• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Edgar four round rough mock(mix)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I thought the, " he'll be gone before we pick" critique was reserved for post Christmas mocks as a courtesy. Haha

not when the AFC is such a mess of bad teams - there's likely to be about 15-16 teams picking ahead of us even if we only win a couple more games

i think we'd currently be picking 19 (if we werent the projected 6th seed) and if we lose out i reckon the earliest we pick is gonna be about 12 (if we lose out which would be incredibly difficult given our easy schedule)

just think 5-11 2 years ago got us the 6th pick
5-11 this year might be outside the top 10 this year (depending on tiebreakers etc.)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean if he fell in our lap id have to think real hard about it depending on who else was on the board
but if im giving up more than one of our 3rd round picks then im not gonna be happy about potentially moving up to get him
Really? I get not wanting to trade picks(even though it can be worth it and moves can be made to garner some of those back), but I don't understand thinking very long about drafting a quarterback you're partial to if he's there given our situation?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really? I get not wanting to trade picks(even though it can be worth it and moves can be made to garner some of those back), but I don't understand thinking very long about drafting a quarterback you're partial to if he's there given our situation?

its because im not sold on qb being the positional boon you think - at this point id be taking a BPA approach still and if that's josh allen then cool but if there's a better player at another position then this year im taking them over allen

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really like this draft. I think Allen could be there in the late teens or early 20's with such the strong draft it is for QBs. It might be best if he doesn't compete at the combine. I'd be ok with sitting him for 2 yrs also since imo he's still rough around the edges but man does he have all the traits.

Miller I believe could be gone. Lot of hype about him.

I like the idea of a TE in the 3rd since Watson will retire and I believe Boyle and Maxx will be entering their final year on their rookie contracts.

I like Big 10 linemen and Dieter is a nice sized center and Jewell I think we'd be lucky to get in the 4th.

Nice draft if all players fall in these slots.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really like this draft. I think Allen could be there in the late teens or early 20's with such the strong draft it is for QBs. It might be best if he doesn't compete at the combine. I'd be ok with sitting him for 2 yrs also since imo he's still rough around the edges but man does he have all the traits.

Miller I believe could be gone. Lot of hype about him.

I like the idea of a TE in the 3rd since Watson will retire and I believe Boyle and Maxx will be entering their final year on their rookie contracts.

I like Big 10 linemen and Dieter is a nice sized center and Jewell I think we'd be lucky to get in the 4th.

Nice draft if all players fall in these slots.

I’ll be real - if pat mahomes goes at number 10 and desean Watson at 12 and trubisky at 2 then I don’t see how Allen goes lower than Watson did (especially given how well the Watson pick turned out pre-injury) especially in a weaker draft class

There’s a lot of qb needy teams who will be picking high and only 3 qbs worthy of high picks (1 might not even declare) - no way Allen makes it past the 12th pick - tbh he almost certainly goes top 10

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ll be real - if pat mahomes goes at number 10 and desean Watson at 12 and trubisky at 2 then I don’t see how Allen goes lower than Watson did (especially given how well the Watson pick turned out pre-injury) especially in a weaker draft class

There’s a lot of qb needy teams who will be picking high and only 3 qbs worthy of high picks (1 might not even declare) - no way Allen makes it past the 12th pick - tbh he almost certainly goes top 10

That would be a shame since I think he should sit a year. I've watched a couple games where Wyoming didn't fare too well and he just looked inaccurate. This kid needs some time and with us it would be the perfect situation with not a lot of pressure.............well maybe from this forum.

You don't think Lamar Jackson or Mayfield will leapfrog in front of him. I'm assuming Rosen and Darnold are the other 2 you are talking about.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
That would be a shame since I think he should sit a year. I've watched a couple games where Wyoming didn't fare too well and he just looked inaccurate. This kid needs some time and with us it would be the perfect situation with not a lot of pressure.............well maybe from this forum.

