• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Injuries, Big Ben's Final Game and Farewell to A Cursed Season

yeah he dropped it - idk what to tell you - every receiver drops the ball and hollywood doesnt drop the ball more than other receivers... he had 1 bad game this year with drops which was the lions and for some reason that's put it in people's heads that he cant catch or compete and so when he drops that ball on the goal-line there people over-exaggerate it

and then look at the play on the boundary where minkah knocked it out and call that a drop as well (when it very much isnt) - like you hope he makes that play but that's an amazing play from minkah to dislodge it
Personally I was fine with the Minkah play you referenced. Besides the drop at the end zone, the other play that bothered me a little was the 3rd and 6 or 7 late in the game where he caught the ball about 2 yards short of he sticks and then ran out of bounds instead of trying to get the first down. Granted, he had a defender bearing down on him and maybe he wouldn’t have made it, but again he avoided contact first down be damned. I thinks far to ask why he ran a route 2 yards shy of the sticks to begin with but that could be on Roman.

I haven’t given up on Brown I’m just wondering if wouldn’t do better in a more pass friendly offense?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes but what achilles. Is it his right or left leg?

I don't know bro. Just provided a link. Does it really matter left or right leg? Lol!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Personally I was fine with the Minkah play you referenced. Besides the drop at the end zone, the other play that bothered me a little was the 3rd and 6 or 7 late in the game where he caught the ball about 2 yards short of he sticks and then ran out of bounds instead of trying to get the first down. Granted, he had a defender bearing down on him and maybe he wouldn’t have made it, but again he avoided contact first down be damned. I thinks far to ask why he ran a route 2 yards shy of the sticks to begin with but that could be on Roman.

I haven’t given up on Brown I’m just wondering if wouldn’t do better in a more pass friendly offense?

he didnt have a chance to turn it up - his momentum and the defender's attempted tackle took him out of bounds

but the route was the right depth - and play should have had a chance to convert but huntley took too long to get the ball there (not necessarily that he did anything majorly wrong but his decision to throw took a fraction too long and he didnt have the arm to drive it there quick enough - the route is designed to get hollywood in space just in front of the sticks with space to turn up and convert - the ball's supposed to get there straight after hollywood breaks but the ball didnt get there until hollywood was 2 or 3 steps out of the break which 1) gives the defender more time to react and break on the ball and 2) means that hollywood has less room to turn upfield because he's being lead closer to the sideline

was a good play just a timing issue - nothing to do with route depth - and once the timing was wrong it's difficult for hollywood to do anything there to try and convert - defender managed to get something on him and his momentum took him out of bounds anyway - if the ball gets to him a step earlier you probably do see him turn upfield to try and convert

also worth pointing out that hollywood was doing great in this offence to being the season with lamar there - was playing out of his skin and put himself amongst the best in the NFL at WR (certainly in terms of stats) - he's suffered as much from the OL issues and lamar's absence as anyone

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know bro. Just provided a link. Does it really matter left or right leg? Lol!
yes I would think it would. I'm just hoping its not his plant leg, while rushing the passer. More I think about it, he rushes pretty equally from either side. It could hurt him more if he only rushed from one side.

Anyway, thanks for sending it.

It would hurt more if he only rushed from one side of the field.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes I would think it would. I'm just hoping its not his plant leg, while rushing the passer. More I think about it, he rushes pretty equally from either side. It could hurt him more if he only rushed from one side.

I see. Not sure. You are welcome.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Pretty sure you fire off the dominant leg regardless of side, that’s more of a concern for an OL than a rusher I’d say

he didnt have a chance to turn it up - his momentum and the defender's attempted tackle took him out of bounds

but the route was the right depth - and play should have had a chance to convert but huntley took too long to get the ball there (not necessarily that he did anything majorly wrong but his decision to throw took a fraction too long and he didnt have the arm to drive it there quick enough - the route is designed to get hollywood in space just in front of the sticks with space to turn up and convert - the ball's supposed to get there straight after hollywood breaks but the ball didnt get there until hollywood was 2 or 3 steps out of the break which 1) gives the defender more time to react and break on the ball and 2) means that hollywood has less room to turn upfield because he's being lead closer to the sideline

was a good play just a timing issue - nothing to do with route depth - and once the timing was wrong it's difficult for hollywood to do anything there to try and convert - defender managed to get something on him and his momentum took him out of bounds anyway - if the ball gets to him a step earlier you probably do see him turn upfield to try and convert

