• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ty Huntley, The Big Plays and The Andy Dalton

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's young and he made a mistake in a big spot
none of us gave up on stephens after he screwed up last week either?

and westry played well on so many other plays

he had a poor snap and he's gonna hate watching it on the film tomorrow (maybe even on the plane home) but it was a tough spot and he screwed up but it shouldnt negate the good work he did do
He's got lucky a couple of times and wasn't flagged on the play Humphrey was.
At some point we've got to be honest and realize he's bad.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wink needs to adjust his game plan. Throughout the course of the game, the opposing offense figures you out, so when crunch time comes they know where to go and how to pick up the blitz. It’s not just shit luck that we keep falling apart in big defensive moments, it’s because by the time the big moments come they’ve figured out where we’re gonna be vulnerable on money downs, because wink continues to do the same thing in the last 2 minutes that he did the first 58. He needs to start turning his game plans on its head when we get to crucial drives, throw a fucking curveball wink, it doesn’t matter how brilliant your blitz design might be when you have 1-2 guys WIDE open and the offense has a rb in pass pro to just patiently pick up the stunt.

it’s old, it’s stale, it works for 3/4 of the game every week. It’s not a coincidence, this defense works with a certain talent level but it falls apart BY DESIGN.

nothing happens this consistently by coincidence.

i think partly too that the guys we have on the backend just arent that good blitzing - chuck's a decent blitzer but elliott and tavon young are great blitzers but with no corners we werent blitzing tavon much and without elliott we dont have a good blitzer there at safety

it's not just about the scheme - i think we no longer have the personnel to be successful consistently with those blitzes - if you're gonna run them then you have to get home quickly and make sure the free man makes it - we're not doing that right now

also worth pointing out that houston, oweh and bowser are all consistently winning in 4 man rush scenarios - it makes sense to play to that strength when the initial strength of this defence (the coverage) has been decimated

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I'm still concerned about the defense, played poor discipline and again, big plays allowed. Bears were prepared for the blitz on 4th and 11 and hit us with the double move. This defense sinks when it matters most. We're lucky we came away with a TD on that last drive. It sure helped that Dalton and Fields missed badly on a ton of throws, Bears were literally shooting themselves in the foot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He's got lucky a couple of times and wasn't flagged on the play Humphrey was.
At some point we've got to be honest and realize he's bad.

i mean no one's pretending he's some pro bowl starter or even a starter at all

but this feels like an over-reaction similar to the one when averett got destroyed against the chiefs as a rookie and then again in year 2...

he's a young guy who's got room to get better - feels too simple to just say he's awful in that way

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Wink needs to adjust his game plan. Throughout the course of the game, the opposing offense figures you out, so when crunch time comes they know where to go and how to pick up the blitz. It’s not just shit luck that we keep falling apart in big defensive moments, it’s because by the time the big moments come they’ve figured out where we’re gonna be vulnerable on money downs, because wink continues to do the same thing in the last 2 minutes that he did the first 58. He needs to start turning his game plans on its head when we get to crucial drives, throw a fucking curveball wink, it doesn’t matter how brilliant your blitz design might be when you have 1-2 guys WIDE open and the offense has a rb in pass pro to just patiently pick up the stunt.

it’s old, it’s stale, it works for 3/4 of the game every week. It’s not a coincidence, this defense works with a certain talent level but it falls apart BY DESIGN.

nothing happens this consistently by coincidence.
Preach man, preach.

marklar

Pro Bowler
The defense is the reason for this win. But every weekit feels hard to praise that side of the ball; there is always that caveat that they allowed 2-3 really silly blown plays. I guess that is who they are this year.

I expected nothing from the offense and got a bit more than that, so canot be too upset.Huntley is an ok backup, and already much better than Griffin was for the last few years. Freeman almost broke a couple of runs, but also looked bad on some. At least he delivered when we needed itmost. Murry is the most one-dimensional bak ever. He's not horrible, but goddamn is he predictable

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think partly too that the guys we have on the backend just arent that good blitzing - chuck's a decent blitzer but elliott and tavon young are great blitzers but with no corners we werent blitzing tavon much and without elliott we dont have a good blitzer there at safety

it's not just about the scheme - i think we no longer have the personnel to be successful consistently with those blitzes - if you're gonna run them then you have to get home quickly and make sure the free man makes it - we're not doing that right now

also worth pointing out that houston, oweh and bowser are all consistently winning in 4 man rush scenarios - it makes sense to play to that strength when the initial strength of this defence (the coverage) has been decimated[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Had almost zero interest in watching the game after I found out Lamar was going to play, but I said fuck it. Huntley, under these circumstances, played very well. INT was on Andrews. Led us on 2 go-ahead drives.

Defense. Welp, they continue to give up big plays in inopportune times and it'll only continue. @JoeyFlex5 perfectly encapsulates my thoughts on Wink. It's not the blitzing that bothers me. It's the "when" for me. How about be less predictable?

And we finally stood to our abuser: Andy Dalton. Tbh, we actually did so in 4 of the last 5 times we played him including today.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
When i saw the Red headed Stepchild warming up after Fields got knocked out ,I immediately went to the liquor cabinet and pulled out the strongest liquor I could find. Before I could take a fucking sip ,Dalton had thrown a pass in the flat for a score. I knew it was gonna happen.

Surprisingly though the D handled him pretty well after that.

Bravo to our D and Huntley for making a few key plays to win the game.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The best Wink call of the night was rushing 4 players on the last play. If he would have did another 0 man passrush!? :blobfire: .

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
When i saw the Red headed Stepchild warming up after Fields got knocked out ,I immediately went to the liquor cabinet and pulled out the strongest liquor I could find. Before I could take a fucking sip ,Dalton had thrown a pass in the flat for a score. I knew it was gonna happen.

Surprisingly though the D handled him pretty well after that.

Bravo to our D and Huntley for making a few key plays to win the game.

Same here. I didn't want a different strawberry.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's young and he made a mistake in a big spot
none of us gave up on stephens after he screwed up last week either?

and westry played well on so many other plays

he had a poor snap and he's gonna hate watching it on the film tomorrow (maybe even on the plane home) but it was a tough spot and he screwed up but it shouldnt negate the good work he did do

I would go a step further. He is what the 6th or 7th CB on the Ravens but is now playing because 3 others are out with injury. How good can you expect the bottom of your depth chart to really be?