• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Injuries, Big Ben's Final Game and Farewell to A Cursed Season

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He's not taking $15M a year today either.
he may not. We won't know if this is true though, because they won't try to extend him. But lets be clear, none of us know whether he would take it or not. Most likely not though.

Tank

Hall of Famer
If you go back and look at his draft analysis one of his negatives was his physical stature, and his inability to win those 50/50 battles with DB’s. It is playing out in front of us, and in some cases worse. That drop in the end zone last night was caused by him knowing he was gonna take a big hit. It’s in his head and causing him to fold up on some big opportunities.
Definitely in his head, don't think there was anyone close enough to hit him.

i dont think it was at all - the endzone one yesterday was just a drop on a wet day when he got thrown a missile
he's never shown he's afraid of taking hits at the catch-point - he's just not been taking hits after the catch much

we've seen him put his body on the line to make catches numerous times
Well we’ll just have disagree. If you go back and look at the play you’ll see a defender closing on his left side and a defender on his right. The ball was thrown at his numbers. Wet night or not he has to make that catch. He’s our #1 right now. You’re talking about a WR we are most likely going to pay $15 to $18 mil/year.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
That won't be from us, although it really depends on where the salary cap is as well. Just dont think we pay him that much and at this point it will be how much he wants to stay with Lamar.
You don’t think so? I wouldn’t rule it out to be honest. It really depends on a lot of factors but I would not be surprised if we did extend him for market money. He’s the best WR we have ever drafted and it’s not close.

Tank

Hall of Famer
i dont think it was at all - the endzone one yesterday was just a drop on a wet day when he got thrown a missile
he's never shown he's afraid of taking hits at the catch-point - he's just not been taking hits after the catch much

we've seen him put his body on the line to make catches numerous times
'Cmon man! I gotta say it seems you were watching a different game. He totally lost focus and just didn't make what was a pretty simple catch. And Huntley doesn't throw missiles. Right? lol There were guys on both teams making catches all day, the wet day thing just doesn't fly. And making that routine catch flips the game right into our favor. Terrible timing for a bad drop.

Dude regularly throws in sucky games now and again, it just who he is right now, very inconsistent. I hope he rights the ship next year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You don’t think so? I wouldn’t rule it out to be honest. It really depends on a lot of factors but I would not be surprised if we did extend him for market money. He’s the best WR we have ever drafted and it’s not close.
Yes, this is what gives me pause and not knowing what the salary cap will be. It is still possible they want to keep Lamar, Hollywood and Andrews together. That trio has done very well together. Add in Bateman and viola.

marklar

Pro Bowler
The problem with guessing contracts into the future is as someone else already hinted at earlier; for the last 10 years, the cap has jumped maybe 7% per year on average and will jump a lot more the next few years after the covid effects wear off. And with the rookie deals locked at absolut values and not increasing the same way, the increase for FAs is even larger than the annual cap increase. So the WR contracts signed in 2023 (after Brown's 5th year option) will be at least 25%, if not 35% higher than the contracts offered in 2020, where we had contracts like 18M for Golladay (which is a bit of an outlier, but anyways).
So the better question to ask is "is an AAV of 8-10% of the cap a reasonable price for $HIGH_END_RECEIVER?". Insert "Hollywood Brown" for this specific discussion.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, this is what gives me pause and not knowing what the salary cap will be. It is still possible they want to keep Lamar, Hollywood and Andrews together. That trio has done very well together. Add in Bateman and viola.
Yeah. I mean both are 1st round picks, so we have them for 5ish years at minimum based on 5th year options. They were drafted roughly 2 years apart (2019 vs. 2021) so there's some spread there where you could keep both depending on the deal and structure it so you could cut Brown if he sucks.
The problem with guessing contracts into the future is as someone else already hinted at earlier; for the last 10 years, the cap has jumped maybe 7% per year on average and will jump a lot more the next few years after the covid effects wear off. And with the rookie deals locked at absolut values and not increasing the same way, the increase for FAs is even larger than the annual cap increase. So the WR contracts signed in 2023 (after Brown's 5th year option) will be at least 25%, if not 35% higher than the contracts offered in 2020, where we had contracts like 18M for Golladay (which is a bit of an outlier, but anyways).
So the better question to ask is "is an AAV of 8-10% of the cap a reasonable price for $HIGH_END_RECEIVER?". Insert "Hollywood Brown" for this specific discussion.
I like your programming variables there. Giving me PHP nightmare flashbacks. But yes, salaries will only increase more and more as the cap does. Nobody cares even when cap was lowered due to COVID lost revenue.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That also just assumes that the value of player contracts increases at the same rate as the salary cap. That's not really true across all position groups. WR has been a high rising group, but that doesn't mean it will continue to do so perpetually.

