• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 17 Discussion (Other Teams)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Here's the go to thread while we wait for our 4:25PM start on Sunday as the wild playoff picture gets set and we will know who is heading to the postseason in January. I have broken this week down in simple terms, I'm only giving previews for the games with playoff implications as the other games just don't matter. Unless of course if you think it matters whether a meaningless win in Week 17 would kill a team's draft but otherwise, playoff games only this week. With teams resting their starters who have nothing to play for, and a perfect season on the line, what awaits the final week of the 2017 NFL Regular Season?

Bears @ Vikings: The Vikings may not be able to get home field advantage as the Eagles locked that up last week. What's important here is to not be upset by the Bears in John Fox's final game and potentially let Carolina sneak in and take the 2 seed if Carolina were to beat the Falcons, and the Saints lose giving them the 2 seed.

Jets @ Patriots: Not saying it's possible but an upset by Gang Green could give Pittsburgh the number one seed with a loss and a Steelers win. Have to wonder if Todd Bowles will come into this game with much more confidence with his new contract to prove the Jets are going to be a threat in the future.

Browns @ Steelers: The Steelers are sitting Big Ben and Bell according to Marcus Gilbert. Some starters have been given extra rest during practice meaning to get the backups ready to play. Now how many players Steelers sit with the number one seed still up for grabs, is going to be interesting to see. As for the Browns, it seems they are on their way to join the 2008 Lions in the 0-16 club and Hue Jackson's fate will be decided on Monday.

Panthers @ Falcons: If the Panthers win, and angry Jameis Winston pulls off an upset against the Saints, they win the NFC South. Atlanta can clinch a playoff spot with a win against the Panthers or a Seahawks loss.

Cardinals @ Seahawks: This is or is not Bruce Arian's final game with the Cardinals, and he looks to leave a mark by denying the Seahawks a playoff spot.

Jaguars @ Titans: The Tennessee Titans need a win and their in, and can jump us for the 5th seed if we happen to lose against Cincy. The Jags aren't resting their starters so this will be a tough game for the Titans to show they do belong in January.

49ers @ Rams: The Rams are resting their starters this weekend against red hot QB Jimmy G and the 49ers. Rams are locked in to either the 3rd or 4th seed regardless but very questionable not trying to win the game to ensure the 3 seed in case the Eagles or Vikings get knocked out, and the possibility of playing the NFC Title Game in LA.

Bills @ Dolphins: For the Bills, they need a win and a Baltimore loss to clinch a playoff spot and end their playoff drought.

Raiders @ Chargers: The Chargers need a win, plus a Titans loss and Bills loss in order to make the playoffs. Boy, how pissed will Bills fans be if the H2H tiebreaker between the Chargers and Bills is the difference in making the playoffs. Nathan Peterman sure was worth losing a playoff spot.

Saints @ Bucs: Saints clinch the NFC South with a win over the Bucs.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
If (when) the Browns lose, they'll join the '08 Lions in going 4-0 in the preseason before going 0-16 when it counts.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
not a huge amount of intrigue this week tbh:

jags titans is interesting nominally but the jags will really have to shit the bed for the titans to have a chance in this one - the titans have one of the best records in the league for team that really isnt very good - jags will want momentum before hosting a playoff game next weekend and will likely want to knock their division "rivals" out of the playoffs too

falcons panthers - falcons have been significantly hindered by poor offensive playcalling at times and some serial bad luck in key spots (both caused by refereeing and also by just general unluckiness) - they are clearly a better team and roster than the seahawks but they are playing a panthers team that due to some mathematically quirks still has a chance at a playoff bye despite the rams and saints having no chance at one... that being said, much like the titans the panthers are underwhelming as a team for such a good record - their defence has been particularly disappointing recently and you have to think that a well called offensive game by the falcons should see them seal the 6th seed especially given the panthers lack of fire power on the outside but who knows - the panthers have been unpredictable in a frustrating way - the falcons also might benefit from these games being played simultaneously - if this game is close heading into the 4th quarter and the saints have a 10 point lead or more you may see the panthers bench their starters which ultimately will likely allow the falcons to sneak the win (if they hadnt already)

