• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
not worth it. this rushing offense will continue to churn without dobbins, so will the passing game. this offense doesnt need an elite rb to be effective its just nice to have his explosive play threat. and what rbs are really out there anyway? Gus is RB1 capable on this offense and frankly hes shown us that we absolutely should trust him as our lead back, and let ty'son williams show what hes got.

honestly, if we need to get back that explosive element, let lamar get it back, put the ball in his hands a bit more if you think our run game becomes less valuable without dobbins.

i do worry about how good we'll be at counter bash or inverted veer type concepts generally without JK which was a staple of our successful rushing attack down the stretch last year

but not sure who'd even be in the league and available who could even remotely replace dobbins in those types of plays...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Gus is phenomenal but he still lacks the necessary speed to be RB1. I’m comfortable rolling with Gus but the big play potential is certainly lessened without JK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe when he was a rookie he lacked the speed - gus has shown massive gains in speed the last few years - he's not got the elite change of direction that JK had but he's got that top speed to run away from guys and defeat the angle

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Gus is phenomenal but he still lacks the necessary speed to be RB1. I’m comfortable rolling with Gus but the big play potential is certainly lessened without JK

our playbook loses a bit of diversity, gus was already showing better ability in the pass game last year though, so if he continues to make strides there he may help us make up for some of that lost diversity.

im okay with the run game losing like 10% of its explosiveness, as long as it stays consistent, and gus will keep it consistent. its up to lamar though to make our offense more explosive, and he needs to do it with his arm.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
maybe when he was a rookie he lacked the speed - gus has shown massive gains in speed the last few years - he's not got the elite change of direction that JK had but he's got that top speed to run away from guys and defeat the angle

I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with Gus as lead back. People keep mentioning receiving elsewhere… all the times I’ve seen him in receiving opportunities he’s made clutch plays.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
our playbook loses a bit of diversity, gus was already showing better ability in the pass game last year though, so if he continues to make strides there he may help us make up for some of that lost diversity.

im okay with the run game losing like 10% of its explosiveness, as long as it stays consistent, and gus will keep it consistent. its up to lamar though to make our offense more explosive, and he needs to do it with his arm.

Just like in my last post, I see absolutely nothing wrong with Gus, at least as a liability, in receiving. Also, if JK is Rice, Gus is definitely McGahee

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
BC7593BB-F686-4D13-9A8C-41813312B4CF.png
86CBDD5E-BACB-4793-87EF-387A370CEBF5.png

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I had to miss the game last night. Obviously saw the Dobbins news and that’s no good. Anything else particularly standout good or bad? Box score shows obvious domination.
My takeaways:
1. We can win games with Huntley if he had to play. Not the whole season, but the ship doesn't sink.
2. We've got some pretty strong depth on defense that I think will really help us, especially in the front seven. I think we can rotate a lot of players and stay fresh.
3. Liked the way Warrior played, thought some of our "non starter" WRs played well (Duvernay and others).
4. Sean McVay and Matt Rhule are smiling somewhere seeing starters tear ACL's in useless preseason games.

I understand its the NFL and injuries happen. Guys tear muscles in non-contact injuries in camp. Its unavoidable.
Hits like the one Dobbins took last night, which will likely cost him the season, don't usually occur on the practice field. That's the argument against high-end players getting preseason reps.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Gus was RB1 when Lamar started. He'll be fine and he's gotten better each year. Hope Williams makes the most of this opportunity.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with Gus as lead back. People keep mentioning receiving elsewhere… all the times I’ve seen him in receiving opportunities he’s made clutch plays.

its not that he cant be involved in the passing game but he's never going to be featured on 3rd downs in that kind of way - although i will say he makes good use of his size as a pass protector

but ill reiterate that tyson williams has a massive opportunity here with his ability in pass pro especially if he's got any sort of wiggle as a receiver

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
its not that he cant be involved in the passing game but he's never going to be featured on 3rd downs in that kind of way - although i will say he makes good use of his size as a pass protector

but ill reiterate that tyson williams has a massive opportunity here with his ability in pass pro especially if he's got any sort of wiggle as a receiver

The only back I saw who struggled with pass catching in the preseason was Justice Hill with his juggling act of a catch against the Saints. Would’ve been an INT if someone was covering him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The only back I saw who struggled with pass catching in the preseason was Justice Hill with his juggling act of a catch against the Saints. Would’ve been an INT if someone was covering him

not to belabour a point but how often do we even see gus involved in plays like that...

justice juggled a ball slightly that stopped him from being able to convert - not saying it's a great play but hardly enough to completely bury him as a receiver

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
not to belabour a point but how often do we even see gus involved in plays like that...

justice juggled a ball slightly that stopped him from being able to convert - not saying it's a great play but hardly enough to completely bury him as a receiver

Gus made some dang good clutch pass plays last year. Would you be saying the same if someone was on Hill and Hill pulled a Perriman of bobbling it into the defenders hands?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Gus made some dang good clutch pass plays last year. Would you be saying the same if someone was on Hill and Hill pulled a Perriman of bobbling it into the defenders hands?

gus had 9 receptions the whole year and like 3/4 of his total yards came on like 3 of those catches (1 with a massive coverage bust, 1 where he was just in the flats and the other was a bizarre play - albeit a good catch) ... like again im not saying he cant catch but he's not going to be a significant factor for defences to game-plan around as a receiver

Simba

Staff Member
Not that it should be a surprise, but Ben Mason will be cut. He was supposed to have an appearance at the Maryland state fair today but cancelled because he’s not making the team.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not that it should be a surprise, but Ben Mason will be cut. He was supposed to have an appearance at the Maryland state fair today but cancelled because he’s not making the team.
Wasted opportunity.
btt: Do you know if Verity has a public appearance?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Probably crying to “momma Harbaugh” as he was her favorite player which is why the Ravens drafted him- go back and watch the presser

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yea why did we draft Ben again?

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I think The Ravens keep Justice Hill. He atleast gives them the speed that would be missing after losing JK Dobbins but if not then I guess they would need to try sign a veteran running back that has some speed and receiver ability.