• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

First of all, he had to have talked some shit, no other way that happens lmao.

second, I know it’s just a coach with a pad, but he didn’t lose speed, momentum, didn’t change trajectory in the slightest, that entire grown man was like someone threw a paper ball and it just bounced off of him

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Crowded WR room for the Ravens

Hollywood
Watkins
Bateman
Boykin
Duvernay
Wallace
Proche

Would seem to me that Proche is the player that is most in danger of losing his job. Sure-handed punt returner, if he's on the team it's as a special teamer.

Boykin is a good blocker, but they don't seem to like the idea of him playing TE. If he wasn't such a good blocker, I think he would be fighting for a job.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Hollywood
Watkins
Bateman
Boykin
Duvernay
Wallace
Proche

Would seem to me that Proche is the player that is most in danger of losing his job. Sure-handed punt returner, if he's on the team it's as a special teamer.

Boykin is a good blocker, but they don't seem to like the idea of him playing TE. If he wasn't such a good blocker, I think he would be fighting for a job.

i still think he's fighting for a job - being a good downfield blocker isn't enough to get you on the field unless the rest of the roster's a complete liability - sammy watkins is a good downfield blocker - signing sammy makes boykin pretty redundant

and now that we've drafted bateman and wallace too (wallace is also a good blocker) - i dont see why boykin makes it - he'd have to earn his way onto the special teams unit too - and he he offers something as a gunner but idk that he's more than a rotational option there

proche's going to have to find more than just a punt return job though, because duvernay snatched that from him last year so if he wants to contribute and not ride the inactives list every week he'll have to factor into the rest of the special teams unit

Simba

Staff Member

Hollywood
Watkins
Bateman
Boykin
Duvernay
Wallace
Proche

I think Boykin is in the most danger. It’s good that he blocks downfield but you aren’t going to put him on the field just to do that anymore. We’ve revamped that unit to where we should be a lot more 50/50. Running will still be the identity but you can’t mix looks when you put Boykin on the field and know he’s no threat as a pass catcher.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think Boykin is in the most danger. It’s good that he blocks downfield but you aren’t going to put him on the field just to do that anymore. We’ve revamped that unit to where we should be a lot more 50/50. Running will still be the identity but you can’t mix looks when you put Boykin on the field and know he’s no threat as a pass catcher.

Exactly. Well said. Here's my somewhat bold prediction. EDC is not afraid to cut the cord. Neither Boykin nor Ferguson make this team this year.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Hollywood
Watkins
Bateman
Boykin
Duvernay
Wallace
Proche

Not gonna lie... i like proche more than dunvervay..

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not gonna lie... i like proche more than dunvervay..

Duv is the returner and Boykin is the better blocker which makes them both have value whereas proche kinda is the odd man out. After all they are competing for WR4 so if all you are is a worse version of what will be on the field then why do they need you active on gameday?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
My money is on Boykin being #7th on the list. If we only keep 6 WR's I think Boykin is gone.

I also believe that. What doesn't make sense to me is, in a year where the receivers were actually trash, why didn't proche get his chance to stink up the joint? Or better yet.... maybe flash. I don't get it.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I feel like it's interesting there hasn't been more buzz about the receiver room. 2 things here, something I just thought of is that Lamar has literally never in college or the pros ever played with an elite group of receivers. This is the first time that guy will have an absolute unit of skill players to help him out. Watch out NFL.

Speaking of the NFL look at our roster vs the Chiefs NOW.

Lamar, Mahomes
Dobbins, CEH
Hollywood, Tyreek
Andrews, Kelce
Watkins, Cornell Powell???
Rashod Bateman, Demarcus Robinson???
Tylan Wallace, Mecole Hardman???
Devin Duvernay, Pringle

What will be somewhat comparable OLines.

Obviously the head to heads stop making sense after Andrews, but the point im making is our group looks stronger to me than there's. And if you disagree than you'd be crazy to say its a runaway in their favor. Its a bare minimum close.

And now before people go on the whole bUt mAhOmEs > lAmAr, see point 1. Lamar has actually never in his life been surrounded with talent. Look what he did with a semi achieving Willie Snead and Seth fucking Roberts during the MVP campaign.

Could be drinking the coolaid but I think you're gonna see that Lamar has the better 2021 season.

I feel like it's interesting there hasn't been more buzz about the receiver room. 2 things here, something I just thought of is that Lamar has literally never in college or the pros ever played with an elite group of receivers. This is the first time that guy will have an absolute unit of skill players to help him out. Watch out NFL.

Lamar, Mahomes
Dobbins, CEH
Hollywood, Tyreek
Andrews, Kelce
Devin Duvernay, Pringle

Obviously the head to heads stop making sense after Andrews, but the point im making is our group looks stronger to me than there's. And if you disagree than you'd be crazy to say its a runaway in their favor. Its a bare minimum close.

And now before people go on the whole bUt mAhOmEs > lAmAr, see point 1. Lamar has actually never in his life been surrounded with talent. Look what he did with a semi achieving Willie Snead and Seth fucking Roberts during the MVP campaign.

Could be drinking the coolaid but I think you're gonna see that Lamar has the better 2021 season.
Would love that but the head to head you're missing is Andy Reid >> Greg Roman.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also believe that. What doesn't make sense to me is, in a year where the receivers were actually trash, why didn't proche get his chance to stink up the joint? Or better yet.... maybe flash. I don't get it.

idk tbh - the one game where he had a couple of snaps i thought he did ok - his 1 reception was a nice route

the only thought i have is that he was the target on a lamar reception (but it looked like lamar's fault missing the LB rather than proche so idk)

i really wanted him to get some snaps just to see if he couldnt add some value to a stale and utterly uninspiring receiving corps

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Would love that but the head to head you're missing is Andy Reid >> Greg Roman.

While certainly true, I'm spearheading the I THINK (keyword think) I have been very wrong about Roman. Something I have taken for granted is that just like Lamar has never had premier skill positions around him, well Roman hasn't really either.

We got toasted in the playoff game against the titans and knew we needed to improve the passing game. That ended up only being the addition of Duvernay and Proche. Well guess what happened vs Buffalo, got hit in the trenches again and the WR corps were not able to get open. So the stacked box killed us again.

Well guess what, we're gonna round out RT, and now we have at bare minimum 3 guys who can beat man. Let's see what Roman can do when he has the players talented enough to beat the man accross from them.

Last note, I read from Romans answers in a presser a few days ago that he was implicitly saying our guys today are gonna be better at beating the stacked box than our guys of years past. And that was before adding Tylan. I have a lot of faith. Lamar and the guys are already working hard.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Lamar, Mahomes
Dobbins, CEH
Hollywood, Tyreek
Andrews, Kelce
Devin Duvernay, Pringle

to be fair to the chiefs - they've invested a ton in their OL at this point this offseason
Orlando - Thuney - Humphrey/Blythe - Duvernay-Tardiff/Long/Smith - Niang/Remmers

maybe they don't have 5 elite players but they've got a ton of depth at all the spots where they don't have entrenched starters...