• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
but i see no way that hollywood doesnt go after 5 if he wants it - i dont see the ravens stopping that from happening tbh
Why would they? Flacco is not Ray Lewis or Ed Reed or even Jo Ogden. They are HOFers and one has a statue. If Hollywood really wants #5, he'll get it.

Simba

Staff Member
I really don't get this numbers thing.

Another way to make money while also appeasing the teams. A few teams (us included) ran out of jersey numbers last year at certain positions, so they wanted to expand it so that isn't an issue going forward. Kinda dumb but probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Simba

Staff Member
I’ve seen Jeff allude to this multiple times and I thought we might see the same with a full off-season, so curious to see if it actually happens. Harrison probably won’t be a pass rusher on the edge, but could absolutely see him taking some of the SLB cover responsibilities in a rotation.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve seen Jeff allude to this multiple times and I thought we might see the same with a full off-season, so curious to see if it actually happens. Harrison probably won’t be a pass rusher on the edge, but could absolutely see him taking some of the SLB cover responsibilities in a rotation.

The tweet isn’t loading and the link is broken for me. Who’s this Harrison you’re talking about?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i dont like harrison on the edge - and you lose his best quality as a LB in the running game by taking him out of the middle of the defence where he's able to come downhill and fill

but jeff's absolutely right about the values of different positions on this defense - as he said in his article this week, it'll be interesting to see how highly the ravens actually value the EDGE position - a high pick at safety is definitely a possibility although i dont love any of them in the 1st round necessarily - if we took grant/moehrig at 27 i wouldnt be mad at all but id definitely have someone higher on my board

but it also suggests that maybe we could be looking for another SAM so that we can put 2 guys like that on the field at the same time just like we did last year with Bowser and Judon - the ability to drop or rush both those guys and line them up basically anywhere along the LoS was invaluable - would put someone like Ojulari high on our board in terms of fit if that was the case and I guess Tryon and Ossai would probably be fits too in that case and maybe even Roche or Hamilcar Rashed Jr or Shaka Toney (although he's probably too small)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jaylen Hill was a minicamp find, as well as a guy named Justin Tucker... although his circumstances were a little different.
Yeah but finding Kickers as UDFA's isn't exactly outside the norm. Most kickers in this league are either late round picks or UDFAs.

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah but finding Kickers as UDFA's isn't exactly outside the norm. Most kickers in this league are either late round picks or UDFAs.

Just saying that he might not have been on the roster had he not gotten an opportunity in rookie minicamps to tryout

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont like harrison on the edge - and you lose his best quality as a LB in the running game by taking him out of the middle of the defence where he's able to come downhill and fill

but jeff's absolutely right about the values of different positions on this defense - as he said in his article this week, it'll be interesting to see how highly the ravens actually value the EDGE position - a high pick at safety is definitely a possibility although i dont love any of them in the 1st round necessarily - if we took grant/moehrig at 27 i wouldnt be mad at all but id definitely have someone higher on my board

but it also suggests that maybe we could be looking for another SAM so that we can put 2 guys like that on the field at the same time just like we did last year with Bowser and Judon - the ability to drop or rush both those guys and line them up basically anywhere along the LoS was invaluable - would put someone like Ojulari high on our board in terms of fit if that was the case and I guess Tryon and Ossai would probably be fits too in that case and maybe even Roche or Hamilcar Rashed Jr or Shaka Toney (although he's probably too small)
I think it also brings in the possibility of what we've been discussing all year long, which is the addition of an early Safety to play on the back end more. That would allow them not only to rotate safeties and play different nickel/dime combos, but it also allows Clark to play in the box more, almost as a dime linebacker.

I did mention earlier in the offseason that I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the Ravens don't feel they have "enough" at inside linebacker, and may look to add in the draft. Queen's pretty close to a 3 down player, but Harrison and Fort certainly aren't. And I think, even in dime coverage, they'd like more in the box.

Would also allow Clark, Elliott, and Queen to rush more in 3rd down packages, which I think has to be a part of Wink's gameplan. He knows like we all do that we pretty much can't possibly have a pair of elite rushers, like a Dumervil/Suggs combo, who are going to get home a lot. Pressure is going to come a lot from schemes and blitzing. Adding another safety or maybe even a Corner (which you alluded to as a possibility) opens up a ton of schematic possibilities. Namely, you can put 4-5 guys in man coverage and bring everybody else, and still feel pretty good about your chances.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just saying that he might not have been on the roster had he not gotten an opportunity in rookie minicamps to tryout
Maybe. Impossible to know really. Hard to say what would or wouldn't happen without a single tryout.
He was brought in I believe with other kickers in an effort to push competition on Cundiff after the 2011 debacle. We obviously hit a home run there, but that's typically how teams do it. The Bears I think either last year or the year before had like 6 kickers or something on the offseason roster at one point, just seeing if anybody was worth a shit.

Simba

Staff Member
Maybe. Impossible to know really. Hard to say what would or wouldn't happen without a single tryout.
He was brought in I believe with other kickers in an effort to push competition on Cundiff after the 2011 debacle. We obviously hit a home run there, but that's typically how teams do it. The Bears I think either last year or the year before had like 6 kickers or something on the offseason roster at what point, just seeing if anybody was worth a shit.

