• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 OL Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@Edgar in your mock you listed Tyler smith as an OT, do you think he could play outside in the nfl? I think he’s a worthwhile pick in the second as a guard, no need to force him to T where I think he’s a little leadfooted for edge rushers, as a G his feet are outstanding and I think you’re taking away some of his best potential if you move him out. Just tryna get your thoughts on it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Edgar in your mock you listed Tyler smith as an OT, do you think he could play outside in the nfl? I think he’s a worthwhile pick in the second as a guard, no need to force him to T where I think he’s a little leadfooted for edge rushers, as a G his feet are outstanding and I think you’re taking away some of his best potential if you move him out. Just tryna get your thoughts on it

im not edgar obviously lol

but i think he's a tackle - or at least i think he's a tackle first - he looks like he's got quick, light feet to me - he's got an awful first kick out of his stance that means he opens his hips up too early when pass setting but that's a technical issue rather than an athletic one (at least that's what im seeing) - needs a fair amount of refinement (especially with his hands) but he looks like a tackle to me

ill put it this way, if he's not a tackle then idk that penning is either...

he probably does have guard flexibility but i dont see any limitation to him that means he cant or shouldnt play tackle

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im not edgar obviously lol

but i think he's a tackle - or at least i think he's a tackle first - he looks like he's got quick, light feet to me - he's got an awful first kick out of his stance that means he opens his hips up too early when pass setting but that's a technical issue rather than an athletic one (at least that's what im seeing) - needs a fair amount of refinement (especially with his hands) but he looks like a tackle to me

ill put it this way, if he's not a tackle then idk that penning is either...

he probably does have guard flexibility but i dont see any limitation to him that means he cant or shouldnt play tackle
Idk I feel like I’m just seeing feet that aren’t quite there for a tackle, I don’t really see what you’re saying but I guess everything’s open to interpretation

Simba

Staff Member
Idk I feel like I’m just seeing feet that aren’t quite there for a tackle, I don’t really see what you’re saying but I guess everything’s open to interpretation

Like rossi, I feel he's also one of the premiere athletic Ts in this draft. Technique and a lot of the other stuff is a mess and is going to require a lot of coaching, but he's got a shit ton of the natural ability to stick on the outside.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think if we took him we would start him at RT straight away. I think his main problem outside would have more to do with his hands. For whatever reason it seems a lot of colleges must be coaching a "catch" technique more these days and he ends up giving up his chest and getting moved. I like his athleticism generally outside but I take your point.

Definitely be ok with him at LG in round two. Allow Ben to move back to RG even if he sits a year behind Zeitler. A year from now, we have some serious run blocking body movers at guard. I like Smith better in general, even if at guard, better than I like most of the Tackles in round two and assume he's our RT if we take him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Aidan Hutchinson just said the toughest guy he played against was Rasheed Walker - and i think i'd probably agree with him based on the tape (he also said the ohio state guys too but i dont believe that for a second with the way he whooped them lol)
I said weeks ago that performance was being seriously slept on. He had an awesome game against both him and ojabo

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ain’t none of y’all put me on to cole strange?? I thought I was cool with y’all but not one of y’all told me about cole strange and that’s wack

ain’t none of y’all put me on to cole strange?? I thought I was cool with y’all but not one of y’all told me about cole strange and that’s wack

He looks like a late day 2 early day 3 type to me - he did well at the senior bowl for sure

I don’t proclaim to be a scout of any degree lol I just wasn’t enticed by what I watched tbh. What do you guys like about him?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t proclaim to be a scout of any degree lol I just wasn’t enticed by what I watched tbh. What do you guys like about him?

i havent done proper study of him to be confident yet but i like this scouting report from brandon thorn:

specifically i like the way he moves his feet at the point of attack when blocking
and what i really liked about him in the senior bowl was that often he'd lose the first rep against one of these power 5 guys and then in the next rep he'd adjust and stonewall them based off that first experience - that did, however, also suggest to me that he isnt some quinn meinerz small school wunderkind who's going to be instantly ready to step up from small school to big leagues