• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 16 Discussion (Other Teams)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This is the 2 week warning in the regular season. If you ever doubted parity in the NFL, this was the season to make you say yes it does exist. The Jaguars, Rams, Eagles and Vikings are 4 teams who missed the playoffs last season but are all but in it in 2017. Playoff spots are still available, BYE weeks have yet to be unwrapped and coal has yet to be delievered to head coaches who haven't been fired yet. What will the final 2 weeks of 2017 bring to the NFL this Christmas?

Vikings @ Packers: After our game, we get to watch some NFC North football as Aaron Rodgers re..... is back on IR and won't get any chance of revenge against the the Grinches who stole the Packers season in the Vikings defense. Vikings can clinch a first round bye with a win and Panthers loss.

Browns @ Bears: Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Factory, not a creature was stirring, not even the Cleveland Browns. The Stockings were hung by the Draft Board, in hopes that Josh Rosen soon would be there. When out on the field, arose such a clatter, I sprang from the seats to see what was the matter, the Cleveland Browns won their first and only game of the year. The Christmas Miracle.... Part 2!

Lions @ Bengals: The Lions hope to unwrap a playoff spot this Christmas as they need to win out and need some losses from other teams in the process. Apparently all Marvin Lewis wants for Christmas is a one way ticket out of Cincinnati, and if last week was any indication the players have gave up following the announcement of his departure.

Rams @ Titans: The Rams can win the NFC West with a win or Seahawks loss. Tennessee meanwhile can clinch a playoff spot with a loss by us and Buffalo. The Rams are looking legit after demolishing the Seahawks in Seattle last week. The Titans look like they slipped on some ice and have yet to recover barely hanging on to a playoff spot.

Dolphins @ Chiefs: When all hope was lost, the Chiefs came out of nowhere like a Christmas Miracle and took back control of the AFC West. They can now clinch the West with a win or Chargers loss. Dolphins look to play spoiler as the Chiefs hope to unwrap a division title this Sunday.

Bills @ Patriots: One would think if there ever would be a Christmas Miracle in the NFL, it would be the day the NFL finally figures out what a catch actually is. The Pats benefitted from the catch rule once again and have Home Field Advantage on their mind this weekend. The Bills look to get into the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

Falcons @ Saints: Sean Payton ended up on the naughty list when he drew a controversial flag in the closing moments of the last game with the Falcons. This time around, he needs to be careful. The NFC South is a 3 man race, and there is no clear cut winner in this one. This game will go a long way toward determining who wins the South next week.

Chargers @ Jets: The Chargers look to capitalize on a potential Dolphins victory here by winning against the team from NY who was supposed to be picking first overall. The overachieving Jets look to build on this season, find an actual franchise QB and make headlines in the NFL come 2018.

Broncos @ Redskins: The final Christmas Dinner with Kirk Cousins as his real Christmas present comes in March when some team backs up a truck load of money to his door step. The Broncos will get a chance first hand to see if he is worthy of a bunch of money as they are in the hunt for a franchise quarterback.

Bucs @ Panthers: If both the Panthers & Falcons win this week, their game in week 17 will likely be flexed into SNF for the battle of the NFC South Crown. The Bucs look to play spoiler for the Panthers in their final home game of the year.

Jaguars @ 49ers: The Jaguars can win the AFC South this week with a win making next week's showdown with the Titans pointless. Except Jimmy G is here to drop some coal in the Jaguars stocking and keep his perfect winning record in tact.

Seahawks @ Cowboys: Looks like the Seahawks are imploding, and the Cowboys are getting good at the right time. They get Zeke back this week from his suspension and Dak is playing like he did in 2016. Dallas can keep their playoff hopes alive with a win here and most importantly clinching a H2H tiebreaker over Seattle if needed for the last wild card spot.

Giants @ Cardinals: This is the Ugly Bowl folks, 2 teams who really are just jockeying for draft position in next year's draft. The Giants are likely locked into the top 3 at this point and the Cardinals are in position to take a franchise quarterback.

Steelers @ Texans: The Steelers need a win to keep Jacksonville at bay when it comes to a bye week. A win by Jacksonville and a Christmas miracle by Houston, gives the Jags the costly H2H tiebreaker moving them to the 2 seed, and Pittsburgh to wild card weekend.

