• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Indianapolis

I don't know that I could disagree more with this notion. It innately requires blind faith by virtue of its basis since it automatically presumes that each decision made by our staff is always accurate. We hold our offensive and defensive staff responsible when needed, our FO. The same goes for the players. Far more is said and seen about our schemes on the inside. Our play-calling against our scout team could be working to perfection. Each draft evaluation has more content than we could hope to attain. Perhaps any questionable selections look significantly more reasonable with the full information on hand. But we don't dispell any issues by stating that all we can do is trust the staff. It would make discussions about issues obsolete. Willfully dismissing the idea that a potential mistake or oversight, or even misfortune, can even occur is objectively silly. I do agree in that multiple factors go into the equation, including the injury history. But he's also played an average of over 30 snaps per game over a handful of weeks, so he hasn't been on the field sparingly. It could very well be that he hasn't impressed enough, at least to a degree. Either way, in my opinion, it is entirely fair to at least wonder whether he has seen enough looks in the passing game. It looks like we may have to agree to disagree.
OK - disagree with the notion that the team sees more of these players than we do and is in a better position than we are to evaluate how they should utilize a player.
I don't know that I could disagree more with this notion. It innately requires blind faith by virtue of its basis since it automatically presumes that each decision made by our staff is always accurate. We hold our offensive and defensive staff responsible when needed, our FO. The same goes for the players. Far more is said and seen about our schemes on the inside. Our play-calling against our scout team could be working to perfection. Each draft evaluation has more content than we could hope to attain. Perhaps any questionable selections look significantly more reasonable with the full information on hand. But we don't dispell any issues by stating that all we can do is trust the staff. It would make discussions about issues obsolete. Willfully dismissing the idea that a potential mistake or oversight, or even misfortune, can even occur is objectively silly. I do agree in that multiple factors go into the equation, including the injury history. But he's also played an average of over 30 snaps per game over a handful of weeks, so he hasn't been on the field sparingly. It could very well be that he hasn't impressed enough, at least to a degree. Either way, in my opinion, it is entirely fair to at least wonder whether he has seen enough looks in the passing game. It looks like we may have to agree to disagree.
I understand. We want to be able to question the staff if we think they are mishandling someone. I still contend his frequent injuries have prevented the team from using him the way we would like to see him used.

Sooo happy to see him get his 1st TD of the season. Make no mistake ... Next year we need to lean on him as a #1 TE.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
OK - disagree with the notion that the team sees more of these players than we do and is in a better position than we are to evaluate how they should utilize a player.

I understand. We want to be able to question the staff if we think they are mishandling someone. I still contend his frequent injuries have prevented the team from using him the way we would like to see him used.

Sooo happy to see him get his 1st TD of the season. Make no mistake ... Next year we need to lean on him as a #1 TE.
The sentiment above misstates my assertion entirely. They most certainly have a larger scope available to them. But being in a better position to evaluate doesn't necessitate a better evaluation in every single instance. When a concern is written off by rationalizing the result solely because of whom it's made by, it directly implies that there are no missteps, that we can take every decision at face value as the right decision. It's a fairly evident example of the appeal-to-authority fallacy. And if it's indeed the case, then by that logic, we quite literally cannot question anything as a fanbase given our consistent disadvantage. We can't question the play-calling to any extent since the team is in a better position to evaluate the utilization of their players. For example, I pointed out two weeks prior that C.J. Mosley was placed in a unfavorable to defend a potential scramble on a 3rd and 2 by being asked to drop 10 yards down the field. Under that logic, the point can be immediately dispelled with the mention of the fact that Dean Pees has a larger scope of information than I do, rendering my point null and void on that alone.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm by no means stating or even implying that we as fans are on the same level as the coaching staff in a general sense. They have a distinct advantage that places them in a more advantageous situation, generally speaking (With the latter being key as the presence of an advantage doesn't mean that it's never being used improperly). I'm not even stating that Williams is being grossly misused beyond belief. I'm only stating that it's incredibly difficult to expect Williams to produce large numbers given the lack of opportunities. He played 33 snaps immediately after returning against Tennessee and has seen about half of the total snaps in each of the last seven games. In addition, he wasn't used more in the passing game prior to the injury, and since his return, he's been consistently used as a blocker in both the running and passing games, which is no less difficult on the body than having a receiving role. With that in mind, it's somewhat difficult to argue that his role has been scaled back because of injury concerns.

Sorry man not sure what happened with my post. That first paragraph was written sometime ago and I thought I scraped it because after I wrote it, I didn't agree with it myself. The site seems to hold on to your reply if you write something then exit the site.

The real message I wanted to send was the opening lines in the second paragraph ... That it's fair to want to be able to question what the staff does.

And while blocking is certainly as physically demanding, my contention is that injury has prevented him from getting the reps to build chemistry with Joe. Moreso than many QBs, Joe doesn't seem to connect quickly with any receiver and with Watson available the staff has been more comfortable calling his number.

But again ... Really happy to see them call his number to score that TD today and looking for him to grow into a go to player for us next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sorry man not sure what happened with my post. That first paragraph was written sometime ago and I thought I scraped it because after I wrote it, I didn't agree with it myself. The site seems to hold on to your reply if you write something then exit the site.

The real message I wanted to send was the opening lines in the second paragraph ... That it's fair to want to be able to question what the staff does.

And while blocking is certainly as physically demanding, my contention is that injury has prevented him from getting the reps to build chemistry with Joe. Moreso than many QBs, Joe doesn't seem to connect quickly with any receiver and with Watson available the staff has been more comfortable calling his number.

But again ... Really happy to see them call his number to score that TD today and looking for him to grow into a go to player for us next year.

Yeah if you exit the site or even if you just delete all the text you need to use the delete draft button otherwise it all just comes back

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator

No worries. Happens to me quite often on here. I can't disagree with much of anything at all said afterwards.