• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Everybody’s favorite pick

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Go back in all the drafts. What was one player you loved and or the ravens were poised to grab but missed out on or was leapfrogged by a team that saw the glaring need. Think players like Marqise Lee, Diggs, Zack Martin, Dez Bryant, Grady Jarrett ODB

Mine has to be Rob Gronkowski by a landslide. Although I wanted Geno Atkins and Marqise and Diggs and Bryant. It was how we lost out on Gronk. TE was an glaring target. Ozzie thought he fooled everybody when he said Gronk was off his board. And after getting outfoxed for Dez. Ravens were outGronked by Belichick. I was soooooo pissed ravens were leapfrogged and outwitted twice in one draft and was left settling for next best. Allow me to say I believed he would be a probowl TE. A more athletic faster Witten. But in now way did I realize he was gonna bulk up to 278lbs and not lose a touch of speed and athleticism. If anything got faster as he fully recovered from the injury that sidelined him in college. His 4.63 is actually a little slow compared to what he coulda performed as he was in the process of getting back up to speed.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
i dont know if this counts but i was all in on aaron donald in 2014

Yes that does count!! He was in striking distance of a trade up. And duuuuude great pick there!! Donald is a monster. And smallish yet powerful and very explosive penetrators is such a unique intriguing and awesome skillet

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was pissed about gronk too, I was barely into the draft then but I thought gronk was bound to be a monster.

I was pissed when the eagles took agholor, when the chargers shocked us all and took bosa, and more than anything I was mad we passed on diggs time and time again.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh fuck how could I forget, when Barnett and hooker go 1 and 2 before us, specifically Barnett. When the eagles took him I seriously could've shit my pants with anger.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Gronk is one of the biggest freaks in football ever!! 6’6 278lbs and freakishly athletic. He is faster and more athletic than many Hback non blocking TE’s and possession receivers. Yet as big and strong as JJ Watt. He can block like a left tackle. And he is a football player. He takes the place of a NO.1 WR as a NO.1 option. If Brady locked on one receiver more often Gronks numbers could be off the charts. He is maybe the most unstoppable player in the NFL.

A game late this season Patriots needed to score with less than a minute and the 2 point conversion. He went to Gronk on every throw. 3 straight big plays then the 2 point conversion.
He could be that No.1 weapon the offense has needed forever. His blocking could be as impressive. On one block he obliterated Terrell Suggs like a toy cornerback. He Knocked him soaring to the ground. He did it with one shove. Shot his hands out at Suggs and sent him flying. Suggs got up and actually respected a TE could do that.lol. He plays like a raven. The ravens would be a different team with Gronk!!

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I was pissed about gronk too, I was barely into the draft then but I thought gronk was bound to be a monster.

I was pissed when the eagles took agholor, when the chargers shocked us all and took bosa, and more than anything I was mad we passed on diggs time and time again.

I knew Gronk was gonna be great but not quite like he is lol. Hooker sucked losing out on him. I liked him better than lattimore. Boss sucked losing out on as well. I wasn’t as big on Ramsey but he surprised me.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh fuck how could I forget, when Barnett and hooker go 1 and 2 before us, specifically Barnett. When the eagles took him I seriously could've shit my pants with anger.
These are the two that really got to me as well. We could have finally had another Reed-esque center fielder and he goes right before us.

The other one that really comes to mind is Dez Bryant. If he slid just a little further he would have been a Raven.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I don't know, I'm not one to complain about who we don't get and just enjoy who we do get. TBH Ozzie and I are not on the same wave length at all, I don't remember him making a pick that I wanted, Tim Williams excepted.

But I guess you could say I really liked Su'a Cravens and we could have had him even after trading back twice. That's the one guy I was like "Fuck". Otherwise I'm never in a "TAKE THIS GUY" mood, rather "Oh Fuck here it comes who is it gonna be???"

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't know, I'm not one to complain about who we don't get and just enjoy who we do get. TBH Ozzie and I are not on the same wave length at all, I don't remember him making a pick that I wanted, Tim Williams excepted.

But I guess you could say I really liked Su'a Cravens and we could have had him even after trading back twice. That's the one guy I was like "Fuck". Otherwise I'm never in a "TAKE THIS GUY" mood, rather "Oh Fuck here it comes who is it gonna be???"

the only time i was like that was when the perriman pick came down - i had no idea who the pick was gonna be and was mostly expecting a trade down, especially as the media had hyped up perriman because of his pro day and i just thought it wouldnt be him.... and then it was...

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
the only time i was like that was when the perriman pick came down - i had no idea who the pick was gonna be and was mostly expecting a trade down, especially as the media had hyped up perriman because of his pro day and i just thought it wouldnt be him.... and then it was...
What you're describing is what I felt when we picked Stanley, after the bong video and the rumors about Jack's knee, I was like "Oh fuck now who can we pick?" and hoped for a trade back. I hated it when it was announced Stanley before actually watching the tape and be like "Hey, he doesn't look as bad as everyone said".

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No, Barnett was MY boi. As someone who lives in Knoxville, TN, Barnett was my boy long before last year.
I'll admit I didn't like Barnett at first, his sophomore and junior years, it was only once college season ended I began to like him and he became my favorite prospect to watch literally ever.

I was so fascinated at his bending ability, it's possibly the best I've ever seen from a college player, and for a guy so big and strong it's even more impressive. The angle he takes when he shoulder dips is just absurd, only player I've seen who gets as low as Barnett on the shoulder dip is Demarcus ware.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Never said bust. Didn’t believe he could ever be a game wrecker we needed in round1. Woulda taken him b4 Humph.
Someone said flat out Barnett was gonna be a bust on the old boards, as adamantly as one could state it... I strongly believe it was you

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll admit I didn't like Barnett at first, his sophomore and junior years, it was only once college season ended I began to like him and he became my favorite prospect to watch literally ever.

I was so fascinated at his bending ability, it's possibly the best I've ever seen from a college player, and for a guy so big and strong it's even more impressive. The angle he takes when he shoulder dips is just absurd, only player I've seen who gets as low as Barnett on the shoulder dip is Demarcus ware.
He was so damn fun to watch. He literally almost gets parallel to the ground lol he bascally defies the laws of gravity when he bends around the edge. Words can not describe how bad I wanted him on our team. The whole draft was soured for me when he was taken right before we were up.