• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The more I think about it, the more I think we're going to start the year with 4 WRs. I think we'll go heavy at some other positions and see how things are going. If we need to make moves we will but we'll likely have a ton of guys on the PS for call ups or what not.

Obviously wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see a vet added, but it's not inconceivable that we go 4 to start. Especially with 4 RBs and 4TEs
I'd say pretty much no chance of that. WR's play a lot of ST. You're not going to go into the season looking like that.
Still carry 5-6 WRs like normal.
If you're including Ricard as a RB, then yes, 4. If not, I would be shocked to see us carry 5 RBs. If Edwards and Dobbins are healthy enough to practice, play, and rotate, they're not carrying 4 RBs.
4 TEs is a maybe, though no way they're all active on gameday.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'd say pretty much no chance of that. WR's play a lot of ST. You're not going to go into the season looking like that.
If you're including Ricard as a RB, then yes, 4. If not, I would be shocked to see us carry 5 RBs. If Edwards and Dobbins are healthy enough to practice, play, and rotate, they're not carrying 4 RBs.
Yeah this is thing. I think that spot opens from RB. If the 2 starters are ready to go, then you only need 3. If one or both aren't and they're on the pup then you have the spot anyway. So you should easily be able to add another WR.

jboy19

Pro Bowler

If they're factoring ST into their 53 man roster construction, I could see them keep Justice Hill as a 5th RB over a 5th WR. He's been a solid ST player who has gotten a lot of reps and is less likely to get to the practice squad than whoever the 5th best WR on the roster is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The more I think about it, the more I think we're going to start the year with 4 WRs. I think we'll go heavy at some other positions and see how things are going. If we need to make moves we will but we'll likely have a ton of guys on the PS for call ups or what not.

Obviously wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see a vet added, but it's not inconceivable that we go 4 to start. Especially with 4 RBs and 4TEs

the closer we get to the season without adding someone, the more likely it is to happen

the first checkpoint to get past before we really start considering it though is the 26th of July when the vets come into camp and get ready to do the conditioning test

i think what makes it more likely is if some of those big name WRs are still unextended and if someone like Odell is unsigned going into the year - if those things all happen then it's possible we enter the season with what we've got, knowing that we can always make a move later in the year either by trade or by signing OBJ

there certainly doesnt have to be urgency to make a move right now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But why hasn't it? We have what 3 examples.

Titans:
This game was a total mess. So many drops and bad decisions. Awful game. But we moved the ball for over 500 yards of offense. We just didn't play well when it mattered like red zone and 4th downs.

Titans rematch:
We won this ugly, low scoring game. I think this may be your best example that the offense doesn't do well in playoff games. We couldn't do much of anything and one drive where we threw it to Ricard like 5 times and got a TD was the difference maker. Really bad game.

Bills:
Horrible game for both sides. Just extremely bad for us because Mekari decided he couldn't snap well any more and got Lamar knocked out. Also Lamar made one critical error in the red zone. But that day was so cold and windy it effected both teams. Josh Allen was awful that day too and so were the entire Bill's team. Hollywood was dusting White left and right, Huntley just couldn't get him the ball.

So my thing is this offense has had:
One super productive loss
One total stinker with no excuses
One stinker when the weather was nuts and both sides were awful.

Does this mean the offense can't perform well in the playoffs? I'm not sure I'd say that. We found in all our loses the issue was the OL not the WRs. This year may be our first chance since 2019 to have a good OL again. And remember in 2019 we were productive in our playoff game, just inexperienced and not clutch.

also our main personnel in all 3 of those games was 11 personnel... we were 3 wide more than any other personnel group in those 3 games

as you say it's notable that our OL got beaten up in all 3 of those games - that's the main commonality in those 3 teams falling apart - and notable that the one you describe as a super-productive loss had the best OL group of the 3 games listed (but also was missing the C that had helped make the offence so successful the first 3/4 of the season)... bozeman and mekari got beaten up at LG and C in that Titans game

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah this is thing. I think that spot opens from RB. If the 2 starters are ready to go, then you only need 3. If one or both aren't and they're on the pup then you have the spot anyway. So you should easily be able to add another WR.

i really think we're gonna at least start the season with 4
JK and Gus i think will be ready to go or close enough that we don't want to i/r them and prevent them from practicing
Badie's basically a lock at this point if he can play on special teams
and if JK and Gus aren't quite ready but are healthy enough to be on the roster then I think Davis is gonna make the roster and play snaps and if they are ready then I think Justice Hill may well make the team still with his special teams prowess

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If they're factoring ST into their 53 man roster construction, I could see them keep Justice Hill as a 5th RB over a 5th WR. He's been a solid ST player who has gotten a lot of reps and is less likely to get to the practice squad than whoever the 5th best WR on the roster is.

also if we're just talking special teams then no obvious reason why it can't be DBs (that we have loads of) instead of WRs - especially as Tylan Wallace is basically locked in as one of our 2 main gunners already anyway based on last year's play

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its more factors to playoff success than matchups though.. this same offense have let us down in the playoffs every year that we went.
Right but every year is different. The reasons we lost were different in pretty much every game. What happened in the past is a world-class bad predictor for what's going to happen in the future.
Nobody really thinks Cincinnati was the best team in the AFC last year. They played well at the right time and matched up well with all the teams they played in the playoffs. Hence, they went to the SB.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
But why hasn't it? We have what 3 examples.