You don't think Lamar Jackson or Mayfield will leapfrog in front of him. I'm assuming Rosen and Darnold are the other 2 you are talking about.
Mayfield, maybe a team falls in love with him especially if he has great interviews. But I don't see Lamar as a top20 prospect. I don't see a GM say "I'll bet my carreer on this guy and make him my franchise QB". He's too wild, too unpredictible as a prospect.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

in my opinion lamar jackson isnt a viable nfl passer or at least from what ive seen so far he certainly doesnt garner 1st round consideration, mayfield might sneak into the 1st round and is the only one who could get close to that kind of consideration - but in all honesty mayfield's a 2nd rounder (maybe 3rd round even although he's getting picked in the 2nd round)

rosen and darnold are the other two

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
This franchise once traded a future first round pick for Kyle Boller.
We need a quarterback.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't like the argument of needing pieces around your rookie quarterback before starting them.

Quality rookie quarterbacks starting is such a rarity in the NFL and I would much rather them come in and sit behind an established quarterback before playing (Rivers, Rodgers) than throwing them into the fire.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I don't like the argument of needing pieces around your rookie quarterback before starting them.

Quality rookie quarterbacks starting is such a rarity in the NFL and I would much rather them come in and sit behind an established quarterback before playing (Rivers, Rodgers) than throwing them into the fire.
I disagree with you. I think we saw last year with Goff and Dak how production is impacted by the supporting casts and the plans you hzve for your rookie QB. Of course if you can make them sit it's better, but anyhow you have to put a solid surrounding cast around them (which holds true for any QB, not just rookie, but if you want your rookie to progress you better put him in a favourable situation).

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I disagree with you. I think we saw last year with Goff and Dak how production is impacted by the supporting casts and the plans you hzve for your rookie QB. Of course if you can make them sit it's better, but anyhow you have to put a solid surrounding cast around them (which holds true for any QB, not just rookie, but if you want your rookie to progress you better put him in a favourable situation).
We've been through Goff a few times already. I think your view is way too short sighted.

And Dak wasn't asked to be nearly what Goff or Wentz were. I still don't think he was that great. I think he was essentially RGIII in his rookie year.

But I'm not advocating for drafting a quarterback and then doing nothing for him. I'm advocating for drafting a quarterback, figuring out what he's good at and letting him sit to learn, and building around him during that time period.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
And what I mean is, what if Teddy Bridgewater is your top ranked player. Do you draft him to this current team knowing he cannot make use of your deep ball receivers?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
We've been through Goff a few times already. I think your view is way too short sighted.

And Dak wasn't asked to be nearly what Goff or Wentz were. I still don't think he was that great. I think he was essentially RGIII in his rookie year.

But I'm not advocating for drafting a quarterback and then doing nothing for him. I'm advocating for drafting a quarterback, figuring out what he's good at and letting him sit to learn, and building around him during that time period.
Oh, then I probably didn't understand your first statement.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Oh, then I probably didn't understand your first statement.
It isn't as simple for me as saying he didn't have a great OC or a great supporting cast. Goff had a lot of his own issues in year one that he really corrected in year two.

He was in a spread offense in college that never asked him to huddle or play under center. He didn't make good reads or work through his progressions. He held the ball too long and didn't drive through his passes. He got happy feet too often and that led to erratic passes.

Much like the Ravens this year, a better supporting cast wouldn't fix that. Goff had to learn to play in the NFL. It's a really big jump that he wasn't prepared for and it showed.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It isn't as simple for me as saying he didn't have a great OC or a great supporting cast. Goff had a lot of his own issues in year one that he really corrected in year two.

He was in a spread offense in college that never asked him to huddle or play under center. He didn't make good reads or work through his progressions. He held the ball too long and didn't drive through his passes. He got happy feet too often and that led to erratic passes.

Much like the Ravens this year, a better supporting cast wouldn't fix that. Goff had to learn to play in the NFL. It's a really big jump that he wasn't prepared for and it showed.
The only game I watched of him last year really was against the Seahawks and despite the offense not doing anything I thought he did what he could and played pretty well. His OL just didn't give him time to settle, there was no running game for the defense to respect and his receivers dropped half a dozen of passes in the game.

If you're referring to my posts in the Joe Flacco thread, I'm not defending his play, but whatever people want to hope for he'll still be there next year and probably the year after that. It is what it is. He isn't a good QB and hasn't been since his playoff run. But there has been a guy named Gary Kubiak who has unveiled a very simple way to maximize his qualities and minimize his flaws. Flacco is a very rigid QB. He can't work in a system that isn't designed for everyone. He can work only in a Play Action, Bootleg based offense. On the rare occasions we've run this type of plays we've seen (at least I did) a very clear difference.
I'll stop there as it is off subject.