• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pick 2 players any era

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
To place on the ravens team. Pick 2 players not a QB from any era. This is a tough decision for me. I really like Terrell Davis and Terrell Owens as playmakers. And JJ Watt and Ray Lewis as defensive destroyers. However I'm going with Jonathan Ogden and Larry Allen.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Mike Webster
Calvin Johnson

No pun intended but in my opinion Calvin Johnson was a touch overrated. He was credited with the success of the QB. But he never did much until the QB was drafted. Stanford was supposed to be average without Johnson. But the opposite happened when he was no longer forcing throws to Johnson. And at 29 years old he already was not the same player.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No pun intended but in my opinion Calvin Johnson was a touch overrated. He was credited with the success of the QB. But he never did much until the QB was drafted. Stanford was supposed to be average without Johnson. But the opposite happened when he was no longer forcing throws to Johnson. And at 29 years old he already was not the same player.
Megatron was extremely raw coming out of college, he took time to develop. And I don't think you can blame staffords struggles on him, it's a common theme for qbs to be inconsistent when they have a superstar wr of that caliber because they lean on them so heavily. I don't think stafford forcing throws to Calvin Johnson is an indictment on Calvin Johnson, nor do I think his leaving suddenly made their team better. It just forced stafford to spread the ball around which is always a more effective means of offense. And the lions didn't have a second wr while Calvin was there, they leaned on him for a reason, if he had a Marvin jones opposite of him and stafford looked his way on occasion then megatron would've looked that much better.
[doublepost=1494418150,1494418067][/doublepost]And i would like Calvin Johnson specifically for joe flacco to throw to. Probably more than any wr. I want flacco to have a wide radius to hit

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jerry Rice
Deion Sanders

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
To place on the ravens team. Pick 2 players not a QB from any era. This is a tough decision for me. I really like Terrell Davis and Terrell Owens as playmakers. And JJ Watt and Ray Lewis as defensive destroyers. However I'm going with Jonathan Ogden and Larry Allen.
Are you asking to pick two offensive and two defensive player or just two non qbs, because If you were choosing only two, you need to pick two yourself from the four you just chose.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jim Brown is the best running back I have ever seen. He had speed and he had power. He had the ability to take over a game and carry the Browns to victory.

In my opinion the best of all time is Johnny Unitas. He led the Baltimore Colts to world championships. He called his own plays. His statistics are incredible when you consider how different the game was played back then when offensive players did not get protected by the rules like they do today. Johnny Unitas was truly great and I am lucky I got to see him play.
Yeah, brown was a man against boys back then. The qbs back the were all calling their plays. They were much more cerebral. Of course Peyton Manning would call his own plays, yes from a selection, but he could call them. Tom Brady does as well, but it's still not like it was back them. Anyway, he asked for non qbs
[doublepost=1494421408,1494421279][/doublepost]
Deion tackled.....EVERY BILL THAT HIS MOTHER GAVE HIM! :D
I still remember the commercial they had when Jerry Jones signed Deion. His contract was for 35m. It was Jerry Jones and Deion in the commercial and he kept asking him are you going to take 15m or 20m and he said both. Don't remember what the commercial was about though. Lol

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Are you asking to pick two offensive and two defensive player or just two non qbs, because If you were choosing only two, you need to pick two yourself from the four you just chose.

Sledge did choose.....Jonathan Ogden and Larry Allen. :D

Tiz

Practice Squad
Offensively:
Jerry rice and Walter Payton

Defensively:
Reggie white and deacon jones

If just two overall then
Jerry and reggie

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Yeah, brown was a man against boys back then. The qbs back the were all calling their plays. They were much more cerebral. Of course Peyton Manning would call his own plays, yes from a selection, but he could call them. Tom Brady does as well, but it's still not like it was back them. Anyway, he asked for non qbs
[doublepost=1494421408,1494421279][/doublepost]
I still remember the commercial they had when Jerry Jones signed Deion. His contract was for 35m. It was Jerry Jones and Deion in the commercial and he kept asking him are you going to take 15m or 20m and he said both. Don't remember what the commercial was about though. Lol
Sorry I missed the no QB request. My bad. I deleted the post.

Last edited:

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Offense : Randy Moss & Barry Sanders
We know Barry can run regardless of oline talent, the defense focuses on him, Moss goes deep.

Defense: Lawrence Taylor & Ronnie Lott

LT transforms any defense with his pass rushing ability. Ronnie Lott can play Corner Safety at an All Pro level and will have everyone on the defense lined up and accountable at all times.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Seeing lots of good combos here with very good reasoning behind it. However Ogden and Allen are the players I would begin the dynasty with. Taliaferro becomes Barry Sanders with Ogden/Allen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Seeing lots of good combos here with very good reasoning behind it. However Ogden and Allen are the players I would begin the dynasty with. Taliaferro becomes Barry Sanders with Ogden/Allen
imagine Ogden and Ronnie Stanley on the same team... does ronnie stanley go to right tackle in this situation?
christ, a line of Ogden-Allen-(Anyone)-Yanda-Stanley would be unbelievable