Titans:
This game was a total mess. So many drops and bad decisions. Awful game. But we moved the ball for over 500 yards of offense. We just didn't play well when it mattered like red zone and 4th downs.

Titans rematch:
We won this ugly, low scoring game. I think this may be your best example that the offense doesn't do well in playoff games. We couldn't do much of anything and one drive where we threw it to Ricard like 5 times and got a TD was the difference maker. Really bad game.

Bills:
Horrible game for both sides. Just extremely bad for us because Mekari decided he couldn't snap well any more and got Lamar knocked out. Also Lamar made one critical error in the red zone. But that day was so cold and windy it effected both teams. Josh Allen was awful that day too and so were the entire Bill's team. Hollywood was dusting White left and right, Huntley just couldn't get him the ball.

So my thing is this offense has had:
One super productive loss
One total stinker with no excuses
One stinker when the weather was nuts and both sides were awful.

Does this mean the offense can't perform well in the playoffs? I'm not sure I'd say that. We found in all our loses the issue was the OL not the WRs. This year may be our first chance since 2019 to have a good OL again. And remember in 2019 we were productive in our playoff game, just inexperienced and not clutch.
So in all examples, stuff just went bad for us? I mean it worked well in regular season yet come playoff time it doesnt work in all 3 games? That titans game was literally garbage yards by the way. Unless our defense plays lights out, im expecting the same results as previous years

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
was he with us in the preseason? i thought he joined the team during the year but i could be wrong

foster merill and adrian ealy were the 2 "unknown" guys who people were talking themselves into during the preseason at tackle iirc
I can’t remember at all and it definitely wasn’t ealy or Merrill, it was either Sharpe or jones-smith and one of them looked really good in preseason, albeit against a bunch of future accountants and insurance salesmen, but he looked good

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Right but every year is different. The reasons we lost were different in pretty much every game. What happened in the past is a world-class bad predictor for what's going to happen in the future.
Nobody really thinks Cincinnati was the best team in the AFC last year. They played well at the right time and matched up well with all the teams they played in the playoffs. Hence, they went to the SB.
We legit run the same offensive as we did in the past lol so idk how thats a bad predictor for the future.. all playoff games, our offense failed. Greg roman offense has been the same way before he got here and nothing has yet to changed..bengals have a well rounded team and most talented offense in afc and probably the whole nfl

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So in all examples, stuff just went bad for us? I mean it worked well in regular season yet come playoff time it doesnt work in all 3 games? That titans game was literally garbage yards by the way. Unless our defense plays lights out, im expecting the same results as previous years
Titans game wasn’t garbage yards, we had racked up a shit ton of yards well before the game was out of reach, we relied on a lot of fourth down conversions and then failed at them against the titans, and we also had a lot of dropped passes that would’ve extended drives, and then of course Lamar went nuts with turnovers.

None of that was scheme. 500 yards means nothing when you don’t get in the endzone, and that doesn’t automatically constitute garbage yards either, just drives that we failed to finish and in that game it was all execution

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We legit run the same offensive as we did in the past lol so idk how thats a bad predictor for the future.. all playoff games, our offense failed. Greg roman offense has been the same way before he got here and nothing has yet to changed..bengals have a well rounded team and most talented offense in afc and probably the whole nfl
Well the 2018 offense look a TON different than 2019, and 2019 looked a lot different than 2020. Especially in terms of what we did in the playoffs.

There's only one thing that universally failed the same way in the last three postseason losses, and that was the Oline not holding up in pass protection. They were bad in '18, bad in '19, bad in '20.

There's very few other similarities among those three playoff losses in terms of what we did offensively. Very different from each other.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
First titans game we didn't score touchdowns and we didn't convert 4th downs. Probably largely on the players not GRo.

Second titans game, that game was awful to watch. Probably bad on players and GRo. No excuse for this one. They just were bad.

Bill's game, the weather made both teams awful.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
First titans game we didn't score touchdowns and we didn't convert 4th downs. Probably largely on the players not GRo.

Second titans game, that game was awful to watch. Probably bad on players and GRo. No excuse for this one. They just were bad.

Bill's game, the weather made both teams awful.
Basically, yes.
I mean 2018 is kind of a throw away obviously, because we basically didn't pass at all and everybody knew it. We played a team we'd already played who realized we couldn't pass, and they beat us.
2019 was basically just dropped passes, bad pass protection, and sloppy turnovers. Did you actually watch that game? I've yet to see anybody actually think that game was a "Roman" problem. Roman doesn't drop passes, make errant throws, or miss blocking assignments badly.
2020 I can sort of get behind the idea of a bad gameplan, except I really can't fault them for doing anything differently than what I would have done.

So yes, you can lose three playoff games in three consecutive years and obviously not have it be the same problem. We were good in 2018, 2019 and 2020, but we were never like unbeatable. It's not like every single week were just bulldozing people at will. Especially not in 2020.