• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Marlon Humphrey Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I love how literally nothing has happened in this situation yet and it’s devolved into an utter shitshow still.

This is better drama than reality TV.

Well done Marlon. You have yourself a career after this. Feel free to steal my phone charger anytime.

“Marlon steals everything”. Quite catchy

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
What? The Sun article says that the University of Alabama Police went to Humph’s room and he was holding the charger and noticed that it did not fit his phone so they gave it to the driver. That goes against every rule of law I was ever taught as a police officer. So they got on the scene and the driver said Hump stole a charger, then they find the possible evidence in Humph’s hand giving them probable cause for the arrest, but instead of seizing the evidence and submitting it for their court case, they give it back to the complainant. That is a defense attorney’s dream. They don’t even have to have a suppression hearing to suppress the evidence because there is no evidence. So at the Preliminary Hearing when they say they charged Humph with theft (or in this weak case -robbery) based on the evidence they found Humph holding, the defense attorney says, “Officer show me this evidence.” Officer responds, “I don’t have it, I gave it to the Uber driver.” Attorney looks at the Judge and says, “Your Honor, I make a motion to have this case dismissed based on lack of evidence.” Judge says, “Case dismissed.”

If the Uber driver says, all I want is my charger back, then as a police officer - you get the charger back to the driver and let Humph get busy with his ladies.

If the Sun article is correct, based off the police report, then you may as well change this thread to “Marlon Humphrey Inconvenienced by the University of Alabama Police Department.” lol

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What? The Sun article says that the University of Alabama Police went to Humph’s room and he was holding the charger and noticed that it did not fit his phone so they gave it to the driver. That goes against every rule of law I was ever taught as a police officer. So they got on the scene and the driver said Hump stole a charger, then they find the possible evidence in Humph’s hand giving them probable cause for the arrest, but instead of seizing the evidence and submitting it for their court case, they give it back to the complainant. That is a defense attorney’s dream. They don’t even have to have a suppression hearing to suppress the evidence because there is no evidence. So at the Preliminary Hearing when they say they charged Humph with theft (or in this weak case -robbery) based on the evidence they found Humph holding, the defense attorney says, “Officer show me this evidence.” Officer responds, “I don’t have it, I gave it to the Uber driver.” Attorney looks at the Judge and says, “Your Honor, I make a motion to have this case dismissed based on lack of evidence.” Judge says, “Case dismissed.”

Bama
- there's a reason lardarius webb immediately tweeted at marlon to graduate and never go back...

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

If the Uber driver says, all I want is my charger back, then as a police officer - you get the charger back to the driver and let Humph get busy with his ladies.

If the Sun article is correct, based off the police report, then you may as well change this thread to “Marlon Humphrey Inconvenienced by the University of Alabama Police Department.” lol
Is University of Alabama Police Department real police or they're just called police?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Except there was force used. Or else police woulda returned the charger and that’s the end of it

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Is University of Alabama Police Department real police or they're just called police?
No they are real police, if they weren’t they would have no powers to make an arrest and Humph could sue them in civil court for false arrest and could seek a charging document from a court commissioner against the arresting officer for false imprisionment.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
No they are real police, if they weren’t they would have no powers to make an arrest and Humph could sue them in civil court for false arrest and could seek a charging document from a court commissioner against the arresting officer for false imprisionment.
So how can they be so incompetent?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Except there was force used. Or else police woulda returned the charger and that’s the end of it

there was force used... allegedly... and even then there are no injuries to corroborate and the uber driver described at as being pushed with an elbow...

unless im mistaken and judicial system of the western world has turned upside down and back to front the burden of proof is on the police and the uber driver not marlon

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I get the strong arm robbery aspect of the charge, but you do understand the police can’t seize evidence from one person and give it to another. Once police seize evidence the court determines who gets it back unless it is contraband, which gets destroyed.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
So how can they be so incompetent?
If the Sun article was accurate, then I am shocked and I can’t answer that question. Since this has turned into a higher profile case, they are going to get embarrassed. I would love to know how many years of service the arresting officer had, because he needs more training. I am surprised that the State’s Attorney did not see this mistake and if they did why they would up the charge from theft to robbery knowing the evidence is gone, since the chain of custody was broken.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
there was force used... allegedly... and even then there are no injuries to corroborate and the uber driver described at as being pushed with an elbow...

