• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is gonna be a big offseason. New defense is taking over and offensively we gotta find OL continuity, there's probably a new center, get Lamar as comfortable as possible, reaclimate the running backs, and build more receiver chemistry. Also if we're not bringing back Ricard and moving towards more 11 personnel, getting Lamar more comfortable there too.

if im honest - that last point is probably not that big a deal, we already play more 11 personnel than any other personnel package and lamar's been in pro-style offences with 3 WR sets as a staple all the way through college too

the other reason im ok with moving on from ricard is it probably makes checks vs the blitz easier when we don't go max-protect - if ricard's on the field and a team zero-blitzes us then we dont have a slot receiver other than a TE (who we have to hope is andrews) and a slot receiver checking into a slant is the easiest way to beat those sorts of blitzes

also running 11 more spreads the defence more - if they want to send a DB blitz they have to telegraph it a bit more with the corner cheating towards the TE box at the LoS if he wants to have any chance of getting to the QB before the ball's out

but the other stuff is definitely important - it's cool that he got an early workout in with bateman and proche in california, would be cool if later in the offseason (maybe during the down month in june before training camp) he can get the whole group together but it's probably most important for bateman given the way the 2021 offseason went

chemistry with a C is obviously important especially with them getting used to each other in terms of line calls and setting protections but depending on where we get the C, we might find that Zeitler is able to hand-hold them through it a bit (if they're a younger guy or a rookie)

but im super excited about the defence - we've got a young coordinator whose mission statement is to bring this version of the defence into this decade and adapt it to modern schemes and philosophies - not going away from being aggressive or proactive and not going away from the idea that we still want to be the aggressor and dictate - but updating the methodology within the system to create positive outcomes again - and obviously it's also exciting because hopefully you've got young playmakers on defence to grow within the system with him (and with the change in coordinator perhaps adapting the scheme to fit the personnel we have rather than the old scheme which was, to a certain extent, designed around key players who were all gone 2 years later)

it's gonna be exciting and we havent even got to the draft yet lol

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
1 year deal worth $4.5M for Averett, I know we couldn't match the $4M but would have been cool if he signed a one year deal with us and stayed another year.
Yeah but he probably didn’t want to come back as others said. Just no room and I think it was mutual. We probably want to get more draft picks there. Cheap labor and good and this class seems solid. I imagine there will be an early run as a lot of teams target these CBs.
I wonder if we will have a surprise Lamar extension.
I’ve wondered the same thing. Not going to lie but maybe Lamar is waiting to see what we do in FA before extending. He seems to want to be here but hasn’t been urgent to sign. Could be a lot of reasons, and I imagine there are many reasons. That may be just one of them. A Lamar extension would be amazing

A1A

Veteran
It's hard for me to get excited about the season when we kept the same HC and OC...but just like you can't pick your family...Let's go!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
if im honest - that last point is probably not that big a deal, we already play more 11 personnel than any other personnel package and lamar's been in pro-style offences with 3 WR sets as a staple all the way through college too

the other reason im ok with moving on from ricard is it probably makes checks vs the blitz easier when we don't go max-protect - if ricard's on the field and a team zero-blitzes us then we dont have a slot receiver other than a TE (who we have to hope is andrews) and a slot receiver checking into a slant is the easiest way to beat those sorts of blitzes

also running 11 more spreads the defence more - if they want to send a DB blitz they have to telegraph it a bit more with the corner cheating towards the TE box at the LoS if he wants to have any chance of getting to the QB before the ball's out

but the other stuff is definitely important - it's cool that he got an early workout in with bateman and proche in california, would be cool if later in the offseason (maybe during the down month in june before training camp) he can get the whole group together but it's probably most important for bateman given the way the 2021 offseason went

chemistry with a C is obviously important especially with them getting used to each other in terms of line calls and setting protections but depending on where we get the C, we might find that Zeitler is able to hand-hold them through it a bit (if they're a younger guy or a rookie)

but im super excited about the defence - we've got a young coordinator whose mission statement is to bring this version of the defence into this decade and adapt it to modern schemes and philosophies - not going away from being aggressive or proactive and not going away from the idea that we still want to be the aggressor and dictate - but updating the methodology within the system to create positive outcomes again - and obviously it's also exciting because hopefully you've got young playmakers on defence to grow within the system with him (and with the change in coordinator perhaps adapting the scheme to fit the personnel we have rather than the old scheme which was, to a certain extent, designed around key players who were all gone 2 years later)

it's gonna be exciting and we havent even got to the draft yet lol
Well said!!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
My son doing God's work. Work is worship my son, Lamar. Don't look at money, work hard to create a legacy. Money will follow you wherever you are. My advice to Lamar after last season. My boy's delivering.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
That was really encouraging. Man we could really have something between him Hollywood and Andrews.
Exactly. That’s more than enough plus our RBs. There’s people on YouTube praying we trade for soft ass Metcalf lol