• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Grit, The "C" Team and The Endless Bloody Injuries

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

fwiw Hollywood liked this tweet too

so yeah i guess im doing the insecure high school gf/bf thing lmaooo

I was just gonna say. I'm not even sure that we even tried to go deep because we wanted to keep the playbook similar.

*triggering flashbacks from last week in CLE when he overthrew Hollywood not once but TWICE :envy:*

Correct, in my opinion, it's an irrelevant decision.
However, in my scenario, all I said was they'd get in FG range, not make the kick.

What's the outcome of the game if they miss the kick? If we're up 1, we win. If we're tied, we still need about 2-3 different things to happen for us even to win, including, most likely, literally winning a coin flip.

Yet another reason why going for it makes tons of sense.

I will go to my grave never understanding why people think kicking the PAT gives us a better chance to win than converting two freaking yards. I don't even understand the people who think kicking the PAT even gets us to OT. That doesn't make sense to me either.
I’ve thought about this allot since last night. To your point about even getting to OT Is irrelevant. The point is you have chance right there to win the game vs. maybe NOT getting that opportunity in OT. When you think it about it in those terms there is really NO other decision to make.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve thought about this allot since last night. To your point about even getting to OT Is irrelevant. The point is you have chance right there to win the game vs. maybe NOT getting that opportunity in OT. When you think it about it in those terms there is really NO other decision to make.
Correct.

There is a quite high probability that kicking the PAT there is the absolute last time your team will be in a position to score points for the rest of the game. Literally.

Packers will run out the clock in regulation, either by winning or not, and if they win the coin toss in OT, they could easily go the length of the field and score a TD to win... something they had done four different times on the day. And in those situations, there's nothing Huntley or the offense, which kept you in the game, can do about it. We're banking on practice squad elevations to win the game for us, basically.

Too many things have to go our way to win a game by kicking a PAT.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Correct, in my opinion, it's an irrelevant decision.
However, in my scenario, all I said was they'd get in FG range, not make the kick.

What's the outcome of the game if they miss the kick? If we're up 1, we win. If we're tied, we still need about 2-3 different things to happen for us even to win, including, most likely, literally winning a coin flip.

Yet another reason why going for it makes tons of sense.

I will go to my grave never understanding why people think kicking the PAT gives us a better chance to win than converting two freaking yards. I don't even understand the people who think kicking the PAT even gets us to OT. That doesn't make sense to me either.
definitely have more than 50% chance of getting 2 yards than winning the coin flip and then marching the full length of the field. No question about it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I was just gonna say. I'm not even sure that we even tried to go deep because we wanted to keep the playbook similar.

*triggering flashbacks from last week in CLE when he overthrew Hollywood not once but TWICE :envy:*
Huntley just doesn't have the arm for it. He did the same thing in the Bears game.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean it's a fair response to the questions that came up again today from people suggesting huntley be the starter

and he's not poking holes in huntley for the sake of nitpicking - just illustrating why it is that he's not a starter and maybe wont ever be

and that that's fine - huntley doesnt have to be amazing to be a good backup for us - that doesnt mean he's devoid of criticism in the same way that lamar's not devoid of criticism

I’m not going to defend fans asking for Huntley to start or the fans thinking we’re about to get a first in return for a trade. Neither is happening. However, There are clearly some folks who would rather Huntley/ the team fail so they can have that ammo to shoot down a few rogue Raven “ there’s a Qb controversy” fans. It gets old , i lump those sad sacks into the same group of fans that want to tank for draft picks. Most teams that lose their starting Qb are done, we’ve been very competitive and it’s awesome.

I’m not saying Huntley is beyond criticism. Let’s just be fair and remember he is a UDF, making his second start, behind a make shift O line. What more can you really ask of the kid? He played really well yesterday. Again I get it, some folks are upset people are shitting on Lamar and saying crazy things. Who cares , Lamar isn’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Now for those who want to question whether John made the right call in going for two, you're actually looking at the wrong call all together...
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ravens-2-point-conversion-analytics-packers-005823164.html

The REAL question is do you go for two, down 31-23, with under 5 minutes to go. Analytically, you should go for two. John didn't.

this is the point - especially if you know you're going for 2 down 7 at the end if that's the case - then the better decision is to go for it on the 1st td

Correct.

There is a quite high probability that kicking the PAT there is the absolute last time your team will be in a position to score points for the rest of the game. Literally.

Packers will run out the clock in regulation, either by winning or not, and if they win the coin toss in OT, they could easily go the length of the field and score a TD to win... something they had done four different times on the day. And in those situations, there's nothing Huntley or the offense, which kept you in the game, can do about it. We're banking on practice squad elevations to win the game for us, basically.

Too many things have to go our way to win a game by kicking a PAT.
This is very well put. Frankly, I already had a sinking feeling when Huntley ran it in with 40 seconds to go. PAT or 2-point aside, I think with 40 seconds and a timeout in a clutch situation against a 3rd string secondary, Rodgers and Adams would go the distance. Letting us score with time still on the clock would have been a smart play for the Packers.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In your scenario of us losing no matter what, who cares if we go up by 1 or play for OT? One point means nothing if they get 3

because it's more likely you get 1 stop than it is you get 2
if you're going to lose in OT (which Harbs by all accounts basically admitted he thought we would have) - then better to put yourself in the position to win in regulation - if we stop them on that drive then better that it's for the win than for overtime - and if we cant stop them then it's meaningless anyway

One thing that impressed me with Huntley in particular last night was his decision making. He seemed to have a good balance between making the throw that was schemed for him, checking down, or taking off to run. I think he'd start to struggle if he had to start for a long stretch and teams got more tape on him because of his limitations, but the way he's come in and kept the team competitive is really impressive.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
However, There are clearly some folks who would rather Huntley/ the team fail so they can have that ammo to shoot down a few rogue Raven “ there’s a Qb controversy” fans
I haven't gotten that impression at all, at least not from PF. I wouldn't be surprised if there were those people on reddit/twitter/fb though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One thing that impressed me with Huntley in particular last night was his decision making. He seemed to have a good balance between making the throw that was schemed for him, checking down, or taking off to run. I think he'd start to struggle if he had to start for a long stretch and teams got more tape on him because of his limitations, but the way he's come in and kept the team competitive is really impressive.

when it was quick game stuff and he didnt have to go beyond his 2nd read and when they were able to give him reads in his vision he was really decisive - i did really like the 1 and 2 step drops and quick passes to take the easy 4/5 yards especially on 1st down

i think the issues would/will come if the packers were consistently able to take his first couple of reads away and force him to either consistently checkdown for minimal game or scramble around and hope

we definitely got the benefit of jaire alexander not being back yet

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Aikman said on a couple occasions that it is the same offense for Lamar and it absolutely is not. It would be nice to have more plays like we had today for Lamar, especially slants so we can beat the blitz.

Aikman said on a couple occasions that it is the same offense for Lamar and it absolutely is not. It would be nice to have more plays like we had today for Lamar, especially slants so we can beat the blitz.
I fully agree with this. If you can be effective with a simple scheme then you should. Just because Lamar *can* do more doesn't mean you have to make him do it.