• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
because the index finger positioning isn't really to do with the wobble tbh - and while people consistently panic about the wobble in the offseason - how often do we see it as a problem in the regular season

only complaints i saw in 2020 about lamar's mechanics were about letting his shoulder drop too often when he had time
Yea its the index finger man.. its either that or his throwing motion along with the index finger. Im saying this because ive seen him stand still and throw wobbly passes. If youve thrown a football alot the legit only way your passes can consistently be wobbly is cause of your grip.. i could be wrong but i dnt think i am..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Completely agree. I’m just in love with the beauty of a tight spiral. So why do you think they come out wobbly then?

i think the rest of his hand can sometimes get a bit too high on the ball
lamar's finger's on the tip but it's not far off where mahomes or kyler or others have their fingers - lots of these younger QBs have less traditional hand grips on the ball where they're further up the ball with their index finger - which is actually probably what allows them to consistently make those off-schedule/weird arm angle type throws

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea its the index finger man.. its either that or his throwing motion along with the index finger. Im saying this because ive seen him stand still and throw wobbly passes. If youve thrown a football alot the legit only way your passes can consistently be wobbly is cause of your grip.. i could be wrong but i dnt think i am..

but his passes arent consistently super wobbly - we see it in practice videos each year but hardly see it at all in season

it would definitely be related to his grip but i dont think it's to do with the index finger - more to do with the rest of the grip getting too high on the ball

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
but his passes arent consistently super wobbly - we see it in practice videos each year but hardly see it at all in season

it would definitely be related to his grip but i dont think it's to do with the index finger - more to do with the rest of the grip getting too high on the ball
Yea last year we didnt see them as much. I think its mainly on them outside throws possibly?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean it doesnt look aesthetic but this is all overblown
pretty spirals do not, a good quarterback, make...

the ball got to the right spot on time - and there are plenty of throws on other clips that look absolutely fine - people panic every year when lamar gets to camp but wobble isn't inherently bad

and calling these throws ducks is a bit of a misnomer - it's not like the ball's flight is going weird because of the wobble... if the ball was hitting a wall in mid-air before it got to the receivers then it'd be an issue but it's not...

Spirals, do indeed, a simple catch for the receiver make

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea last year we didnt see them as much. I think its mainly on them outside throws possibly?

hard to say - i honestly dont remember seeing any though

and the only ball i can remember coming out of his hands wrong was the INT on the deep shot to boykin in the wildcard game against the titans and that didnt look to have anything to do with his index finger looked more like his footwork and core didn't engage properly and it just didn't get anywhere near spot it needed to get to

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Completely agree. I’m just in love with the beauty of a tight spiral. So why do you think they come out wobbly then?

So are receivers. Easier to catch. Fun fact: tight spirals also carry through the weather better too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So are receivers. Easier to catch. Fun fact: tight spirals also carry through the weather better too.

not sure that’s actually true
the physics suggests that some wobble actually helps stabilise a ball’s trajectory - I’m not talking as much wobble as we see from Lamar at times but a super tight spiral doesn’t actually move through the air as effectively as a ball with some wobble

and receivers catch weird balls arriving in weird spots and without spirals all the time - if a receiver needs the ball spiralled to him to catch it then he’s probably not a pro-receiver

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
not sure that’s actually true
the physics suggests that some wobble actually helps stabilise a ball’s trajectory - I’m not talking as much wobble as we see from Lamar at times but a super tight spiral doesn’t actually move through the air as effectively as a ball with some wobble

and receivers catch weird balls arriving in weird spots and without spirals all the time - if a receiver needs the ball spiralled to him to catch it then he’s probably not a pro-receiver

So wobbly passes are better in the wind than a ball that cuts straight through it? And I’m not saying an NFL Wr can’t catch them... I’m saying they love it more because it’s easier to catch

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So wobbly passes are better in the wind than a ball that cuts straight through it? And I’m not saying an NFL Wr can’t catch them... I’m saying they love it more because it’s easier to catch

There’s an optimal amount of wobble that can be measured - drew Brees was pretty close to perfectly balanced between spin and wobble

But in terms of its movement through the air, the biggest different between some wobble and no wobble is mostly aesthetic

as long as the ball is not dying in the air (which it hasn’t been) because the wobble’s got too big I have zero concerns about Lamar’s spiral

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
On one hand we have Flacco who threw a tight spiral, but did it make him a good and consistent qb? Hell no. On the other hand I'd love to see lamar changing his grip but at this point i just don't believe he will ever change it

rossihunter2

Staff Member

YES YES YES YES YES!!!
we wondered who/when the false step was fixed - they literally have tee mic'd up as he's coaching it out of rashod

and then i like seeing the details of him coaching rashod to attack the defenders and their leverage and take their space (which hurries up their timing) - seemed to be wanting him to be physical at the release there (which makes sense)... will be interesting if those teaching points are adjusted for hollywood and the others on the team (i assume they will be tailored to those individual guys)

had not seen or heard a ton of tee martin before (only really Dubb) so this is really exciting

rossihunter2

Staff Member
On one hand we have Flacco who threw a tight spiral, but did it make him a good and consistent qb? Hell no. On the other hand I'd love to see lamar changing his grip but at this point i just don't believe he will ever change it

i mean i think his grip might change (lamar's talked about his hand getting too high in the past) but i doubt that index finger moves at all and i honestly doubt that any QB coach tries to change that index finger

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Flacco did a shit ton better in bad weather games than Lamar.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

YES YES YES YES YES!!!
we wondered who/when the false step was fixed - they literally have tee mic'd up as he's coaching it out of rashod

and then i like seeing the details of him coaching rashod to attack the defenders and their leverage and take their space (which hurries up their timing) - seemed to be wanting him to be physical at the release there (which makes sense)... will be interesting if those teaching points are adjusted for hollywood and the others on the team (i assume they will be tailored to those individual guys)

had not seen or heard a ton of tee martin before (only really Dubb) so this is really exciting

Can you see Culley doing any of that? HELL NAH

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can you see Culley doing any of that? HELL NAH

idk maybe ive just got my WR coach hype spectacles on but i never got the sense that culley or engram before him were anywhere near as detail-oriented with route-running as tee and dubb

you can definitely see tee's QB past showing up too, you can see some of the details in the way he's teaching them that are about helping the QB with their route-running (creating space for the QB to throw into etc.) and i know he's talked about taking his WRs through the QB's reads and progressions to help them understand the play designs and their roles within the play (which is one of the things that lots of the assorted nfl media pundits picked up on but called poor play design - when in fact it was more likely receivers mis-reading the plays post-snap - im not saying there wasn't some predictable play design but lots of the plays that kurt warner and steve smith etc. picked up on looked like more receiver error/receiver teaching error than play design per se)

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
idk maybe ive just got my WR coach hype spectacles on but i never got the sense that culley or engram before him were anywhere near as detail-oriented with route-running as tee and dubb

you can definitely see tee's QB past showing up too, you can see some of the details in the way he's teaching them that are about helping the QB with their route-running (creating space for the QB to throw into etc.) and i know he's talked about taking his WRs through the QB's reads and progressions to help them understand the play designs and their roles within the play (which is one of the things that lots of the assorted nfl media pundits picked up on but called poor play design - when in fact it was more likely receivers mis-reading the plays post-snap - im not saying there wasn't some predictable play design but lots of the plays that kurt warner and steve smith etc. picked up on looked like more receiver error/receiver teaching error than play design per se)

Shit, you mean all the times the receivers ran in the same exact areas on the play, and when Snead blew up Boykin in the Chiefs game, were on the receivers and not mentally challenged level play calling from Roman??