• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Your thoughts on Blount as a Raven

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
If they're planning on keeping Woodhead then no. West, Woodhead, Dixon, and Blount? Though, I do like his style. It's basically getting another defender, but for the offensive side. Lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Has there been any report on him in the locker room? With the weed suspensions and his history I feel like he's a cancer. But people grow up. If he's still the same guy who slugged an opponent because he was bitter about losing then no. But if he is just a hard nosed gritty guy with an edge, then yeah I'd take him for sure.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Has there been any report on him in the locker room? With the weed suspensions and his history I feel like he's a cancer. But people grow up. If he's still the same guy who slugged an opponent because he was bitter about losing then no. But if he is just a hard nosed gritty guy with an edge, then yeah I'd take him for sure.
Didn't he leave a steelers game because he wasn't getting enough playing time?

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I would like to have him as he can pick up the tough yards and I love those smash mouth RB's, however I think we have a few bigger needs that we could use that cap space on, like maybe Mangold or Dunlap to help our OL.

Tiz

Practice Squad
No because of how he was as a steeler. Hate them due to the rivalry but nothing about that franchise suggests a rb should just pack it up and give up on them.

Also think he was a bad influence on Bell. Iirc, he was with him when bell has the dui/weed issue. Bell has matured since then, hope Blount has too but still don't think of him as a positive addition to the rb group.

Deangelo Williams isn't signed yet. He's a guy who gives his all and would be good for the early season while we are a rb short.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I believe he's visited at least the Lions and possibly the Giants as well and didn't get a contract from either of those running back needy teams. Between them and the Patriots, you have to wonder about the locker room but more so how much money he is looking for. I think what little cap space we have left is better spent elsewhere.

On another note, does anyone know how much cap space we currently have?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I'd like Blount. He wouldn't be a feature back here. He would probably start, but him and West should share about the same touches, and Blount would come in to grind the defense down if we're up in the 4th quarter and take some time off of the clock. Woodhead is strictly a receiving threat in my opinion and there's no telling what kind of shape Dixon will be in after he serves his suspension.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
He would be a decent addition for our short term run game, but contains so many problems I would hate it. He is an unnecessary luxury, especially with our holes in the line and WR still. I have faith in West and Dixon in the run game, anyone who remembers week 16 knows what Dixon can do. In addition, our team is full of young players and we do not need his personal and weed problems here. A guy like Boldin or Mangold would be a much, much better addition.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
By signing Blount it'd mean some serious snaps being taken away from Dixon though wouldn't it? I'm not in favour of that happening. I think other areas on the offense need to be improved first before we bring in another running back.

bMore Heathen

Practice Squad
Somebody should change the title of this thread to "the possibility of Blount as a Raven" or something. I almost had a heart attack when I read the title.

And no, I don't want him here. I still remember him punching fans when he was at Oregon. We have enough RBs on the roster, we need help elsewhere. We also don't know if Marty will actually commit to running the ball, we were extremely pass heavy last year.

Like others have said, thanks but no thanks. There´s a bunch of option I´d rather explore, though:

1- Matt Jones (definitely my fav one)
Young (24), perfect for the power game. Starving for snaps in a crowded backfield, might be available in exchange for a late round/conditional pick. Might turn into a great RB behind a good line and fitting scheme.
2- Jeremy Hill
The definition of a 2 down ´back. Like Jones he´ll probably be looking for a new home soon but he´s a more expensive and, therefore, a less appetizing solution.

3-Alfred Morris
Not as young as the former guys but can contribute as a change of pace 2nd RB. Not a 3rd down back either, but we have Woodhead for that. His price is drastically falling and would again be available for something close to nothing.

Id say most if not all of these guys are straight up better versions of West, but I believe West will breakout anyway and earned his role.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i dont think blount is a fit - last year was an aberration to a certain extent - the touchdowns are a flashy number but he's not making more yards after contact than either west or dixon (in fact they are better significantly) and his ypc behind a good pats offensive line where he wasnt the featured part of the offense was under 4 ypc - there's a reason he's not been signed and it's probably more his lack of effectiveness than the off field stuff because by all accounts he likely grew out of that stuff or bill belichek would have chucked him out on his arse early on in the season

all he'd offer is vet experience at the rb position (something woodhead has tons of) and a history of finding the endzone in short yardage but im not sure that's enough to have him take up a roster spot here

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not keen. While I like that he is a thumper and had a ton of TDs last year, I don't like his yards per carry, yards after contact numbers. Both of those metrics trail that of Dixon and even West. So thanks but no thanks.

Id say most if not all of these guys are straight up better versions of West, but I believe West will breakout anyway and earned his role.

Sure, we can always hope our guys to develope. Anyway, having a Matt Jones as a power runner (and under a cheap contract, as we would scoop him up in his last rookie year) wouldn't hurt us, I guess.