Raiders @ Eagles: If Santa were smart, he would not show up to Philly after delievring all his presents because Eagles fans will pelt him with something. The Raiders meanwhile are pretty much out of the playoff picture at this point and the Eagles are hoping to hang on to the number one seed in the NFC.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Very well done as always. One thing I might point out is the Bucs game at Thai point can’t be flexed. Needs to be done a couple weeks in advance. That is unless they changed that rule over the offseason and I missed it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
some interesting games - not as high octane as the last 4-5 weeks though

titans rams is interesting only in that its got ramifications for the ravens - in actuality this is a massive mismatch and the rams should curb stomp the titans on their way to chasing a bye - i dont trust the titans defence to halt the rams offence and in a shootout im not sure the titans have anywhere near enough firepower to keep up

browns bears is interesting because the best outcome for both teams (mostly) would be a cleveland win - bears get a guaranteed higher pick (potentially even the 4th pick) and the browns get of the schneid - that being said this is the browns last chance given that the steelers are gonna be fighting for a bye in week 17 - if the browns cant win this game then im all the more certain that hue jackson is gone (likely to become the new head coach of the bengals)

bills pats ironically only matters if we lose a match - that being said it would be nice to see a buffalo loss anyway just to dispirit them before they face miami next week - we really shouldnt need any help to get a wildcard spot at this point but any help will do - at this point though the titans are the far more important team to watch for - i was already enjoying the rams but ill enjoy watching them even more this week if they can take out the titans

falcons saints is fairly self-explanatory in importance - the panther's resurgence leaves the falcons on the cusp of missing the playoffs and the saints on the cusp of somehow not winning the division in which they are by far the best team - division game, playoff implications, 2 good football teams fighting for their football lives is gonna be a good match

jags 49ers - jimmy g keeps rolling but this is his toughest test yet... if he topples the jags then all bedlam will break loose - the narrative about how the 49ers got a bargain will only be heightened with every win - jags are still fighting for that bye especially with the head to head victory over the steelers they really have a shot here - the problem is they need some help from the texans or the browns which seems unlikely - the browns and texans are plummeting towards the browns maybe having 2 top 5 picks in the draft

seahawks cowboys - the tough falcons schedule and the return of zeke gives the cowboys a boost but they still have a tough road ahead - seahawks have been embarrassed the last few weeks in different ways - their offseason is likely to be a sketchy one already - throw that messy locker room into an even longer offseason from missing the playoffs and this organisation might implode - that being said their reputation is on the line after suffering 2 serious blows the last 2 weeks - these teams are both gonna want this and its a tough one to call

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not watching the game but from previous games they swarm but also their defensive front dominates the line - linval Joseph and eversen griffen are both all-pro talents at the top of their game
Hard to beat that. Fun to watch

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If they are the 1 seed they have a very good chance of playing the super bowl on their home turf

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Vikings led by Keenum are legit.

Unfortunately, they have a major QB issue in the offseason. Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater are all free agents. Do they let Keenum go and hope Bridgewater will be the same player he was before injury or have doubts and just say hey, Keenum is our guy we wish you the best elsewhere. What kind of money would you even give Keenum, give him the Tag for one year to see if he can replicate this season? They have a big decision coming up.

Like if it was me, I'd keep Keenum if I was the Vikings and tag him to see if he can replicate what he's doing this season next season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately, they have a major QB issue in the offseason. Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater are all free agents. Do they let Keenum go and hope Bridgewater will be the same player he was before injury or have doubts and just say hey, Keenum is our guy we wish you the best elsewhere. What kind of money would you even give Keenum, give him the Tag for one year to see if he can replicate this season? They have a big decision coming up.
Wow, didn’t realize all of them are fa. Lot of possible destinations for them if they let them walk. Bradford won’t be back. Pretty sure about that one

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Wow, didn’t realize all of them are fa. Lot of possible destinations for them if they let them walk. Bradford won’t be back. Pretty sure about that one

Yet in Cleveland, they wish they had that kind of QB problem to deal with.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Probably going to curse this but the last time the Vikings shutout the Packers was in 1971. Funny thing is, they won that game 3-0.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Like if it was me, I'd keep Keenum if I was the Vikings and tag him to see if he can replicate what he's doing this season next season.

If I’m the Vikings I’m not gonna really worry about it if you win a home super bowl - they’ll keep case I imagine, I have a feeling Bradford might not play football again (I sense a degenerative knee condition) and bridgewater is up in the air - at the end of the first round the Vikings could be a sneaky candidate to draft a qb

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If I’m the Vikings I’m not gonna really worry about it if you win a home super bowl - they’ll keep case I imagine, I have a feeling Bradford might not play football again (I sense a degenerative knee condition) and bridgewater is up in the air - at the end of the first round the Vikings could be a sneaky candidate to draft a qb
They’d be in a very good position to trade back actually and take a 2nd rd qb