• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Calvin Pryor

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To be fair, he was outstanding on tape last season. Part of the issue has innately been in his usage. It has been categorically versatile, more than you'd prefer at times even. Of his 944 snaps, he's played 466 at FS alone. 107 have come at slot corner, when he was directly lined up against a WR or slot TE, and over a dozen at either LCB or RCB. That's 588, which is 62.3% of his overall usage. You look at a player like Kam Chancellor, and he's statistically played the majority of his snaps at either LB, on the edge or at SS this season. So there has been a tough learning curve for Jefferson. It doesn't completely write off his early season struggles, but it's worth noting.

Jefferson had a fair share of assignment lapses earlier in the year, but it seems he's been asked to play a lot more close-intermediate snaps and he has done very well there recently, leveon bell folded his ass up multiple times but bell is a total freak and Jefferson did enough for the most part to get him down. Aside from his tackling attempts vs Bell he's had a pretty solid 2nd half.

I think he's been very disappointing considering the deal he got, but I think he's gonna be a big part of our future and show why we gave him that deal

i've said since we signed him that my dream alignment involves jefferson at dimebacker next to CJ with weddle on the backend (+ another safety which at the beginning of the year i thought should be webby but at this point is more likely levine or clark) - and using jefferson in those packages has demonstratively helped him to play better you can allow him to go and hunt the football close to the LoS which is really what we signed him for

it's another case of pees getting too cute and trying to out bluff the opposition by using his players in unexpected situations more often (that's all well and good but when you do it all the time it is no longer a surprise and it puts your players in worse spots)

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
To be fair, he was outstanding on tape last season. Part of the issue has innately been in his usage. It has been categorically versatile, more than you'd prefer at times even. Of his 944 snaps, he's played 466 at FS alone. 107 have come at slot corner, when he was directly lined up against a WR or slot TE, and over a dozen at either LCB or RCB. That's 588, which is 62.3% of his overall usage. You look at a player like Kam Chancellor, and he's statistically played the majority of his snaps at either LB, on the edge or at SS this season. So there has been a tough learning curve for Jefferson. It doesn't completely write off his early season struggles, but it's worth noting.

What I think professor means in English. He wasn't used in pure coverage very often in Arizona. However when he was used in pure coverage he played quite well. The ravens took a calculated gamble that he could play far more coverage and do it very very well. While making his usual plays in the box, physical tackles, and ints and sacks. Which would make him a bargain at $9mil per and one of the best safety's/defensive players in the league. However he hasn't stood out in coverage like anticipated. And the stress from getting scorched in coverage has hurt his usual playmaking.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
i've said since we signed him that my dream alignment involves jefferson at dimebacker next to CJ with weddle on the backend (+ another safety which at the beginning of the year i thought should be webby but at this point is more likely levine or clark) - and using jefferson in those packages has demonstratively helped him to play better you can allow him to go and hunt the football close to the LoS which is really what we signed him for

it's another case of pees getting too cute and trying to out bluff the opposition by using his players in unexpected situations more often (that's all well and good but when you do it all the time it is no longer a surprise and it puts your players in worse spots)

Dude that's not on pees. Everybody discussed what his role would be b4 tightwad Oz shelled out $9mil per for a player in his prime. And everybody agreed he could perform well in the roles planned for him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dude that's not on pees. Everybody discussed what his role would be b4 tightwad Oz shelled out $9mil per for a player in his prime. And everybody agreed he could perform well in the roles planned for him.

huh? what are you talking about... ive said from the beginning i wanted to see jefferson at dime and im happier now because im seeing him play dimebacker a few times now...

not sure how that's not on pees...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think his role has changed a lot here and has been asked to do more in the box and without that #2 ILB our defense is getting burned. I miss Zach Orr I understand people think most his tackles were because of CJ which is true, but nobody can deny he is definitely better than Peanut and Correa. I feel like those intermediate routes were shut down last season and this season that is where we are getting burned consistently. CJ has always had a harder time in coverage and fixed a lot of that up last year and was doing so early on but with his injury he definitely has not been hitting players as hard or getting places as fast.
Prior to the Steelers game, the Ravens had the third ranked defense over the middle in terms of passer rating, but eh. Orr was really bad.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Prior to the Steelers game, the Ravens had the third ranked defense over the middle in terms of passer rating, but eh. Orr was really bad.

im currently going through the ravens browns game - peanut has played pretty well recently showing a good amount of strength (surprising given that he's a converted linebacker) he's ripped out of the blocks of an olineman and he's picked the right gaps and swarmed in a couple of times too

important to remember that this is peanut's 2nd year and orr didnt even take over the starting role til year 3 - with an offseason where he doesnt split snaps with correa and have to fight correa for the start i wonder if he can take another step forward and become even better for the year of starting experience

Sooky

Pro Bowler
And I believe it will continue being an issue because I think everybody can agree right now the weakness on this team is that 2nd inside linebacker spot and teams will continue to target that linebacker. With Jimmy Smith out there will be more safety help needed on the backend with the cornerbacks when he usually could do it pretty much by himself. The whole defense has shifted and that will be where every team attacks. Bank on it.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
And I believe it will continue being an issue because I think everybody can agree right now the weakness on this team is that 2nd inside linebacker spot and teams will continue to target that linebacker. With Jimmy Smith out there will be more safety help needed on the backend with the cornerbacks when he usually could do it pretty much by himself. The whole defense has shifted and that will be where every team attacks. Bank on it.
I mean, I'd imagine the second linebacker plays far fewer snaps than anyone even realizes due to high nickel/dime utilization and we probably see more Levine/Jefferson/Weddle in coverage than we see Peanut in terms of being matched up against tight ends.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean, I'd imagine the second linebacker plays far fewer snaps than anyone even realizes due to high nickel/dime utilization and we probably see more Levine/Jefferson/Weddle in coverage than we see Peanut in terms of being matched up against tight ends.

it's situational - sometimes the offence goes no huddle and we have to keep the personnel on, or they are passing on 1st/2nd down - im not sure but i dont think its an insignificant amount of snaps that peanut handles in coverage (or passing downs in general) - but you're right that its alleviated a lot by the dimebacker

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
im currently going through the ravens browns game - peanut has played pretty well recently showing a good amount of strength (surprising given that he's a converted linebacker) he's ripped out of the blocks of an olineman and he's picked the right gaps and swarmed in a couple of times too

important to remember that this is peanut's 2nd year and orr didnt even take over the starting role til year 3 - with an offseason where he doesnt split snaps with correa and have to fight correa for the start i wonder if he can take another step forward and become even better for the year of starting experience
I mean, I can't really knock Peanut too much anyway for his play. Being the second inside linebacker in the 3-4 might be the least important position on the team and the only time people will take significant notice is if you have like Bowman-Willis.

I'm happy with how Peanut has played and if he's our biggest concern on defense, then that's a really good thing for our defense in the coming years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean, I can't really knock Peanut too much anyway for his play. Being the second inside linebacker in the 3-4 might be the least important position on the team and the only time people will take significant notice is if you have like Bowman-Willis.

I'm happy with how Peanut has played and if he's our biggest concern on defense, then that's a really good thing for our defense in the coming years.

yeah i was thinking about how we might need another linebacker added this offseason but im not sure anymore - definitely prefer other spots over that position on both sides of the ball - im pretty happy with peanut as the 2nd ilb especially if he keeps improving