a good dude though but I hate these comparisons. They’re usually never good.

Allen was not inaccurate tho. At least not in terms of what most people think. He was inconsistently accurate due to poor mechanics, not because he was inherently inaccurate. He would win competitions at camps with other QBs by being the only QB to hit the cross bar on the FG uprights from 30 yards away.

He worked exceptionally hard over the offseasons to fix his mechanics, they digitized his throwing motion and saw he wasn't using his lower body at all and Jordan Palmer made him throw on sand to get used to not always having a consistent base to throw from but ensuring his upper body always went through the same motion regardless.

This is why the huge change occurred, along with him mastering his recognition, understanding of defensive schemes and knowing where to go with the ball and how to manipulate defenders in various coverages.

Allen has every physical gift you would want in a QB as well as all of the intangibles from a leadership and clutch point of view and is very smart also, scoring a 37 on the wonderlic. The scary thing is I don't think he is even close to his ceiling yet. He is still learning and will continue to get better. I know Mahomes is considered as the likely GOAT by the time he retires but Allen can be just as good if not better. He is more physically gifted than Mahomes and can do things Mahomes can't from that standpoint. People don't want to see that but if they really look at it, it is true. He is bigger, faster and stronger with a stronger arm. Mahomes may have more guile and maybe a better feel in certain situations but Allen has been outstanding this year at navigating the pocket and shifting around to but an extra split second.

Either way it should be a great battle next week and I am hoping Mahomes/Allen turns into Manning/Brady over the next decade+

Have a great offseason, hoping we meet again next year, these teams seem to always play close, physical but clean games against each other and compete the way you should and that is to be respected.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Allen was not inaccurate tho. At least not in terms of what most people think. He was inconsistently accurate due to poor mechanics, not because he was inherently inaccurate. He would win competitions at camps with other QBs by being the only QB to hit the cross bar on the FG uprights from 30 yards away.

He worked exceptionally hard over the offseasons to fix his mechanics, they digitized his throwing motion and saw he wasn't using his lower body at all and Jordan Palmer made him throw on sand to get used to not always having a consistent base to throw from but ensuring his upper body always went through the same motion regardless.

This is why the huge change occurred, along with him mastering his recognition, understanding of defensive schemes and knowing where to go with the ball and how to manipulate defenders in various coverages.

Allen has every physical gift you would want in a QB as well as all of the intangibles from a leadership and clutch point of view and is very smart also, scoring a 37 on the wonderlic. The scary thing is I don't think he is even close to his ceiling yet. He is still learning and will continue to get better. I know Mahomes is considered as the likely GOAT by the time he retires but Allen can be just as good if not better. He is more physically gifted than Mahomes and can do things Mahomes can't from that standpoint. People don't want to see that but if they really look at it, it is true. He is bigger, faster and stronger with a stronger arm. Mahomes may have more guile and maybe a better feel in certain situations but Allen has been outstanding this year at navigating the pocket and shifting around to but an extra split second.

Either way it should be a great battle next week and I am hoping Mahomes/Allen turns into Manning/Brady over the next decade+

Have a great offseason, hoping we meet again next year, these teams seem to always play close, physical but clean games against each other and compete the way you should and that is to be respected.
Good luck. FWIW I think Allen is a good dude but for your sake I hope he is who you think he is. All or most of us last year thought the same thing about Jackson and he took a step back. We’ll see if the same happens to your QB. I still think your comparisons of Lamar to Vick and/or Manuel are lazy though

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Mekari is good and should be competing against TCC and a draft pick.
Only if a draft pick makes sense. Don’t go drafting creed Humphrey in the first round just because. TCC should be the incumbent and if a draft pick happens, ie. a Landon Dickerson or creed Humphrey falls in round 2, then we have the competition. But if there’s a wr, edge, or literally any elite OL at any position, that’s where I’m going over one of the consensus centers in round 1.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Thank goodness I'm not in the twitter world. Texting somebodies wife? Wtf.

We do have serious snapping issues tho and I blame a lot of that on 99.99% on us playing out of pistol or shotgun.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only if a draft pick makes sense. Don’t go drafting creed Humphrey in the first round just because. TCC should be the incumbent and if a draft pick happens, ie. a Landon Dickerson or creed Humphrey falls in round 2, then we have the competition. But if there’s a wr, edge, or literally any elite OL at any position, that’s where I’m going over one of the consensus centers in round 1.
Couldn’t agree more but I’m sure a C will be BPA at some point, it’s just a question of who and if we want them. Could even trade up for a guy if we really like them (not first round pick here like second, third, fourth etc where moving up is easier/cheaper)

Is there a C on the FA market worth anything? I suppose we could trade for someone too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Couldn’t agree more but I’m sure a C will be BPA at some point, it’s just a question of who and if we want them. Could even trade up for a guy if we really like them (not first round pick here like second, third, fourth etc where moving up is easier/cheaper)

Is there a C on the FA market worth anything? I suppose we could trade for someone too

only high quality Cs on the free agent market this year are corey linsley and david andrews - both are gonna get paid
and Ted Karras who emerged out of nowhere this year but is also gonna get paid

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
only high quality Cs on the free agent market this year are corey linsley and david andrews - both are gonna get paid
and Ted Karras who emerged out of nowhere this year but is also gonna get paid
I like both those guys, will be interested to see what happens. We could definitely sign one but could also target a G & slide Bozeman back to C as well. There's a lot of possibilities with that. I think either of them could fit what we do here in Linsley & Andrews. I was a big fan of Andrews coming out, only issue with him is those health issues he had not too long ago. Ted Karras is a bit of a flag for me; could continue ascending or fall off a cliff after getting paid.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
Last in League Passing Yards.....1st in League Rushing Yards. 1st in the League Team Defense. You really think its the team? A team that runs effectively usually has great passing results. You sure you're focused upon the problem? (Granting Jackson's influence on the running stats.) What has been the problem all three of the past years?

Here's what a knowledgeable sports personality says. He's right.