I don't know what exactly you're arguing here. Just saying that some guys that typically would make it into a camp on a tryout basis and do something with that opportunity are not going to get it this year with the limitations.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know what exactly you're arguing here. Just saying that some guys that typically would make it into a camp on a tryout basis and do something with that opportunity are not going to get it this year with the limitations.
I think teams will "find their way around it". I.e. a kicker kicks on tape and coaches watch it.

I have no doubt that "organized team workouts" being not a thing doesn't mean coaches won't see players until July. NFL teams have been breaking rules, pushing boundaries, etc. with OTAs for decades. It's nothing new.

The only thing the NFLPA is doing is recommending that players don't do it (which they don't always listen) and giving the media a reason why so they don't look bad. These guys are working out together already, and coaches are frequently there. May not be Harbaugh or Belichick or a high profile guy, but they're aware of what's happening and they have eyes on things.

There's no scenario possible where an NFL franchise that is paying players millions of dollars is just going to let players do whatever they want from February through late July, and expect them to show up and be ready to go and at full speed 6 weeks later. They're not stupid.

Simba

Staff Member
I think teams will "find their way around it". I.e. a kicker kicks on tape and coaches watch it.

I have no doubt that "organized team workouts" being not a thing doesn't mean coaches won't see players until July. NFL teams have been breaking rules, pushing boundaries, etc. with OTAs for decades. It's nothing new.

The only thing the NFLPA is doing is recommending that players don't do it (which they don't always listen) and giving the media a reason why so they don't look bad. These guys are working out together already, and coaches are frequently there. May not be Harbaugh or Belichick or a high profile guy, but they're aware of what's happening and they have eyes on things.

There's no scenario possible where an NFL franchise that is paying players millions of dollars is just going to let players do whatever they want from February through late July, and expect them to show up and be ready to go and at full speed 6 weeks later. They're not stupid.

Okay but that's not what I'm saying at all. This is about the undrafted guys that would typically come into a camp on a tryout basis to try to make a 90 man roster, let alone the 53, not getting that opportunity for a 2nd straight year. That's literally it. There's no reason to debate this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think it also brings in the possibility of what we've been discussing all year long, which is the addition of an early Safety to play on the back end more. That would allow them not only to rotate safeties and play different nickel/dime combos, but it also allows Clark to play in the box more, almost as a dime linebacker.

I did mention earlier in the offseason that I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the Ravens don't feel they have "enough" at inside linebacker, and may look to add in the draft. Queen's pretty close to a 3 down player, but Harrison and Fort certainly aren't. And I think, even in dime coverage, they'd like more in the box.

Would also allow Clark, Elliott, and Queen to rush more in 3rd down packages, which I think has to be a part of Wink's gameplan. He knows like we all do that we pretty much can't possibly have a pair of elite rushers, like a Dumervil/Suggs combo, who are going to get home a lot. Pressure is going to come a lot from schemes and blitzing. Adding another safety or maybe even a Corner (which you alluded to as a possibility) opens up a ton of schematic possibilities. Namely, you can put 4-5 guys in man coverage and bring everybody else, and still feel pretty good about your chances.

this is a really good looking draft for coverage LBs that's for sure - but it seems to me like the deficit in the middle of the field coverage is in the deep rather than in the box - so unless we start playing a lot of tampa 2, that won't really help us lol - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is like a LB/S/nickel mix but he's a coverage matchup weapon more than someone who could consistently play a true deep safety role full-time... if i was building a defence from scratch without a defined scheme, he'd be one of the highest players on my board in this class - but the ravens won't be building around him in the way that other teams could

i think we'd be looking very specifically at a free safety type to allow elliott and clark to both play down closer to the LoS where their aggression, intelligence and disguise really come into play

at the moment jimmy smith is the guy pencilled in to play that deep dime safety role

there's 4 safeties i really like who i think can play that centre-fielder type role on the backend (with versatility to do other things too) and who would be good fits:
richie grant (range, instincts, iq, man coverage etc. etc. etc.)
trevon moehrig (fairly similar to grant - but i think grant's got a better feel in coverage right now and moehrig's fairly timid in run support)
Ardarius washington (awesome but tiny - but physical and plays with great instincts and could be a chess piece type weapon)
jamar johnson (could play free or split safety but not great in the running game)

im not sure id take any of them in the 1st - if i did though it would have to be grant

JAAM

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2 , I don't know if you missed this but Twitter can be ruthless especially when you say some dumb shit. Fuck his tweet, but the replies are spicy LMAO...

CC: Brother @JAAM

I seriously cannot stand Chiefs fans. They’ve taken the top spot on my most disliked list. Their obsession with us and especially Lamar is extremely odd

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Charles Snowden

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I seriously cannot stand Chiefs fans. They’ve taken the top spot on my most disliked list. Their obsession with us and especially Lamar is extremely odd

They're scared of us because they know that we're the only real threats to their "dynasty" in the AFC. They also seem to be really insecure about how good Mahomes really is because any time Lamar gets praise then they show up in droves to bad-mouth him and say how much "better" Mahomes is.