• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 Post-Draft Discussion Thread

Which Day 3 Pick was your favourite?

• Total voters

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
did you watch the indiana tape?
and i've seen reps (i wish i could still find the individual clips but i cant remember where i first found them) of him running through and over guys...

obviously he's about as raw as they come (in pass rush terms) but you arent getting a prospect with his athleticism at 31 if he has lots of polish already...

and i think we're bringing in houston too
he definitely shows he can run through guys and he is at least cognizant of working hands consistently. ( though he is wildly inaccurate with them) does work inside so there are things to work with or at least that are a good start. He also has to be able to outside half a tackle and threaten to win outside. He just has to. If he can be better there, the ability to turn in and drive will be huge and will increase his wins inside.

He still shows no consistent burst and is frequently the last guy off the ball. I do like that he isn't pushed around and I am pretty convinced about his setting the edge well after a bit. still very raw so far as play recognition vs. run though.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
he definitely shows he can run through guys and he is at least cognizant of working hands consistently. ( though he is wildly inaccurate with them) does work inside so there are things to work with or at least that are a good start. He also has to be able to outside half a tackle and threaten to win outside. He just has to. If he can be better there, the ability to turn in and drive will be huge and will increase his wins inside.

He still shows no consistent burst and is frequently the last guy off the ball. I do like that he isn't pushed around and I am pretty convinced about his setting the edge well after a bit. still very raw so far as play recognition vs. run though.

I wonder if you can’t solve his get off problem by taking his hand out of the dirt and having him stand up

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think it's more that he'll be coming for Boyle's job. He's really athletic so it's probably best to let him compete for TE 2 (whole primarily blocks and is a check down option) after a year.

I don’t think athleticism means he should be coming for Boyle. Boyle’s amazing at what he does - best in the league and I’m not sure he’s replaceable with a former FB who doesn’t have anything like the same length that Boyle has too.

I think it’s more likely what others have said that he’s competing for the TE3/h-back role this year with an eye to maybe taking over from pat next year

rossihunter2

Staff Member

He’s definitely got burst and outside threat he’s just late off the ball a lot as you said and also gets upright in his stance too early - but you see him threaten outside

I think with Oweh, I find it hard to imagine that he won’t get markedly better this offseason (and through the season) just from the coaching he’s gonna get

but I’m seeing what you see with his hands - he’s trying but it’s so imprecise - consistently missing his aiming points (or just aiming in the wrong place) - I like how intuitive he is with his hands at the top of the rush (where it’s probably just an instinct) but hands do need a ton of work

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do think that will help - seems like a lot of his initial burst moves him upright rather than upfield and if he’s stood up already then it could help

It’s almost like he’s scared of getting an offsides penalty

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s almost like he’s scared of getting an offsides penalty

idk - I’ve seen it with other rawer guys where they get stuck in their stance or mistime their reaction

but also I did see him get a couple of offsides where he went early so you could be right

I think one of the first things they’ll do with him - whether it’s with his hand in the ground or stood up - is force him to be more efficient with that initial explosion and get him moving forwards rather than upwards

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is probably gonna get some backlash, but I think the safest pick the Ravens made was Ben Cleveland. Like for our team right here and right now, I think that he's got the best chance to come in and be dominant day 1. He should plug in between 2 great players and start mauling. Also, our team has demonstrated an ability to coach up lineman. Idk, I think that guy is gonna be a fan favorite

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So oweh getting compared to hunter cause of sack total? hunter got drafted in rnd 5 and jpp only started one year

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Day 3, the Ravens picked a slot corner who may have been a second round pick a year earlier. Shaun Wade ran into a hornet’s nest during Ohio State’s 2020 season. He was moved to an outside corner position where he struggled. When asked to explain the noticeable decline in play, Wade shared this:

“I just tell them COVID happened, injury happened, surgery happened, knee problem happened, toe happened, family situation happened — so, yeah, I was going through a lot of things,” Wade said. “Games counted and the season counted, happened, so it’s a part of the process. God works in mysterious ways, so I just try to take it day by day and leave it in His hands.”

With Wade, the Ravens selected a player with a high ceiling given his 5th round draft status. They’ll get a player with solid measurables and a chip on his shoulder to prove the naysayers wrong. Wade gives the Ravens slot insurance in the event of an injury to the oft-nicked up Tavon Young.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s definitely got burst and outside threat he’s just late off the ball a lot as you said and also gets upright in his stance too early - but you see him threaten outside

I think with Oweh, I find it hard to imagine that he won’t get markedly better this offseason (and through the season) just from the coaching he’s gonna get

but I’m seeing what you see with his hands - he’s trying but it’s so imprecise - consistently missing his aiming points (or just aiming in the wrong place) - I like how intuitive he is with his hands at the top of the rush (where it’s probably just an instinct) but hands do need a ton of work
Even when he gets off well enough he tends straight and is not consistently attacking half the man outside. He just won't win outside in the NFL that way. He doesn't seem to know what to do at the top. He isn't using (in the tape I've seen), his length to attach and rip. Its been said, of course but he is raw. I mentioned this elsewhere but a wider runway from a 9tech might benefit him. He has a decent jab step and I love that he at least realizes he needs to swipe hands. You know Wink is going to twist him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Even when he gets off well enough he tends straight and is not consistently attacking half the man outside. He just won't win outside in the NFL that way. He doesn't seem to know what to do at the top. He isn't using (in the tape I've seen), his length to attach and rip. Its been said, of course but he is raw. I mentioned this elsewhere but a wider runway from a 9tech might benefit him. He has a decent jab step and I love that he at least realizes he needs to swipe hands. You know Wink is going to twist him.

100% he's gonna be used on stunts all the time - maybe not even always to get him free - might just be used as the force player and told to just crash down and create carnage inside for a looping madubuike or someone like that...