• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 LB Thread

Simba

Staff Member
i keep seeing lots of people really high on him - and i like him - i just dont know that i see the same athleticism that everyone seems to talk about
i think it's probably fair to think his best football is probably still ahead of him (which despite georgia's amazing defence last year you can probably say that about the vast majority of their defensive players)

but when i see people get hyped about quay walker and what they say about him, it makes me think much more of damone clark than quay

dont get me wrong - i dont hate him - i guess i just dont see the eye-popping athleticism that his tape suggests he has - he's more smooth than explosive which obviously has value especially with regards to sideline-to-sideline range and he has lots of positive attributes but i see him as more of a late 2nd round/early 3rd round type of guy than the borderline 1st rounder i see some talk about

happy to be convinced otherwise - he's the kind of dude i really want to like a lot - was there any specific game that stood out to you? or a trait/skill that elevated him for you?
I’m a stack and shed linebacker type of guy and I think he does that so well. I’m not one that puts him in that uber athletic category like some but I think there’s plenty enough there that compliments his other skills. Definitely some level of expecting him to continue to grow as well, but I love a guy that can disengage do easily.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m a stack and shed linebacker type of guy and I think he does that so well. I’m not one that puts him in that uber athletic category like some but I think there’s plenty enough there that compliments his other skills. Definitely some level of expecting him to continue to grow as well, but I love a guy that can disengage do easily.

cool - i think we're probably seeing the same thing but maybe valuing it differently?

then again partly it's about perception - one of my favourite anecdotes from DJ this whole draft period was about his initial conversation with a GM about DeMarvin Leal where they were talking about him and DJ was talking about how he wasnt really sure about him and the GM said he liked him and so they discussed Leal and were agreeing with each other about what they liked and didnt like about him and so DJ was confused and finally asked him "where do you see him going? where have you got him graded?" and the GM answered that he had him in the 2nd round somewhere and DJ agreed with that too

DJ's initial perception of Leal was massively warped by the pre-process hype that had him in and around the top 10 that in his mind that was what "liked" meant whereas the GM without that exposure to early mocks and groupthink had no idea and just saw a guy he liked and would happily take somewhere on day 2

that said, right now, for me Quay's LB 5 and i've still got some highly-touted ones to go (Chad Muma, Troy Anderson and a few others) so we'll see if any of those guys interrupt those rankings

right now I've got

Lloyd
Dean
Clark (will probably drop due to a spinal thing that turned up at the combine that may well knock him out for his rookie year albeit isnt expected to impact his long-term career)
Harris
Walker

i've flip-flopped a few times with harris and walker based on how much i value different aspects of LB play and ideas about fit too with the ravens

Simba

Staff Member
cool - i think we're probably seeing the same thing but maybe valuing it differently?

then again partly it's about perception - one of my favourite anecdotes from DJ this whole draft period was about his initial conversation with a GM about DeMarvin Leal where they were talking about him and DJ was talking about how he wasnt really sure about him and the GM said he liked him and so they discussed Leal and were agreeing with each other about what they liked and didnt like about him and so DJ was confused and finally asked him "where do you see him going? where have you got him graded?" and the GM answered that he had him in the 2nd round somewhere and DJ agreed with that too

DJ's initial perception of Leal was massively warped by the pre-process hype that had him in and around the top 10 that in his mind that was what "liked" meant whereas the GM without that exposure to early mocks and groupthink had no idea and just saw a guy he liked and would happily take somewhere on day 2

that said, right now, for me Quay's LB 5 and i've still got some highly-touted ones to go (Chad Muma, Troy Anderson and a few others) so we'll see if any of those guys interrupt those rankings

right now I've got

Lloyd
Dean
Clark (will probably drop due to a spinal thing that turned up at the combine that may well knock him out for his rookie year albeit isnt expected to impact his long-term career)
Harris
Walker

i've flip-flopped a few times with harris and walker based on how much i value different aspects of LB play and ideas about fit too with the ravens
Yeah I can see that being the case. I certainly value the athleticism but I like some of the other things he does well too. Think he's one of the more well rounded guys and I probably place higher value on things like that. For what it's worth, Lloyd is my only round 1 LB, with Walker and Dean on that borderline and then a bunch in round 2. To me, LB is one of those positions that's very closely coupled for a good bit on day 2 this year. Wouldn't be shocked if a team that drafts someone early on day 2 could also find something eerily similar in mid round 3.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I can see that being the case. I certainly value the athleticism but I like some of the other things he does well too. Think he's one of the more well rounded guys and I probably place higher value on things like that. For what it's worth, Lloyd is my only round 1 LB, with Walker and Dean on that borderline and then a bunch in round 2. To me, LB is one of those positions that's very closely coupled for a good bit on day 2 this year. Wouldn't be shocked if a team that drafts someone early on day 2 could also find something eerily similar in mid round 3.

im 100% with you on only having lloyd in day 1 and no one else
got dean early-ish in the 2nd and then clark, harris and walker somewhere early-to-mid day 2