• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think after seeing deals like Buckner last year teams with cap space could be way more inclined to trade first rounders or some seconds for players like OBJ or in his situation. The old NFL advised everything against it
But from this perspective and I'm a chargers fan at 13-
You can either reach for Christian Darrisaw and hope (with probably what, a 25% chance) of him ever being a pro bowler, wait for him to develop and risk Herbert getting murdered, and hope he progresses and doesn't get injured constantly.
Or you could trade of OBJ, have a 24 year old 2 time pro bowler, know he is a leader, starts day 1 at left tackle, and never has had an injury issue.
I do really understand the traditional love for draft picks. But the league does evolve for a reason.

the problem is there's probably at least 3 tackles going in the top 15 - and they're all definitely not reaches lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
First round tackles have an absolute shit hit rate and the chargers have been HORRIBLE drafting OL for quite some time and haven’t had a quality LT in years and if ever a team should maybe consider ponying up for the sure thing, it’s the chargers right now, while their roster is strong and their year 2 franchise qb is on a cheap deal

the 2nd part of that makes it more realistic - they've sucked drafting OL - and that would be the only reason they'd make this call if they made it

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Simba

Staff Member

Love this. No guarantees that he makes the roster but provides adequate depth should Boyle not be 100%. Did really well as a blocker for us. Still think we’ll look for more of a receiving threat later in the draft but this will do for now.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Hollywood had a nice rookie year. By the numbers, he had an even better sophomore season. As multiple people have shown, there have been some tweets that have shown just how much separation and CPOE hes getting both in regular season and playoffs. He should continue to get better and our offseason hires should only help. We owe it to him and to ourselves to try and maximize his talent because the guy can actually be lethal. What can we do to help him? Is the answer just simply better pass protection?

Simba

Staff Member
Hollywood had a nice rookie year. By the numbers, he had an even better sophomore season. As multiple people have shown, there have been some tweets that have shown just how much separation and CPOE hes getting both in regular season and playoffs. He should continue to get better and our offseason hires should only help. We owe it to him and to ourselves to try and maximize his talent because the guy can actually be lethal. What can we do to help him? Is the answer just simply better pass protection?

Would have been real interesting to see what numbers he could have put up without that rough stretch around and after the Soulja tweet. He started strong and finished strong, especially in the playoffs

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Make him Earlier in the progression in the exact concepts he’s crushing coverage in, and yeah pass pro, and Lamar simply has to execute

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Would have been real interesting to see what numbers he could have put up without that rough stretch around and after the Soulja tweet. He started strong and finished strong, especially in the playoffs

Was thinking the same thing. If things go well, he could easily be a 1000 yard receiver next year.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Make him Earlier in the progression in the exact concepts he’s crushing coverage in, and yeah pass pro, and Lamar simply has to execute

Really hoping we can just do that. Especially if we can get more complementary pieces, maybe he can just do what he does best.

Simba

Staff Member
My updated thoughts on the Orlando Brown situation. If homie doesn't want to be here...

giphy.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My updated thoughts on the Orlando Brown situation. If homie doesn't want to be here...

giphy.gif
I don’t think it’s that serious, I think there’s nothing but respect from both sides, and if he’s traded I think he’s gonna see the grass isn’t greener, but I think he’s gonna at least force a few teams to make strong offers, whether they’re strong enough for Eric’s liking is yet to be seen

Simba

Staff Member
I don’t think it’s that serious, I think there’s nothing but respect from both sides, and if he’s traded I think he’s gonna see the grass isn’t greener, but I think he’s gonna at least force a few teams to make strong offers, whether they’re strong enough for Eric’s liking is yet to be seen

I just don't like that he's doing this publicly with no leverage and an outdated and quite frankly, dumb mindset. That's my thing. And if he doesn't wanna be here, bye.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

giphy.gif

haha - i like the "major haul" part of this lol - but idk - at least despite all this the relationship seems good between the ravens and orlando... and EDC's basically said we're not gonna stop you if you really want to go but the onus is on you to find us the deal that lets that happen

and if Orlando finds us a major haul then fine

Simba

Staff Member
haha - i like the "major haul" part of this lol - but idk - at least despite all this the relationship seems good between the ravens and orlando... and EDC's basically said we're not gonna stop you if you really want to go but the onus is on you to find us the deal that lets that happen

and if Orlando finds us a major haul then fine

Okay to be honest the thing that brought on the "bye Felicia" was him retweeting his reasons for wanting to play LT. I just don't like negotiating through the media. That's my thing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just don't like that he's doing this publicly with no leverage and an outdated and quite frankly, dumb mindset. That's my thing. And if he doesn't wanna be here, bye.

it is dumb albeit ive been reading about lane johnson and he apparently went through a lot of the same mentality stuff about being RT - was helped by the reminder that there's not really much difference anymore and that the best pass rushers are often rushing from his side

but also worth noting he's the best RT in the league but his contract would only be the 4th highest at LT

i guess orlando really took what his dad said to heart and doesn't care that the NFL has changed since then because his dad said it and he wants to honour that - which i completely understand - just a bit bizarre that this is only becoming an issue now - obviously idk orlando brown sr lol but got to think he'd be more happy that his son was playing in multiple pro bowls for the Ravens even at RT than being an LT just anywhere

but the prestige of that LT spot seems to be the 1 thing we can't give Orlando