• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Flex's "non-personal" mock

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Seeing a tall guard with iffy footwork that relies on power just worries me at the NFL level. He's not going to be able to bully NFL DTs with just pure strength.
Lol that is practically word for word how I'm explaining to people that I think he'll be available at this point
Ragnow is a center. He's exceptionally athletic...Could you guys define on tape where you think his footwork is a little, "iffy"?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ragnow is a center. He's exceptionally athletic...Could you guys define on tape where you think his footwork is a little, "iffy"?
He gets stationary and plants his feet in run blocking. A good strong lateral move from a NFL DT will have him stumbling and holding if he plays like that. You can't do that when you're blocking in space, in a tight pocket you can anchor down and plant your feet sometimes if you have slowed down the rusher enough, but when you're run blocking in space you have to keep your feet moving or you seriously risk getting blown right by because you can bet your ass that defenders feet are moving, and he's looking to get around you, not through you, planted feet ruin your chance at blocking a lateral move.

It's fixable, but enough of a problem to bring him down a notch.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He gets stationary and plants his feet in run blocking. A good strong lateral move from a NFL DT will have him stumbling and holding if he plays like that. You can't do that when you're blocking in space, in a tight pocket you can anchor down and plant your feet sometimes if you have slowed down the rusher enough, but when you're run blocking in space you have to keep your feet moving or you seriously risk getting blown right by because you can bet your ass that defenders feet are moving, and he's looking to get around you, not through you, planted feet ruin your chance at blocking a lateral move.

It's fixable, but enough of a problem to bring him down a notch.
This is literally the only qualm I have about him on tape....that he sometimes stops his feet. It's certainly fixable. He is ridiculously athletic in space....given up 0 sacks in 41 games...something like four pressures.
He's a day one starter at the position... I hope you're right that he's available in the third. I can't imagine him there for our compensatory however.

Any word we might receive further compensatory picks?....Jzuyschek?

arnie_uk

Veteran
Only reason I mock the full first round is to justify my pick being available. This isn't meant to be some NFL wide mock offseason. It's still 2 months out from FA and 4 months out from the draft.

Can you stop telling me how shit needs to be done? I do every mock like this, and literally this is the only time someone has complained that I didn't focus on another teams FA process.

I'll adjust the shit once FA happens to account for the signings as any sane person would.
Im not telling you how do to anything. I asked where cousins lands in your mind when you done this because he is the one major player that can have a massive ripple effect.

He'll change the outlook of the draft entirely depending on where he lands.

Its probably the biggest fa since manning. Average, let alone good qbs rarely hit free agency and you said in their pick that washington is replacing him so clearly you thought he was leaving yet all the top teams drafted qbs.

Hence asking where cousins is playing in your mind when you done this

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Im not telling you how do to anything. I asked where cousins lands in your mind when you done this because he is the one major player that can have a massive ripple effect.

He'll change the outlook of the draft entirely depending on where he lands.

Its probably the biggest fa since manning. Average, let alone good qbs rarely hit free agency and you said in their pick that washington is replacing him so clearly you thought he was leaving yet all the top teams drafted qbs.

Hence asking where cousins is playing in your mind when you done this
I don't think Cousins is the only one. Who knows what will Vikings do (all 3 of their QBs are FAs). Chiefs are likely to have lot of interest for Smith trade, too.

arnie_uk

Veteran
I don't think Cousins is the only one. Who knows what will Vikings do (all 3 of their QBs are FAs). Chiefs are likely to have lot of interest for Smith trade, too.
I think in regards smith, if the browns sign him for example, would that stop them from drafting a qb high? Smiths career is nearing an end, either

He does very well and your playoff contenders and may not have a chance gpr a top qb for a few years or

He sucks and you wish you took a qb when you had the chance.

I think if you get smith you still draft a young star.

But if you take cousins you hitch your wagon to him. I mean he's better than flacco right now.

If the browns got him barkely and minkah they could make some noise

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If Nelson gets picked up before us that'd be the first time since 1992 a pure guard's gone that high, with the exception of Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack in that godawful 2013 class. I also wouldn't be surprised to see McGlinchey go higher than Nelson when it's all said and done because teams are more eager to pull the trigger on a franchise LT than a franchise OG (three tackles went before those OGs in 2013) as well as guys like Ridley. And DeCastro got similar plaudits to Nelson back in 2012 and ended up going at 24.