also worth pointing out that hollywood was doing great in this offence to being the season with lamar there - was playing out of his skin and put himself amongst the best in the NFL at WR (certainly in terms of stats) - he's suffered as much from the OL issues and lamar's absence as anyone
I’d have to go back and look at it again but what I remember seeing was that the ball got there in plenty of time, and actually Brown took two steps after he caught the ball, to get out of bounds. No effort to turn it up field and get the first down. Fear of contact, or lack of effort? It seems that Huntley has become the scapegoat for allot of things that has nothing to do with him. Put Andrews in that same play, under the same conditions and tell me he wouldn’t make an effort to get the first down. Yeah I know he’s not Mark Andrews and he’s not a TE but the mental and physical effort is what I’m talking about with Brown, not ability to catch the ball. He’s great in free space but when things get physical he lacks size and toughness. Just my opinion.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d have to go back and look at it again but what I remember seeing was that the ball got there in plenty of time, and actually Brown took two steps after he caught the ball, to get out of bounds. No effort to turn it up field and get the first down. Fear of contact, or lack of effort? It seems that Huntley has become the scapegoat for allot of things that has nothing to do with him. Put Andrews in that same play, under the same conditions and tell me he wouldn’t make an effort to get the first down. Yeah I know he’s not Mark Andrews and he’s not a TE but the mental and physical effort is what I’m talking about with Brown, not ability to catch the ball. He’s great in free space but when things get physical he lacks size and toughness. Just my opinion.
I believe his momentum carried him out of bounds.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i went back to look at the play to double-check before i wrote my comment because i didnt want to be wrong lol

3rd quarter 6:20 to go if you want to have a look to check for yourself

and no one's questioning that hollywood is somehow some physical receiver - im only challenging those who think his effort is lacking or that he's getting plays wrong

i went back to look at the play to double-check before i wrote my comment because i didnt want to be wrong lol

3rd quarter 6:20 to go if you want to have a look to check for yourself

and no one's questioning that hollywood is somehow some physical receiver - im only challenging those who think his effort is lacking or that he's getting plays wrong
I don’t think I ever said he’s getting plays wrong but upon further review, the throw was weak, no doubt. But from the time Brown caught the ball until he steps out of bounds he takes 4 steps, and Sutton never even got a big push on him. He dove and both his hands went to either side of brown. I think there was opportunity there to at least make the effort to get the first down. Whether he did or could have is irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make. He just ran straight out of bounds.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I don’t think I ever said he’s getting plays wrong but upon further review, the throw was weak, no doubt. But from the time Brown caught the ball until he steps out of bounds he takes 4 steps, and Sutton never even got a big push on him. He dove and both his hands went to either side of brown. I think there was opportunity there to at least make the effort to get the first down. Whether he did or could have is irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make. He just ran straight out of bounds.
Didn’t even think about trying.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
especially with andrews in all-pro form and bateman coming on - hollywood's gonna see so much space downfield or he's going to draw a safety and leave bateman 1v1 on the outside

as long as we've got a pocket that lamar can trust - these receivers will eat
Hollywood being a really good deep threat does a lot, yeah Huntley isn't going to throw it to him on those clearouts but he provides Andrews and Bateman a lot of space.

He's had some bad drops and really amazing catches, I can't help but feel this guy has become a punching bag for this fan base. As bad as some of the drops were I can think of many times he was wide open and Lamar or Huntley missed him on a read. He's going to be a monster next year. I hope he's a Raven for a long time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hollywood being a really good deep threat does a lot, yeah Huntley isn't going to throw it to him on those clearouts but he provides Andrews and Bateman a lot of space.

He's had some bad drops and really amazing catches, I can't help but feel this guy has become a punching bag for this fan base. As bad as some of the drops were I can think of many times he was wide open and Lamar or Huntley missed him on a read. He's going to be a monster next year. I hope he's a Raven for a long time.

exactly this - feels like any criticism not levied at roman in the passing game gets sent hollywood's way

exactly this - feels like any criticism not levied at roman in the passing game gets sent hollywood's way
I just don’t believe this. The criticism has been pretty evenly distributed IMO. Lamar, Huntley, O line, Roman, and yes Brown has had his share as well.

in Haubaugh’s presser on Sunday he made a comment that went something like this: “We just couldn’t make the right calls to put the guys in a position to be successful. As coaches that is the most disappointing”. A shot over the bow at Roman?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just don’t believe this. The criticism has been pretty evenly distributed IMO. Lamar, Huntley, O line, Roman, and yes Brown has had his share as well.

in Haubaugh’s presser on Sunday he made a comment that went something like this: “We just couldn’t make the right calls to put the guys in a position to be successful. As coaches that is the most disappointing”. A shot over the bow at Roman?

Well I think any OC who decides to give the ball to freaking Eric Tomlinson to run on 3rd and inches when your RB is actually doing pretty good deserves to be called out on the BS.

Well I think any OC who decides to give the ball to freaking Eric Tomlinson to run on 3rd and inches when your RB is actually doing pretty good deserves to be called out on the BS.
And where was the running game in the first half? Pitt was ranked 29th in the league against the run and I think we only ran 3 or 4 called running plays. Then Murray goes off the 2nd half. Lol. Makes you scratch you head.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
And where was the running game in the first half? Pitt was ranked 29th in the league against the run and I think we only ran 3 or 4 called running plays. Then Murray goes off the 2nd half. Lol. Makes you scratch you head.

I mean with the stereotypical run based offense, you'd think we would have done some homework on Pitt and came out running the ball down their throats. I know the run game hasn't been there, but against one of the worst run defenses, why not at least try