QB contracts, for example, rise at a much faster rate than the cap increases, but positions like tight end, for example, don't.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone have any info on Tyus Bowser. Whether he tore the right or left achilles (back or front leg)

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have to say. I went from not liking him to having Hollywood and Brown two of my favorite options. I wanted one of the Browns and didn't care which one. Deebo was my 3rd favorite but his hamstring issues he had in college scared me.

my top 3 in that 2019 class on my board:

Hollywood
Deebo
AJ

please dont ask me who 4 and 5 were because it's embarrassing lol... but hey at least i was right about n'keal harry being rubbish

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just to be clear....if yesterday's game which had major playoff possibilities for the Ravens with them beating their arch-nemesis Big Ben and the Steelers, to avoid being swept by them 2 years in a row and allowing him to ride off into the sunset with a "W" at M&T Bank Stadium, while also bringing T-Sizzle back (interestingly for this game) as the "Legend of the Game" doesn't count as a big game; what does count as a big game?

i guess we see things differently but we had a less than 5% chance of making the playoffs yesterday
we had a backup QB and backups everywhere

major playoff possibilities seems like it's over-egging it a bit lol

only thing that made it a big game was the steelers and big ben and the chance to knock them out also

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well we’ll just have disagree. If you go back and look at the play you’ll see a defender closing on his left side and a defender on his right. The ball was thrown at his numbers. Wet night or not he has to make that catch. He’s our #1 right now. You’re talking about a WR we are most likely going to pay $15 to $18 mil/year.

yeah he dropped it - idk what to tell you - every receiver drops the ball and hollywood doesnt drop the ball more than other receivers... he had 1 bad game this year with drops which was the lions and for some reason that's put it in people's heads that he cant catch or compete and so when he drops that ball on the goal-line there people over-exaggerate it

and then look at the play on the boundary where minkah knocked it out and call that a drop as well (when it very much isnt) - like you hope he makes that play but that's an amazing play from minkah to dislodge it

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess we see things differently but we had a less than 5% chance of making the playoffs yesterday
we had a backup QB and backups everywhere

major playoff possibilities seems like it's over-egging it a bit lol

only thing that made it a big game was the steelers and big ben and the chance to knock them out also

Interestingly, you said earlier that it wasn't a big game but now you are saying the only thing that made it a big game was Big Ben and the ability to knock them out of the playoffs. Which is it, bro? See, we all see things differently and that's kool with me. And, to say that yesterday's game had major playoff "possibilities" (the key word being "possibilities") is not over-egging anything in my book lol.

The Ravens needed 4 things to go in their favor for them to back into the playoffs. They were:

1. Beat the Steelers - they lost!
2. Jaguars win - Check!
3. Raiders win - Check!
4. Patriots win - they lost!

So, had the Ravens handled their own business yesterday, and got the "W," 3 of the 4 things that they needed for them to even sniff the playoffs would have worked in their favor. So to me, that game yesterday was a big game. But, to each his own! :cool:

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Interestingly, you said earlier that it wasn't a big game but now you are saying the only thing that made it a big game was Big Ben and the ability to knock them out of the playoffs. Which is it, bro? See, we all see things differently and that's kool with me. And, to say that yesterday's game had major playoff "possibilities" (the key word being "possibilities") is not over-egging anything in my book lol.

The Ravens needed 4 things to go in their favor for them to back into the playoffs. They were:

1. Beat the Steelers - they lost!
2. Jaguars win - Check!
3. Raiders win - Check!
4. Patriots win - they lost!

So, had the Ravens handled their own business yesterday, and got the "W," 3 of the 4 things needed for them to even sniff the playoffs would have worked in their favor. Therefore, making that game yesterday a big game in my book. But, to each his own! :cool:
No doubt it was the biggest game the Ravens played in all year, the only must win situation they faced. Gotta say most of the guys played well in what was a real tough spot.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
No doubt it was the biggest game the Ravens played in all year, the only must win situation they faced. Gotta say most of the guys played well in what was a real tough spot.

They did play well. And, I agree that it was a big game cause now, they are sitting on the couch while the 9-7-1 Steelers are in their playoff spot and the Ravens fell to the bottom of the division and looking up at the 3 other teams in the AFC North standings after leading the division for a few weeks. Smh! How the mighty have fallen.