• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 Post-Draft Discussion Thread

Which Day 3 Pick was your favourite?

• Total voters

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My guess is you all didn't read the intro. It doesn't seek to rank or grade draft classes- it seeks to say "we had this player ranked here and he got picked here, so we're ranking (and I use ranking loosely) based on the 'value' we had on our big board."

Given that Stephens was a practical unknown to most of the media, the Ravens got dinged, presumably very hard.

looks like they had him basically unranked - so yeah we got dinged hard on that one
it also says that they talk about how well a draft filled "needs" too so there's probably some subjective tinkering going on too

but yeah the intro makes it clear that it's a pretty meaningless exercise unless you think the CBS big board is somehow reputable - it even acknowledges that inherent meaninglessness - then does it anyway lol

also welcome back... long time no see

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some interesting draft related tidbits from zrebiec's latest in the athletic: https://theathletic.co.uk/2573901/2...essity-for-ravens-more-draft-and-roster-talk/

2. There have been multiple reports that the Ravens would have taken Alabama offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood at pick 27 had the Raiders not selected him at 17. That’s not my understanding of the situation. Per sources, the Ravens would have been intrigued if Virginia Tech tackle Christian Darrisaw was there at 27, but he was taken 23rd by the Minnesota Vikings. Otherwise, the Ravens weren’t targeting Leatherwood (even if he had been available) or any of the other offensive linemen with either the 27th or 31st pick and that includes Oklahoma State’s Teven Jenkins who dropped into the second round because of some health red flags. The Ravens were comfortable with the idea of signing veteran free agent Alejandro Villanueva to play right tackle after the draft and they didn’t want to reach on any of the other tackles who they didn’t give first-round grades.

3. Who else were the Ravens considering before taking Minnesota receiver Rashod Bateman at 27 and Oweh at 31? The team was also high on Miami outside linebacker Gregory Rousseau and TCU safety Trevon Moehrig. All indications are that the Ravens prioritized coming out of the first round with a pass rusher and they considered Rousseau and Oweh, who were similarly-graded players on their board, at 27. They ultimately decided on Bateman, believing that he would have been taken before they were on the clock again at 31, and rolling the dice that either Rousseau or Oweh would still be there. They gambled and won as the Buffalo Bills took Rousseau at 30, leaving them to snag Oweh.

Thank fuck the Bills were around to take Rousseau and save me from a meltdown...

4. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman said in a Zoom call after Day 1 of the draft that he never expected Bateman to be available when the Ravens were on the clock. That wasn’t just lip service. I’m told that was the consensus amongst team officials in the days leading up to the draft. They figured Bateman would be gone and the top-ranked receiver on their board, when they were prepared to make a pick at No. 27, would be Ole Miss WR Elijah Moore. Moore was taken with the second pick of the second round by the New York Jets.