unless im mistaken and judicial system of the western world has turned upside down and back to front the burden of proof is on the police and the uber driver not marlon
There actually does not have to be any physical force used, the threat of force is all that is needed and it does not even have to be spoken. Marlon is a football player, all he would of had to do for a strong arm robbery is take the charger and give the guy a look like I dare you to do anything about it. The burden of proof is on the State to prove the guilt of a defendant beyond a reasonable doubt and to a moral certainty.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
There actually does not have to be any physical force used, the threat of force is all that is needed and it does not even have to be spoken. Marlon is a football player, all he would of had to do for a strong arm robbery is take the charger and give the guy a look like I dare you to do anything about it. The burden of proof is on the State to prove the guilt of a defendant beyond a reasonable doubt and to a moral certainty.
Even if the Uber driver is chiseled like Sledge Hammer?

flynismo

Practice Squad
fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccckkkkkkkk

That is all. Carry on.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
that was my point - there's no way with no physical evidence they could possibly prove force at all...
Well not exactly, you don’t need the evidence to prove your case for a strong arm robbery case. Suppose I roll up on an on-view where a complainant is flagging me down at the Inner Harbor and the complainant says Officer that big guy right there grabbed my forearm and used his other hand to force my I-Phone out of my hand but no visible injury is present. A witness says, yep I saw the whole thing. The suspect is holding a cell phone but before I can seize it, he throws it as far as he can into the harbor. I am not going to jump into the harbor to try and recover it. I can still lock up the suspect and if a judge believes the cell phone was the complainant’s and the witnesses convince the judge that the defendant used force, the defendant can be found guilty of robbery. If there were marks on the complainant’s hand or wrist even better. I get crime lab to respond. I get the marks photographed. I bring the photos, now evidence, to court and they get introduced and marked exhibit A, B, C, etc.

The problem for the State in Humph’s case is even if the charger is brought to court by the Uber Driver it cannot be entered into evidence because the chain of custody has been broken. So even if the officer identifies it as the exact same charger Humph had in his hand that he took, because let’s say it had a serial number on it and the officer wrote the serial number down before he gave it to the complainant and the complainant brings a receipt to show he bought the charger and the serial number is on the receipt. Chain of custody was still broken, evidence can’t be entered.

If chain of custody was not broken, and let’s say the Uber Driver and witnesses say Humph grabbed the charger by force and took it up to his hotel room and I go up to the hotel room and the charger was in the back bathroom and I ask Humph if I can check for the charger and he says no, and I arrest Humph for the robbery. I can only search his person, and his reach, lunge, or grasp (basically the immediate small area - not across the room) unless the bathroom door is open and the charger is in plain view on the countersink. I don’t need the charger to arrest Humph, because a felony does not need to happen in my presence to arrest. All I need is probable cause, which in Humph’s case can be derived by victims, witnesses, or informants. If I don’t have the charger as evidence to seize, it would be almost impossible for the State to prove its case against Humph just on the word of the victim without independent witnesses. But to complicate things even more, let’s say after Humph was released on bail he mailed the charger back to the victim and he turned it over to police and they properly followed custody procedures. The charger may still be entered into evidence, depending on if the Judge allowed it because chain of custody was not broken.

Seizure of evidence can get very complicated, you could fill ten warehouses with case law and still not have enough room, but not in Humph’s case - it is very easy. I put a lot of time into studying the fourth amendment.

I make one caveat to this case and that is video cameras are everywhere. At Humph’s preliminary hearing, the State could say we have been investigating this case and we found this video showing the defendant balling his fist at the victim, after he appeared to be pointing to the charger in the defendant’s hand.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I make one caveat to this case and that is video cameras are everywhere. At Humph’s preliminary hearing, the State could say we have been investigating this case and we found this video showing the defendant balling his fist at the victim, after he appeared to be pointing to the charger in the defendant’s hand.

Thanks for clarifying

I don’t think the above is likely though given that marlons lawyer already seems to have suggested they have eyewitnesses that confirm his account

Status
Not open for further replies.