• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't think Roman is as stubborn as Cam Cameron. Roman is probably the most creative offensive coordinator The Ravens have ever had.
This is true but he truly sucks at calling a passing game, he doesn’t have the feel for it, he doesn’t employ the right concepts vs zone, it felt like we began to last night and then a pick six and concussion happened smh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We all feel right now like OL is the biggest need, but I’m not convinced TCC isn’t gonna be a dude for us, I’m not sold he wouldn’t have been the better option last night and also long term.

now if a Landon Dickerson falls into our laps on day 2, pounce, Wyatt Davis with an injury could be a faller, Vera-tucker is extremely impressive athletically and neither of those 2 are natural centers but they could both be weapons in our line. But as far as making OL an absolute priority, id be more inclined to say OT is a bigger need, because I think last night Orlando brown pretty much signed his ticket out of Baltimore once his 4 years is up, he’s lazy and there’s no way around it, no hustle and no finish. If a Jackson carman is there on day 2 or rashawn slater in 1 then im really considering a trade scenario with Orlando brown, you just can’t be reserving starting jobs for guys who are giving a fraction of the effort of everyone else, it sets a very bad precedent and yes he filled in incredibly well at LT, but he’s our RT, and he can fetch us LT return, this is our first opportunity to get an absolute fucking haul in a trade, let’s do it instead of waiting for him to give half effort at RT and then get us a third round comp pick in 2 years

LSURavenFan

Veteran
I don't know who, I don't know how and I don't know what it will cost, what I do know though, the Ravens need a #1 WR.

Unless EDC is a phenomenal salesman, it would have to come via trade. Only way I see free agency being a viable option is an egregious overpay from the Ravens, no thanks. That's priority #1 for me. Just looking at some names and there's been prior interest, Thielen. That's one name with limited dead cap attached to it.

"Window to win" is a term I really like. The Ravens find themselves in a window to win, but it's not necessarily as wide open as it may seem. Their best players have/are about to get very expensive. I'm willing to dangle the #1 pick for a stud WR this year. It's one of the teams biggest needs and in a year or two, it becomes even harder to get a move like that done when the QB is making 35-40mill.

I also think they need to look at making some changes to the offence. The questions about the offence will linger again all offseason and they are fair. The Ravens threw 0 passing TD's in 2 playoff games.

I love that they built an offence around Lamar's skillset, credit to the Ravens. It's time to evolve though, Lamar is a capable of throwing it more, give him some more help and modify the scheme. That's not to say that I want them to abandon the running game they've built. They need to improve on passing, that's on LJ and it's also on coaching and the front office.

I think there should be a few options for a C/IOL on day 2.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s quite simple what we need: a WR who can catch a ball & get open, a TE who can reliably catch a ball, a C who can snap & sustain blocks, a swing tackle, edge defenders (I think Ngakoue, Bowser, McPhee are good enough just keep them), re-sign Wolfe, draft a slot CB as an option behind Young, try to upgrade at S because Elliott is hit or miss literally. Get a better OC because it looks like Roman lost the players’ trust, and get Lamar a QB coach to seriously work with him every day in the offseason no days off.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't know who, I don't know how and I don't know what it will cost, what I do know though, the Ravens need a #1 WR.

Unless EDC is a phenomenal salesman, it would have to come via trade. Only way I see free agency being a viable option is an egregious overpay from the Ravens, no thanks. That's priority #1 for me. Just looking at some names and there's been prior interest, Thielen. That's one name with limited dead cap attached to it.

"Window to win" is a term I really like. The Ravens find themselves in a window to win, but it's not necessarily as wide open as it may seem. Their best players have/are about to get very expensive. I'm willing to dangle the #1 pick for a stud WR this year. It's one of the teams biggest needs and in a year or two, it becomes even harder to get a move like that done when the QB is making 35-40mill.

I also think they need to look at making some changes to the offence. The questions about the offence will linger again all offseason and they are fair. The Ravens threw 0 passing TD's in 2 playoff games.

I love that they built an offence around Lamar's skillset, credit to the Ravens. It's time to evolve though, Lamar is a capable of throwing it more, give him some more help and modify the scheme. That's not to say that I want them to abandon the running game they've built. They need to improve on passing, that's on LJ and it's also on coaching and the front office.

I think there should be a few options for a C/IOL on day 2.

people are talking too much about #1 WR - we dont need a #1 WR we just need someone who's actually starting quality lol (or more than 1) at the moment we have only one wide receiver on the roster who's even remotely worthy of being a starter - if we can find a #1 then great but id settle for just adding 1 or 2 starter quality guys - that's how bad this WR corps is right now - that 1 or 2 above average guys would dramatically improve our corps

not going to turn down a #1 but dont think we need to obsess over the idea of a number 1 wideout

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
people are talking too much about #1 WR - we dont need a #1 WR we just need someone who's actually starting quality lol (or more than 1) at the moment we have only one wide receiver on the roster who's even remotely worthy of being a starter - if we can find a #1 then great but id settle for just adding 1 or 2 starter quality guys - that's how bad this WR corps is right now - that 1 or 2 above average guys would dramatically improve our corps

not going to turn down a #1 but dont think we need to obsess over the idea of a number 1 wideout
I can’t speak for others but by #1 I think people mean a Steve Smith Sr or Boldin or Torrey Smith. Essentially we’re looking for a dependable threat for defenses and right now we only have Brown who himself can be hot and cold.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can’t speak for others but by #1 I think people mean a Steve Smith Sr or Boldin or Torrey Smith. Essentially we’re looking for a dependable threat for defenses and right now we only have Brown who himself can be hot and cold.