With that said, I just can't bring myself to watch Quenton Nelson tape anymore, because every time I do I feel like he's going in the top 10 and it just makes me sad. The Bears just brought in Harry Hiestand as OL coach (he was the Notre Dame OL coach since 2012), so I feel like that's another potential landing spot for him.
Well if the Bears draft Nelson, that means Ridley has a chance to slide

stampedehero

Practice Squad
last mock was what i personally wanted, this one will be more what i see the ravens doing...

1. Browns - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.
2. Giants - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
3. Colts - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Bama
4. Browns - Sam Darnold, QB, USC
5. Broncos - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
6. Jets - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
7. Bucs - Bradley Chubb, DE, NC St.
8. Bears - Calvin Ridley, WR, Bama
9. 49ers - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
10. Raiders - Roquan Smith, LB, GA
11. Dolphins - Rashaan Evans, LB, Bama
12. Bengals - Quenton Nelson, G, ND
13. Redskins - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming(gotta move on from cousins, snyder is prone to knee jerk moves)
14. Packers - Arden Key, LSU
15. Cardinals - Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa(aside from pat pete they have a weak cb corps, pairing a top flight corner with pat pete and their safety tandem gives them a fierce secondary with no weak links, also, no qb or pass rusher here of value)
16. Ravens - Mike McGlinchey, OT, ND
MMcGlinchey.jpg

not only the best available at a position of need, but probably the flat out best player available, and also at a huge position of need. i havent even watched much of this kid because i was sold so quickly LAST year. He can play LT at a very high level, but we wont even ask that of him, he will play RT for us and be perhaps the best in the league. he run blocks with power, finesse, and attitude. in pass protection he is a stonewall, he mans up and gives up no ground with a great anchor, elite kickstep to win every snap in the first step, light feet, long arms, and as smart as they come with assignments and pickups, he just doesnt get fooled on stunts and blitzes. he slides to us for 2 reasons: the teams picking early are taking bigger more splashy talents, and the teams right ahead of us dont need OL very badly. this feels very realistic and even likely to me. if we re-sign jensen, then we have an OL of stanley-lewis-jensen-yanda-mcglinchey and goddamn that is nothing short of elite, we dominate any run scheme with that, and flacco had a surprisingly clean pocket last year but nothing like what he would have with this.

17. Chargers - Vita Vea, NT, Washington
18. Seahawks - Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
19. Cowboys - Derwin James, S, FSU
20. Lions - Billy Price, G/C, OSU
21. Bills - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
22. Bills - Denzel Ward, CB, OSU
23. Rams - Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn
24. Panthers - Isaiah Wynn, OL, GA(he has been rising in the media so his media value now matches his talent level. BPA at a position of huge need here. no quality first round WR/DE here)
25. Titans - Christian Kirk, WR, TA&M
26. Falcons - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Bama
27. Saints - Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
28. Steelers - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU(leveon bell is once again talking reckless, he always seems to be a suspension or injury away from missing games, the steelers may be moving on and guice fits the BPA mantra)
29. Jags - Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma(marcedes lewis cant play forever)
30. Vikings - Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
31. Eagles - Ronnie Harrison, S, Bama
32. Patriots - Sam Hubbard, DE, OSU

Round 2:
w640-ac174eb50189c51cc1e23f39a76732e6.jpg

James Washington, WR, OKSTU
this isnt my personal pick, this is what i imagine the ravens doing. This feels like a ravens pick. i strongly prefer ant miller, but i think he will be taken early 2nd, and i think the ravens would take washington over him anyway, pissing me off. although i have warmed up to washington a bit, i gave a in-depth list of traits and breakdown of him on the wr thread. with us taking mcglinchey we have an OL that allows us to use washington well, he gets miles of separation but he takes time to do it, needing to setup and let his route develop will be key, but he can be a consistent big play threat if the game plan is fitting. also, dallas goedert is gone by now.

