• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Are you happy with our defense?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Webb at slot corner is unnecessary and hurts us, if you want 2 safeties plus a moneybacker then Webb and Jefferson can take turns, Webb can be absolutely brilliant on db blitzes and sniffing out screens and is still a good safety, and Jefferson is best suited for box plays and also blitzes well, but Webb as a full time slot corner is just creating a liability on your defense and I don't get it, with canady and hill back, we need them to play the slot.

Peanut has had a knack for making plays but also has a knack for missing them, bowser needs to be rotated with him and really bowser needs a starters snap count, he is the kinda guy you send to do every task possible because he's a versatile athletic freak and the fact that he's getting no snaps helps explain why you feel unsure of the defense, you feel unsure because it's fucking stupidly managed.

Stop letting ZDS pass rush in such heavy doses, he can't stay on his fucking feet and never could, give those snaps to tim Williams and stop forcing him to set the edge ffs

i think the coaching staff might have finally realised it too - after the first couple of drives i noticed maurice canady out there a lot more often than webby (although canady did still get beat a couple of times) and i really like the idea of canady/webby in the dime given their versatility with webb now being a safety who can dabble at slot and maurice being a corner with safety-like attributes

peanut's been ok but my rationale is that if peanut's on the field we might as well go to dime and replace him with levine because while he's aggressive he's not a physical run stuffer and levine is better in coverage - levine has been incredible this year and any excuse to get us into dime before 3rd down sounds like a good idea to me given how successful that coverage has been

i could understand ZDS being in on 3rd downs and pass rushing if there was some thought that they could run and he was on the edge but so often he's lined up in the middle which means he's not really there to run stuff anyway and is just there to rush up the middle - he does get penetration but penetration is only good if you can actually pressure the qb which he doesnt because he can be sidestepped so easily or he just falls over as soon as he has to change direction - id like to see timmy get fewer snaps on 1st down unless a team is obviously gonna have to pass and stop bringing him off the field on 3rd down (this is the one that kills me when they put him on the field on 1st and 2nd down and we get the opposing offence into 3rd and medium/long and then timmy is taken off the field which makes no sense to me) - here are the snap counts of importance: ZDS: 34; timmy: 14; bowser: 4...

the bowser snap count kills me because i noticed him on defence once and i thought he'd just disappeared but no he literally wasnt on the field at all really - on that one snap i noticed he had a great stunt in behind willie henry's bull rush that collapsed the pocket on all sides around savage and forced him to make an errant throw - this was early enough in the game that i would have expected more snaps for tyus but nope... he only had 3 other snaps on defence

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Think about what this defense can do if they had an offense that could finish drives? We got 6 wins off of our defense off of three shut outs. This defense is very legit but they most of all need to see the field less.

I will this this though, last year, our offense in the final five weeks of the season improved and we were able to finish drives, and score points. I think I remember some in our own media saying that the defense was just as liable as the offense in the final weeks of the season for how things turned out, now that's not true but the offense certainly got better and that was at week 13. Outside of that horrid performance against Cincinnati they looked like a middle of the pack offense. That's just what you have to hope here. It's never too late but I have zero confidence in it.
Nope. Pees makes nobodies like Hopkins and ODB look amazing. Fire him on the spot rn! Find him guilty of treason. Impeach his ass faster than Nixon

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am very happy with our defense when they play well without bending or breaking a whole lot. The truth however is that I don't know what defense is going to show up on any given Sunday. The offense consistently trends from stenchy horrendous to just bad on a good day. The defense also trends from absolutely superlative (shut outs, etc.) to lackadaisical and leaky (when they give up 40+ points to Jags and lose to the Bears). So it is difficult to predict or give a happiness index for our defense game in and game out moving forward. Generally happy but could become ecstatic with some consistency.

As for the offense, Joe Flacco is doing worse than Eli did this season ( Eli is benched). Nothing more needs to be said.

The saving grace however, is our special teams play. They're good game in and game out. Between punting, coverage, kick offs, coverage and FG kicking we have no weaknesses. Therefore, if the defense and ST show up over the next 5 games, we could do very well and make the playoffs. But, once there unless the offense improves we lose in the WC game.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am very happy with our defense when they play well without bending or breaking a whole lot. The truth however is that I don't know what defense is going to show up on any given Sunday. The offense consistently trends from stenchy horrendous to just bad on a good day. The defense also trends from absolutely superlative (shut outs, etc.) to lackadaisical and leaky (when they give up 40+ points to Jags and lose to the Bears). So it is difficult to predict or give a happiness index for our defense game in and game out moving forward. Generally happy but could become ecstatic with some consistency.

As for the offense, Joe Flacco is doing worse than Eli did this season ( Eli is benched). Nothing more needs to be said.

The saving grace however, is our special teams play. They're good game in and game out. Between punting, coverage, kick offs, coverage and FG kicking we have no weaknesses. Therefore, if the defense and ST show up over the next 5 games, we could do very well and make the playoffs. But, once there unless the offense improves we lose in the WC game.

Sure theres stuff to be said. We're 6-5. They're 2-9.

As for the defense. So far so good.

Nope. Pees makes nobodies like Hopkins and ODB look amazing. Fire him on the spot rn! Find him guilty of treason. Impeach his ass faster than Nixon
Lol, I will critizise Pees for putting Jimmy on an island on Hopkins. Hopkins is probably the most physical WR in the league and the thing about it is you can't play him the way that he plays DBs or you will get flagged for it. You can't press Hopkins so you have to play him off and that's a challenge for anyone.

We saw Jimmy play extremely well against OBJ, AB, and AJ because he can get physical with them and press, Hopkins is a guy you just can't do that too. I honestly think it's disrespectful to press Hopkins on cover zero.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lol, I will critizise Pees for putting Jimmy on an island on Hopkins. Hopkins is probably the most physical WR in the league and the thing about it is you can't play him the way that he plays DBs or you will get flagged for it. You can't press Hopkins so you have to play him off and that's a challenge for anyone.

We saw Jimmy play extremely well against OBJ, AB, and AJ because he can get physical with them and press, Hopkins is a guy you just can't do that too. I honestly think it's disrespectful to press Hopkins on cover zero.
Hopkins is fast also. Crazy acceleration

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
What is Carl Davis doing playing b4 Henry?? Davis is solid. Henry looks like he could be adynamic interior rusher in the making. He is getting better and a force rushing the qb. With reps he looks to become one of better interior rushers around the league with potential to be very special. So what is Davis doing b4 him??

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am happy with the defense, almost all of our key players are young and have yet to hit their primes

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What is Carl Davis doing playing b4 Henry?? Davis is solid. Henry looks like he could be adynamic interior rusher in the making. He is getting better and a force rushing the qb. With reps he looks to become one of better interior rushers around the league with potential to be very special. So what is Davis doing b4 him??

Davis is only the starter in name because he plays on first downs - Henry has been the leader in snaps on the dline for weeks now and had 28 snaps more than Davis did (Henry had more snaps by a larger margin than the number of snaps Davis actually played)

Of the complaints I have, henry’s use really isn’t one of them

My only question is why he isn’t listed in stead of Davis in pro bowl voting

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Davis is only the starter in name because he plays on first downs - Henry has been the leader in snaps on the dline for weeks now and had 28 snaps more than Davis did (Henry had more snaps by a larger margin than the number of snaps Davis actually played)

Of the complaints I have, henry’s use really isn’t one of them

My only question is why he isn’t listed in stead of Davis in pro bowl voting
That really is pretty dumb. But I’ll say it again, the nfl should get their had our of their ass