As much as I hate it , I don’t think it’s worth the time or money to bring in a number one. Lamar lacks the arm strength/ accuracy to make all the throws . Well end up with a quality WR 1 frustrated catching 50 balls a year. We should focus on compiling an Elite defense and Solidifying the O line. Add a few compliments at TE and WR if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here are my points:
- Roman has got to go and so do other offensive coaches. We can't develop wide receivers and we can't use their respetive skillsets. Why do we draft WRs and don't give them playing time early in the season, so they actually have a chance to improve their game? You can't let them play sporadically and expect them to be reliable receivers. We have 3 coaches with an impressive résumé i.e. Roman, Culley and Urban. Yet our passing game is poor and lacks creativity and on top they can't coach up our wrs. Roman's run scheme is fantastic and his scripted game plan is good. But when it comes to off-script (situational and after the opposing DC adjusted his playcalls) he's a below-average OC. My prime example is when we go down the field and gain most of it on the ground, then all of a sudden he calls 3 straight pass plays. This goes even back to his 49er days. SB 47 marched down the field with ease but when 1st&goal with the game on the line: calls 3 straight pass plays. He crumbles when things don't go as he expects them to.

- EdC has to stop picking Harbaugh fav. guys on draft day. Tyre Phillips was a reach and terrible pick, but we only picked because of Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a great HC but not a scout.

- Our defense has always kept us in games when we struggled offensively. But in the near future we have a couple of players on offense whose contracts are up. Will we be able to remain competitive once we don't allocate as much money on defense?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Honestly, if you would have told me we were going to the divisional game without Ronnie, a makeshift offensive line, Snead, Boykin and Dez as your options opposite Hollywood and no Boyle before the season started, I would’ve laughed and said onto the 2021 offseason. Lots of changes to be made, but pretty dope to at least see us overcome all of that and COVID.
that is coaching and of of course the front office deserves credit as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It’s quite simple what we need: a WR who can catch a ball & get open, a TE who can reliably catch a ball, a C who can snap & sustain blocks, a swing tackle, edge defenders (I think Ngakoue, Bowser, McPhee are good enough just keep them), re-sign Wolfe, draft a slot CB as an option behind Young, try to upgrade at S because Elliott is hit or miss literally. Get a better OC because it looks like Roman lost the players’ trust, and get Lamar a QB coach to seriously work with him every day in the offseason no days off.
according to the CBA, coaches aren't able to work with players in the offseason. They can give them things to work on and then work with their private qb coaches, ie but can't work with them directly. Stupid rule if you ask me, especially for QBs development.

You don't sack the OC after 14-2 and 11-5. We're in a super bowl window, there's no need to hit the reset button because this team IS good enough - it's just that only 1 of 32 can win it all. If we want to win in the playoffs we need someone reliable at C and WR. That'll help us come away from the run game if teams sell out to stop it, and it should help prevent all these crazy negative plays.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
If the team can fix the pass offense like they fixed the run defense over the last offseason, I think we’ll have a lot to look forward to.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
according to the CBA, coaches aren't able to work with players in the offseason. They can give them things to work on and then work with their private qb coaches, ie but can't work with them directly. Stupid rule if you ask me, especially for QBs development.
Oh I know; I’m talking a QB coach like Harris or someone else. Lamar needs to take the next step. Find out who Allen worked with and kidnap them lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Oh I know; I’m talking a QB coach like Harris or someone else. Lamar needs to take the next step. Find out who Allen worked with and kidnap them lol
I'm pretty sure Allen worked with Carson Palmers younger brother, Jordan.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Kidnap him and the WR coach for the Steelers

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i really do wonder if not getting to work with coach harris properly in florida this offseason was a major issue for lamar's development

i know he said he spent the majority of the offseason working on outside throws and deep balls but idk that he took a step forwards there and i wonder if partly that's down to not having coach harris there to guide that offseason work like he did the 2019 offseason

the key mechanical things i think we need to see from him are about properly resetting his base when moved off his spot and not getting lazy with his arm angle when he's not actively having to avoid defenders

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kidnap him and the WR coach for the Steelers
Is it SIIE? Yeah, you guys should move to do that now. Forget Ngakoue or Clowney or whoever.
i really do wonder if not getting to work with coach harris properly in florida this offseason was a major issue for lamar's development

i know he said he spent the majority of the offseason working on outside throws and deep balls but idk that he took a step forwards there and i wonder if partly that's down to not having coach harris there to guide that offseason work like he did the 2019 offseason

the key mechanical things i think we need to see from him are about properly resetting his base when moved off his spot and not getting lazy with his arm angle when he's not actively having to avoid defenders
I’ve thought this all year that COVID screwed up his progress since he couldn’t work with Harris I assume. I also wonder if Harris will help him take the next step but he did great job last year so probably don’t need to replace him tbh

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is it SIIE? Yeah, you guys should move to do that now. Forget Ngakoue or Clowney or whoever.

I’ve thought this all year that COVID screwed up his progress since he couldn’t work with Harris I assume. I also wonder if Harris will help him take the next step but he did great job last year so probably don’t need to replace him tbh

i think because of covid, and i think harris has a family so decided he couldn't coach lamar this offseason

idk if that will still be an issue this offseason...