• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Your thoughts on Blount as a Raven

flynismo

Practice Squad
If we weren't already jammed at RB, I'd like to have him. But West and Dixon, and I guess Woodhead, will be more than enough to get the job done. The question is will the OL sabotage the offense this year? There is no way we are going to run the ball effectively with what we got now.

If we weren't already jammed at RB, I'd like to have him. But West and Dixon, and I guess Woodhead, will be more than enough to get the job done. The question is will the OL sabotage the offense this year? There is no way we are going to run the ball effectively with what we got now.

Yeah sure, we do have depth albeit we don't have a true workhorse. I also agree that we don't even know what half of our OL will look like in September, so it probably doesn't make too much sense to throw a few more bucks at the position anyway.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sure, we can always hope our guys to develope. Anyway, having a Matt Jones as a power runner (and under a cheap contract, as we would scoop him up in his last rookie year) wouldn't hurt us, I guess.
there's no point giving up a pick for a guy like matt jones - of those guys he mentioned i like alfred morris the most despite being older than the other guys - he doesnt have huge tread on his tyres just because he's been criminally underutilised in every situation he's gone to
[doublepost=1494350252,1494349922][/doublepost]
Yeah sure, we do have depth albeit we don't have a true workhorse. I also agree that we don't even know what half of our OL will look like in September, so it probably doesn't make too much sense to throw a few more bucks at the position anyway.
i think the idea of a workhorse is a little outdated at this point - there are maybe only 5/6 workhorse running backs in the league at the moment - lev bell, david johnson, zeke, jay ajayi?, demarco murray?, devonta freeman?...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some combination of West, Woodhead, and probably Buck Allen should be able to hold down the fort while Dixon is serving his suspension. I'd rather see the remaining cap space spent on plugging in the O-line holes and/or adding a veteran WR.

there's no point giving up a pick for a guy like matt jones - of those guys he mentioned i like alfred morris the most despite being older than the other guys - he doesnt have huge tread on his tyres just because he's been criminally underutilised in every situation he's gone to
i think the idea of a workhorse is a little outdated at this point - there are maybe only 5/6 workhorse running backs in the league at the moment - lev bell, david johnson, zeke, jay ajayi?, demarco murray?, devonta freeman?...

Well I wrote late(7th)/conditional (maybe he doesn't even make the team). I'll be delighted if we found a power back like Jones with a 7th round pick but I don't see it as an easy task. Jeez look at how many day 3 picks we kind of wasted on a RB (Pierce who was even a day 2, Taliaferro, Allen).
With true workhorse I meant a real #1 RB. Someone who is dependable. We haven't had someone like that since RR. Not saying it's a must and that a team won't move the chains without it, but having a player fitting the scheme (in this case Matt and the team moving to a more power run oriented set of playcalls) might be ideal. We have a great 3rd down RB in Dixon who can possibly be more than that (but he's suspended for a few games and is definitely not a short yardage kind of back). We have West who does a bit of everything but doesn't excel at anything. Again, spending a late/conditional on something that finally makes sense wouldn't kill anybody

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Matt Jones would be a mistake, the reason he didn't pan out in Washington is due to his fumble issues. No way due we trade for someone who quickly will be in the doghouse.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I dont see an issue with bringing Blount in considering it looks like we are building the team to win 17-13 ish with how we are adding everything to the defense and ignoring the offense, again. Problem I see is either money or the FO really thinks that Dixon is our future, either i dont know.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Blount at $3M+ per year or West on his tender and we know what we're getting in a locker room presence. It's a no brainer to me.

Pats

Veteran
He'll want too much, plus he is great for regular season but is anti clutch in games with decent defenses.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

First, good to see you here Fy! And second, I agree! We're good to go at the RB spot but we got to make sure that the O-line is the strength of the offense to both protect Flacco and to aid in that rushing attack!

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I think he is a systems guy. He will not be nearly as productive out of that system. Not to mention having tom Brady took a lot of focus of attention off him. And Dixon at only 5'10 217 lbs runs as strong. Take a look at his broken tackles. Not a coincidence. I read somewhere he can squat more than most lineman. Makes sense he breaks all them tackles. Take into consideration he breaks all them tackles and is known for being an explosive shifty runner and catching.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
As of now, I say no. According to Over The Cap, we are only projected to have 1 Comp pick in 2018 and that's a third round pick for Ricky Wagner. With him being tendered, if we sign him then we would put our lone compensatory pick in jeopardy due to the rules. From Jamison Hensley:

If the Ravens added Blount, this move would cancel out free-agent guard Vladimir Ducasse signing with Buffalo but Baltimore would still get the third-rounder for losing offensive tackle Rick Wagner to Detroit. The problem is, if the Bills cut Ducasse (which is a possibility), the Ravens then would have lost four unrestricted free agents and gained four, which would negate any comp picks for Baltimore. Buffalo can gain a third-rounder by releasing Ducasse, which gives the team even more incentive to do so.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well hopefully the Patriots little 110% tender keeps The Ravens away from Blount completely. :06:

4 weeks :brickwall: and Dixon returns he & West will do well!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As of now, I say no. According to Over The Cap, we are only projected to have 1 Comp pick in 2018 and that's a third round pick for Ricky Wagner. With him being tendered, if we sign him then we would put our lone compensatory pick in jeopardy due to the rules. From Jamison Hensley:
He wouldn't cancel our comp pick. No signings as of May 9th cancel projected comp picks.

That being said, say no to Blount

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I think the fact that he isn't signed by now should be enough for us to not look under that rock. Whether its where is head is or how much he wants, not worth it.