• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Injury Thread (2017 Season)

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
The Chargers may have caught a break. Apparently multiple sources are now stating that the surgery was initially considered but is now off the table with Williams improving. In a general sense, it's not the best sign that it's affected him to such an extent, and it's concerning that one source states that he masked his injury during the Combine and pro day, but the most recent reports are encouraging. I hope he's able to see the field this season.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Besides us, no other team has been bitten by the injury bug more than the Chargers in recent years. Don't they have Keenan Allen returning from a season ending injury from last year? I've always wondered why with the way the QB market is now a days, why they never traded Rivers and get a first round pick and multiple picks back in return. I'm sure the way the QB market is, they could get 2 first rounders and more from a team desperate enough for a QB.
I'm pretty sure Rivers has little desire to play for the Chargers anymore after moving to LA.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Besides us, no other team has been bitten by the injury bug more than the Chargers in recent years. Don't they have Keenan Allen returning from a season ending injury from last year? I've always wondered why with the way the QB market is now a days, why they never traded Rivers and get a first round pick and multiple picks back in return. I'm sure the way the QB market is, they could get 2 first rounders and more from a team desperate enough for a QB.

because to be fair to them, if they stop being injured so much they'd be a contender - why would they jettison their great starting qb when they could potentially be a great team - i think if its possible they are in fact even more snake bitten than us - if they have full health then the weakest part of their team is oline which they just added forest lamp and dan feeney to - tight end they have 2 strong starters including the two tight ends with the most tds in the league last year, if healthy they'd have travis benjamin as their 4th wr and maybe 6th option at receiver overall, melvin gordon looked good last year, they have a franchise qb, they have maybe the best pass rush duo in the league and just switched to a 4-3 defence that should help joey bosa even more (not that he needs any), denzel perryman and jatavis brown are a decent linebacker corps and they have some good outside corners - if they avoid catastrophic injuries then id say they are absolutely contenders in the AFC West and most definitely an intriguing team

unfortunately for them they have had worse injury luck than us and now they are moving city they arent exactly encouraging good karma

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Don't forget the Woodhead injuries in back to back seasons.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Has anyone seen the CTE study that just came out? It makes for some pretty sobering reading (especially this NYT article, which shows the graphics of the players' brain scans).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?mcubz=0

Out of 111 deceased NFL players who were examined (including Tyler Sash, who played S for the Giants in the Super Bowl in 2011), 110 had suffered from CTE. As much as people complain about the "pansification" of the league, I think the NFL's going to need those player safety rules if it wants to survive in the long run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Has anyone seen the CTE study that just came out? It makes for some pretty sobering reading (especially this NYT article, which shows the graphics of the players' brain scans).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?mcubz=0

Out of 111 deceased NFL players who were examined (including Tyler Sash, who played S for the Giants in the Super Bowl in 2011), 110 had suffered from CTE. As much as people complain about the "pansification" of the league, I think the NFL's going to need those player safety rules if it wants to survive in the long run.

it will be interesting to see if the concussion protocol stuff etc. and illegal contact with the head stuff actually makes a difference or whether its all just treading water

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
the pay needs to start matching the risks

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Chargers may have caught a break. Apparently multiple sources are now stating that the surgery was initially considered but is now off the table with Williams improving. In a general sense, it's not the best sign that it's affected him to such an extent, and it's concerning that one source states that he masked his injury during the Combine and pro day, but the most recent reports are encouraging. I hope he's able to see the field this season.

Now an update has come in from HC Anthony Lynn. Lynn now says Williams is out for the entire season.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Now an update has come in from HC Anthony Lynn. Lynn now says Williams is out for the entire season.
Possibly, but I feel like the entire quote was much more ambiguous. Lynn stated, "I'm hopeful that it's not [season ending], but who knows? It could be. I don't know." Still troubling, but it doesn't sound definitive.

Sad about Williams. Can you imagine though if he dropped in the draft or if we traded up a few slots to grab him and this happened to us? Wow, our fan base would be in revolt. Yet another failed early WR draft ... and somehow, it would have all been our fault ... people would have been calling for everyone's head to roll.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Bengals FS George lloyka is out 3-4 weeks with a sprained knee. He should be fine for our week 1 game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sterling Shephard was carted off the field today. Luckily he was diagnosed with a low ankle sprain.