• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Grit, The "C" Team and The Endless Bloody Injuries

Tank

Hall of Famer
Aikman said on a couple occasions that it is the same offense for Lamar and it absolutely is not. It would be nice to have more plays like we had today for Lamar, especially slants so we can beat the blitz.
I think it is the same offense, just different reads from different QBs. Definitely something Lamar needs to improve upon, can't go for the home run ball every play, have to take what the D is giving you even if it does pick up only 5 or 6 yards.

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I fully agree with this. If you can be effective with a simple scheme then you should. Just because Lamar *can* do more doesn't mean you have to make him do it.
If Andrews keeps playing like he has, there is no reason to get complex . Get him the damn ball. They should have used him as a decoy though on the 2 point try. Hollywood was open.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
the mistake is not taking the 3 points of the first unit, dominating so long so as not to take anything with Rodgers in front ...
yes, it would have probably changed the whole game, but those 3 points had to be taken

rossihunter2

Staff Member
*doesn't mean you have to make him do it every time*

this offence was on fire earlier in the season because Lamar was aggressive and because the ravens were able to stay out of 3rd down (for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season we were the best 1st and 2nd down offence in the league and lamar was leading the league in average depth of target and YPA)

but when that got taken away we needed the ability to go to the change up - part of our issue with zero blitzes this year is that historically we've been a poor YAC team and that's continued despite now having the kind of talent that can get YAC... andrews, bateman, duvernay, watkins are all guys who have the ability to get yac but we've mostly targeted hollywood in the short game who's great getting upfield in space but not going to break any tackles

the mistake is not taking the 3 points of the first unit, dominating so long so as not to take anything with Rodgers in front ...
yes, it would have probably changed the whole game, but those 3 points had to be taken
The reality is that 3 points or not on the first drive is entirely irrelevant to how the game played out. We forced them 3 and out and then went and scored a touchdown anyway.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yes, this ended up being a mistake but I was for it at the time. I also agree it would have changed the game, especially the next drive where the Packers got the ball on the 6 yard line.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think it is the same offense, just different reads from different QBs. Definitely something Lamar needs to improve upon, can't go for the home run ball every paly, have o take what the D is giving you even if it does only pick up 5 or 6 yards.

i mean the receivers were running completely different routes and the reads were completely different

we used a ton of quick game with short QB drops which we basically never do with lamar at QB

passing offence at least was completely different

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
this offence was on fire earlier in the season because Lamar was aggressive and because the ravens were able to stay out of 3rd down (for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season we were the best 1st and 2nd down offence in the league and lamar was leading the league in average depth of target and YPA)

but when that got taken away we needed the ability to go to the change up - part of our issue with zero blitzes this year is that historically we've been a poor YAC team and that's continued despite now having the kind of talent that can get YAC... andrews, bateman, duvernay, watkins are all guys who have the ability to get yac but we've mostly targeted hollywood in the short game who's great getting upfield in space but not going to break any tackles

Yeah definitely. We gotta see if we can use some simpler stuff to keep things honest and then Lamar should be able to challenge them vertically

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
and this is the kind of stuff where i do think that maybe we need a bit of a fresh mindset to come in and change the offensive system somewhat
this is where Roman is so slow in adjusting his play calling. He seems to only do it when he has to. I still believe we need fresh blood in here, even if that coach is on the team.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
and this is the kind of stuff where i do think that maybe we need a bit of a fresh mindset to come in and change the offensive system somewhat

Yeah I'm not sure GRo is improving. He's certainly not bad, but he definitely has flaws. I actually have come to think though the most important thing is to keep improving. I'm pretty sure he's at his ceiling

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
The reality is that 3 points or not on the first drive is entirely irrelevant to how the game played out. We forced them 3 and out and then went and scored a touchdown anyway.

I disagree, having the ball for 9 minutes, walking around the field, 3 points was the lowest prize, but we all know that the best possibility to beat Rodgers is to score every moment, to keep him off the court.
At a mental / emotional level, it is not the same that they slow you down at 4 to that you convert 3 points.
In my view, this is more of an error than going for the 2 points.
and I would have kicked fg and played it at OT ..

Tank

Hall of Famer
i mean the receivers were running completely different routes and the reads were completely different

we used a ton of quick game with short QB drops which we basically never do with lamar at QB

passing offence at least was completely different
Haven't analyzed every play from yesterday but I can say that in the past there have been a multitude of plays where short quick routes were there but the choice was made to try to force the ball down field. Lamar needs to learn to take what the D is giving him. Every play doesn't need to be a home run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I'm not sure GRo is improving. He's certainly not bad, but he definitely has flaws. I actually have come to think though the most important thing is to keep improving. I'm pretty sure he's at his ceiling

i just think what's frustrating (with wink somewhat as well) is that he's shown the ability to adjust his gameplan, design and playcalling when we're significantly under-manned to take advantage and simplify some stuff to create effective offence despite various difficult circumstances...

but then takes none of the lessons from those experiences - when we get back enough personnel he goes back to the base offence that either works or doesnt work