49ers rams is interesting because it might be the clash for next year's nfc west title - as it is today the rams have sealed a home playoff game and have in house decided they dont care whether they get the 3rd or 4th seed which i think is a pretty pragmatic and sensible decision given that the eagles might be an easier team to play than the vikings in the divisional round

seahawks cardinals isnt really an interesting matchup to me at all - the seahawks are frustrating and annoying and i want them out of my life lol but they may still get a playoff spot - i can definitely see a way the cardinals could upset but i dont know how likely it is, especially if news gets to the seahawks that the falcons are in some bother vs the panthers... if the seahawks lose though we could see a case where the falcons end up losing out to end the year and still sneaking into the playoffs

bills dolphins is intriguing - which dolphins team shows up will be telling especially with jay cutler having checked out and back into his cushy media job already... the bills can still get the 6th seed with a loss (i think) but it would be apt for the bills to make a hash of this and continue their league-leading playoff drought (yep that's right it's longer than the browns')

JO_75

Hall of Famer
not a huge amount of intrigue this week tbh:

jags titans is interesting nominally but the jags will really have to shit the bed for the titans to have a chance in this one - the titans have one of the best records in the league for team that really isnt very good - jags will want momentum before hosting a playoff game next weekend and will likely want to knock their division "rivals" out of the playoffs too

bills dolphins is intriguing - which dolphins team shows up will be telling especially with jay cutler having checked out and back into his cushy media job already... the bills can still get the 6th seed with a loss (i think) but it would be apt for the bills to make a hash of this and continue their league-leading playoff drought (yep that's right it's longer than the browns')

Well..... Miami just said screw you Baltimore and we will lay down for Buffalo and give them a easy win. A new report says the Dolphins could start QB David Fales over Jay Cutler against the Bills. Though hopefully Gase still wants to win and doesn't just lay down for the Bills.

“[Fales] got first-team repetitions in practice this week and Gase is preparing Fales to play,” writes Miami Herald reporter Armando Salguero. “The final decision whether to use Fales is apparently not yet made because, and ultimately, the game will dictate whether Fales sees the field because Gase still wants to win.”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/20...d-fales-over-jay-cutler-against-buffalo-bills

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well..... Miami just said screw you Baltimore and we will lay down for Buffalo and give them a easy win. A new report says the Dolphins could start QB David Fales over Jay Cutler against the Bills. Though hopefully Gase still wants to win and doesn't just lay down for the Bills.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/20...d-fales-over-jay-cutler-against-buffalo-bills

cutler might have checked out already - tbf to gase this might be the only way they get functional qb play - then again if he's resting these guys he's either about to be fired and doesnt care or he's had assurances that he's staying and has been given the go ahead to facilitate a better draft pick

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Jags not resting their starters is huge, but Tennessee beat Jax earlier this year in Jax. It isn't going to be a walk in the park for either team.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

What's the problem?
The only thing the Ravens need to focus on is beating the Bengals. If we lose, we might still get in but we wouldn't deserve to be in playoffs in that case.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
What's the problem?
The only thing the Ravens need to focus on is beating the Bengals. If we lose, we might still get in but we wouldn't deserve to be in playoffs in that case.

Was just hoping Miami would put up more of a fight to try to win the game and end the season with a win. Not just potentially lay down and lose intentionally.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I would find it funny if Matt Ryan and the Falcons miss the playoffs
It's a shame the NFL didn't do games that affect the NFC wild card in one slot with the AFC bye week games and then do AFC wild card and NFC bye week games in the later one. None of these games atm look particularly good. But to be fair I guess you can't bring the Seahawks game forward three hours.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This Colts-Texans game is getting chippy. I was surprised that Hilton and Joseph weren't ejected for the multiple punches they threw at each other.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Took 4 quarters but finally the 0-0 tie in Philly has been broken. Cowboys get the first TD of the game.