Round 3:
gallup.jpg

Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado St.
this kid is starting to get some hype it seems, im seeing him pop up on different websites with write-ups and analysis, and its easy to see why. hes got very respectable size, a stout 6' with very long arms, he is a natural receiver, the route creativity comes naturally for this guy, he does what the route calls for, he drops the hips well and draws the db in close, and then makes his break sharp and sudden, getting quick separation. in the slant game he breaks sharp off the line and uses his sturdy frame and long arms and sure hands well to haul in passes in traffic and shield off defenders. he uses all the nuances you wanna see, his feet are always chopping making dbs uneasy, he sells with his head and shoulders, he gets in close and breaks away hard and fast, he isnt exactly fast but hes very sudden, and he plays physical. in short, hes a smaller school guy with a clear NFL talent level. he looks the part of a mid-tier #1, nothing mind blowing, but he should be able to get open and catch a lot of balls at every level of the field. were sick of not having weapons on offense, time to load up the same way we did on defense last year

Round 3 Comp.
09.30_Hogs_1A_0059_r600x400.jpg

Frank Ragnow, C, Ark.
college powerhouse center who needs to clean up his footwork and get more solid to keep playing at a high level in the NFL. he gets caught with his feet planted while run blocking at times, if he can get those feet churning he would be better off. his arms show a potential problem with fat/muscle ratio, if he is in good shape and bulks up a bit then he should be a very good player, a starter at either guard or center on many teams, but with us he waits in the wings as an excellent depth player, and when the alex lewis experiment inevitably fails, or if an interior player gets hurt, we have a starting caliber guy. he also has tackle length, it wouldnt shock me to see this guy get snaps at RT in a pinch if needed.

Round 4:
B+J+Hill+qpmBgr-I4zjm.jpg

BJ Hill, DT/5T, NC St.
obligatory ozzie DL pick, but this is more than obligatory... perhaps the most underrated need on this team was a legit 5T after losing brent urban, we need one badly and have needed one for years. Wormley may be our guy, but can we be sure of that? and since when do we ever feel comfortable with having only one player at a key position of a base package? even if wormley is a quality starter, this gives us another quality players at 5T and maybe even an upgrade over wormley. this is a massive man, with excellent power at the point of attack, good bullrush, surprising sidestep to disengage, but mostly just a big ass bully up front who plays with his head on a swivel and a nose for the football. he doesnt just disrupt, he generates push consistently, draws extra blockers, and finishes the play with shed-and-tackles. this guy also has NT/DT power and anchor, he can be an asset at the 0 or 3 on run downs if we wanna spell bwill and pierce to keep them from collapsing after week 10 like they always do. a lack of an explosive first step and speed keep this guy from going day 2, but he has plenty to like and a hell of a base to mold into a fine player.

Round 5:
Jordan+Akins+Chick+fil+Peach+Bowl+Auburn+v+kgHB-JSvR0Yl.jpg

Jordan Akins, TE, UCF
constant playmaking force at UCF, superb athlete, expected to measure in at only 6'3" but plays like hes 6'5" with his long limbs. he has soft hands, runs quality routes with suddenness and fluidity, eats up ground fast with long strides and gets off the line fast. just an all around athletic freak. also has a lot of experience playing out of the backfield in an H-back role similar to how we use maxx. to be honest i dont see why he is so slept on, he is never being mocked anywhere, and its criminal. this guy has loads of potential and could make whoever drafts him look like a genius.

Round 6:
vt_fb_brandon_facyson_2013_06_home.jpg

Brandon Facyson, CB, VT
hes 6'2" and plays that size. i didnt watch much, but what i did see was a high upside project that we have a ridiculous success rate with. we churn out high end corners like a fucking factory, this kinda guy is who we mold them out of. a whole lot like maurice canady, except less timid. he likes to swat the ball, what i saw of him he did it often, he is sloppy with the feet but his hips are suprisingly flexible, so i think footwork training will make this guy something solid. the build, and the mentality is there, he goes for the ball and knocks it down well, he also is an aggressive tackler. he could be an injury liability the way he throws himself around, but if he lucks out he could also just make some awesome tackles. drafting a guy like this every 1 or 2 years gives us a chance to keep quality depth across the board in our secondary and also gives us a chance at grooming a late rounder to a stud like we always seem to do. classic ravens cb project here.

Great work! Obviously you put much effort in this post and deserve credit! As usual the Ravens pick the best available at the most opportune time. McGlinchey is AOK